Mordhau

I appreciate the mini buff but archery is still a joke

717 587

@Bmufumac said:
lol you mean the sweaty nerds to know how to press q? Too bad they fall to pieces the moment you morph an attack or pull out a shield. What makes you think that just because I like to fill kniggas with arrows I don't know how to swordfight. People who can't take advantage of bows or other ranged weapons are missing out on half the game. If you can't dodge/parry arrows you have only yourself to blame.

lol have u ever fought anyone who parries at the last second instead of predicting when to block

33 34
  • 11 Jun
 Bmufumac

90% of the brainlets playing this game will fall for the stab to overhead morph over and over again. "Parrying at the last second" isn't going to save you, since the speed of a stab requires reaction time that most people don't have, so they parry towards the end of the windup. Naturally, morphing to overhead will punish this directly. People also give up the initiative and play defensively when they should be punishing the slower weapon because they think a much faster stab is coming and they don't know how to chamber.

717 587

@Bmufumac said:
"Parrying at the last second" isn't going to save you, since the speed of a stab requires reaction time that most people don't have

lol guess not

33 34
  • 11 Jun
 Bmufumac

Bottom line, even if you can out-duel me I'll just shoot you, over and over again

717 587

@Bmufumac said:
Bottom line, even if you can out-duel me I'll just shoot you, over and over again

easiest dodges of my life

33 34
  • 11 Jun
 Bmufumac

Implying I won't just wait till you are busy fighting someone. Good luck!

717 587

@Bmufumac said:
Implying I won't just wait till you are busy fighting someone. Good luck!

high skill cap gameplay btw

717 587

when ur atrophied gamer muscles can't hold up to any real FPS so u need to main an archer in a melee game

Knight 100 370
  • 11 Jun
 McMercy

@Bmufumac you look like a prominant forum creature. Me and my organization would like to collect you to our zoo. You will be hearing from us

33 34
  • 11 Jun
 Bmufumac

based zoo poster

383 577
 smug

The vast majority of people who think archery shouldn't be strong in this game are people who have a scrub mentality. All avenues to win in the game are viable playstyles, and honor doesn't exist at all if you are truly a competitor. I play duel mostly and I still believe that Mordhau isn't and shouldn't simply be a DOOLZ simulator. You aren't truly appreciating Mordhau unless you take the game as a holistic package and embrace EVERYTHING much like it if it was a fps game like TF2/Enemy Territory and so forth

Have you ever tried to contest a skilled sniper in any fps game? Even though theoretically you can SHOOT at them, they are most likely abusing angles and sightlines that give them an advantage in any situation that isn't AT LEAST a mid range engagement( and even then most snipers win close/midrange engagements through sheer mechanical skill alone) The game is most likely designed to have weapon dmg drop offs so even if you hit your shots more consistently a sniper is always in advantage at longer ranges.

Compare that to Mordhau where not only are archers not that lethal at long range you also have ways to interact with them unlike snipers in fps games by parrying, or just swinging your weapon and getting lucky when your weapon tracer collides with an arrow which happens A LOT. The best position for archers in Mordhau is ironically close as fuck to their melee line, which puts them in constant peril because of horses, people parrying their obvious fucking arrows, people rushing them at melee range and so on and so on. Their function as of right now is a worse support class when you could rather run a halberd/spear and fulfill virtually the same role, except those weapons do more damage and are generally more consistent in terms of dps output. It's very telling how the community of scrubs STILL whine about archers when the developers have literally gone out of their way to do ANYTHING they could to make archery not relevant.

The devs simply overnerfed archery because they fear it would be too strong, however the game proves us otherwise and they need to buff it in some ways to bring things into true balance. It's not that the devs dont believe ranged play shouldn't interfere with melee play, look at their implementation of the two shot javelins. They also do not fear that archery will fuck up frontline, because look at the other cancer mechanics within Frontline that exist that FAR exceed archery in power including: horses, ballistas, catapults, etc. They FEAR the longbow specifically because of Chiv. Please don't sit here and tell me that riding around on a ferrari horse that goes from 0 to 100 in literally 2 seconds while landing 1 hit bodyshots with couched lances/spears takes more skill than weaving a slow moving projectile in between your allies headshotting a guy to save them. Getting 40 kills in a Frontline with the longbow is a heroic feat and while I can manage 50 kills sometimes, it's a lot easier for me to get 80 kills instead just running around in a retard FL server with my waraxe loadout spamming morphs and flash feints because nobody actually has any semblance of defense. Archers are the LEAST of anyone's worries in this game.

