Mordhau

Listen to your community.

104 138
  • 12 Jun
 Toastimus

I agree that the game needs more personality.
Team names,give us a story of these 2 teams,stuff like that..
Chivalry 2 is going to flip like nothing,i know it,and if not,it sure as hell will rattle up the mordhau dev team to bring improvements etc.
Listen to your community.

83 91
  • 12 Jun
 DylanS_98

Apart from the hilarious decapitation skip in frames. I was glad to see the trailer. Combat looks weird, but things can change from now to then.

Also, if it turns out okay it just makes for healthy competition.

Plus others will buy it, play it, stream it, and review it. So none of us have to spend a penny on it, whether you had planned to or not, to see if it actually does flop.

Worst case scenario is you dont waste your money and you keep playing Mordhau.

73 68
  • 12 Jun
 Dialectic

@smellycathawk said:

@Dialectic said:
Objectively that trailer was bad. It was CGI, and poorly done CGI. The combat was likely not live gameplay but a rendering, and the hitboxes were laughably bad.

Why do you still fall for teaser trailers? Lol

Ya they made a cgi movie and included bad hit detection in it. lol do you understand words

I can use the term hitbox generally to describe the fact that those idiots making their DEBUT SEQUEL TRAILER couldn't even sync the hands, sword, and decap animation.

But muh atmosphere

576 717

@Dialectic said:

@smellycathawk said:

@Dialectic said:
Objectively that trailer was bad. It was CGI, and poorly done CGI. The combat was likely not live gameplay but a rendering, and the hitboxes were laughably bad.

Why do you still fall for teaser trailers? Lol

Ya they made a cgi movie and included bad hit detection in it. lol do you understand words

I can use the term hitbox generally to describe the fact that those idiots making their DEBUT SEQUEL TRAILER couldn't even sync the hands, sword, and decap animation.

But muh atmosphere

Should be obvious by what you just typed that it isn't a fake cgi trailer

1060 6023
  • 12 Jun
 crushed — Art

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:
However, the quality of the gameplay doesn't matter

choofed

576 717

@crushed said:

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:

choofed

Ohh hey an actual dev has chimed in with a classic "meme". Why don't you tell us why crossroads was released instead of just adding in some proper gameplay options for custom games or something useful like that?

73 68
  • 12 Jun
 Dialectic

@smellycathawk said:

@crushed said:

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:

choofed

Ohh hey an actual dev has chimed in with a classic "meme". Why don't you tell us why crossroads was released instead of just adding in some proper gameplay options for custom games or something useful like that?

One month after release I want all the things reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Duke 439 683
  • 12 Jun
 Goatie

Tim isn't wrong crush lol, take it as a criticism instead of being annoying with meme reply and cutting out a section of his quote where it makes less sense. The core mechanics are amazing but other then that Mordhau is currently Bordhau. You may be working on all this already but giving a le funny reply to legit criticism and concern does not inspire hope at all.

Mercenary 2146 3826

Yea so I kinda agree and don't agree with Tim.

What we are missing in the game mainly imho:

• WHO are fighting ?
  • WHY they are fighting ?

They are fighting but what for ?
Is it for a King who just wants gold coinz or for a rebellious noble of said king to set the kingdom on the right track ?
Is it a simple invasion on a kingdom ?
Simply the answer is, we just don't know. Because there isn't a lore atm. Sure we have team names of Iron Company and Whatever the name of blue is, can't even remember it, and that they are mercenary companies.
But why are the sides in this war use mercenary companies instead of a proper organized army ?

I think we need a good lore behind the fighting scenes before the map designs or whatnot. They are content for now but their background is empty. Cause imho, nothing gives a game or any fiction product better personality than a solid, interesting lore.

Maps should have their own purposes in the lore too, why is it that we free peasants in Grad but not free any prisoners in Camp ? Could be a choice to have variations in map objectives to not be repetitive surely but then we need some reason to believe so. Maybe the owners of the camp executed the prisoners while sieging the main fortress or maybe they just don't take prisoners to begin with.

We have nothing to build the Mordhau world upon. So..

lore
lore

lore

lore

lore

lore

On the other hand, I have problems with the objectives given on maps rather than the map design itself. I don't see the hate Crossroads is getting either. Sure we have a open field and a small castle like ruins with treehouse, still not making use of the open field cause the objective is ONLY a King of The Hill type inside the ruins. Again we are in need of a lore on the map to see why its a Crossroad and why we need to capture a ruin ?

Is it on a main trade route ? Then why is it a ruin ?
If it is a ruin why do companies want to capture it ?
Why do we have 2 stables in middle of nowhere ? Its a crossroad, why don't we see any main roads leading to some interesting faraway scenery like a city in distance or a trade port ?

Sure there are minor map design flaws that don't make sense but nothing that can't be fixed we ease.

-#MakeLorehauGreatAgain

Duke 439 683
  • 12 Jun
 Goatie

Tbh Crossroads is fun if you run around with a toolbox and billhook but that's it.

Knight 312 722
  • 12 Jun
 AngelEyes

It’s true we need team objective and lore.

The bit about gameplay not being enough is half true.

People have played summoners rift and de_dust2 over 500k billion times over the years though.

Because the games have good gameplay, but more importantly have strategic depth that seemingly has infinite replay value.

3v3’s of last man standing is only