I don't think that archery needs drastic buffs, but it needs something I would start by taking huntsman out of the game or reworking it. At this point in time you need to play out of your mind to pubstomp with archery which tells me that something is wrong. Would anyone make the argument that you need to play like GIRU with a melee weapon to pubstomp idiots in a FL? They need to make it feasible for the AVERAGE player to do DECENTLY well vs opponents of their skill level.

111 53
  • 11 Jun
 yvesgomes

@Deadmode said:
I don't care whether archers top the boards or not, or if their scoring is modified to allow it. I just don't want to be flinched or killed every 2s by an arrow in a melee game. However archery is balanced or improved, as long as this doesn't happen, im cool with it.

Projectiles don't flinch, right?

383 577
  • 11 Jun
 smug

@Deadmode said:

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:

@Peacerer said:
L2WASD

Either that or just parry them. Most of the time its even enough to run at the archer in a unpredictable way. The reload and string pulling time for longbows is so long that the archer has often only time to get two shots out before you reach him and hit the bow out of his hand.

I wasn’t even talking about running at a single archer.

I was talking about when engaged in melee with my attention on that, I wouldn’t want to be flinched all the time or killed by arrows.

Archery should not ruin the melee experience. That balance needs to be maintained.

Outside of that; sure, five archers points multipliers for headshots etc and allow them to climb the scoreboard etc.

If at this point in time you still haven't realized arrows don't flinch melee attacks you have other problems.

Knight 693 1581
  • 11 Jun
 das

Longbow feels extremely competitive and viable now. Anstii was consistently topfragging with it in PUG, which was basically never seen in the previous patch. The other two feel underwhelming in comparison. Crossbow is very good at counterarchery and that's about it, but in a sense that may be sufficient enough. Recurve Bow is when you half-ass both melee and archery and aren't particularly competitive at either. Recurve Bow might be better if future map objectives and splitpushing strategies encourage it more.

383 577
  • 11 Jun
 smug

LB being used in comp introduces a level of stupidity that doesn't really affect pubs.

Longbow 1v1s when you have huntsman equipped is a really really low skill ceiling interaction because of one hit kill potential. If LB is indeed a comp mainstay somehow you would have to address huntsman because it reduces the skill ceiling just for the sake of competitive integrity.

I don't really care about comp in Mordhau, but I'd imagine the threat of huntsman would make Crossbow switches more common. In theory if a player is dominating with LB he won't be on that loadout for long. Now you have two crossbow huntsman players locked in a duel....for what purpose? I guess you could also just avoid the fight and just pick at the melee line, and if the CB huntsman player can't hit his shots his team loses.

Getting a feel for whats viable from PUGs is kinda iffy. In many games I can topfrag in a pug by doing extremely unoptimal stuff just because I just outskill the lobby, so I'd really wait for FL tournament vods, or teams scrimming with it which I still wouldn't trust because you don't play scrims with the intent of winning.

777 1029

The fact that there is so much verticality in this game is a big indirect buff to archers. If you are sitting here complaining that you have a hard time with horses as an archer, you either don't play archer, or just don't know how to play archer in this game.

383 577
  • 11 Jun
 smug

@smellycathawk said:
The fact that there is so much verticality in this game is a big indirect buff to archers. If you are sitting here complaining that you have a hard time with horses as an archer, you either don't play archer, or just don't know how to play archer in this game.

Yes it's easy to avoid getting killed with horses in this game, but there are times where you don't want to be in that position if you want to actually contribute a lot of dps to a teamfight, remember that an archer also has to fulfill a melee role on the team. If most of your time is spent somewhere in a retard battlement in FL you aren't maximizing your role on the team, and in SKIRM that isn't even a viable tactic, it won't be in small pop FL either.

My point of bringing up horses was to make the argument that there are far worse things in the game than getting 2 hit headshotted/3-4 hit bodyshots from a LB.

114 63

I think archery is fine, it's like a support role where you don't kill much but end up with loads of assists.

With a skilled enough user it's pretty brutal and has a good skill ceiling.

What I hate about archery is going from Longbow to recurve. They are so extremely different with their aiming, it's like learning from the beginning all over again.

529 278

You should never be top fragger as an archer just like you should never be top fragger as a builder, you are a support role............. except ironically I think I've seen builders as top score because of cheesy ballista =/

Duke 544 898
  • 12 Jun
 Goatie

I was OK with archer pre patch and they have enough power to turn the tide with good aim, especially more then 1 working together. What I'm not OK with is adding all these other stupid projectiles that one shot anyway and having the other mechanics like horses achieve the exact same thing they were trying to avoid with archers. It's like fucking pick a direction.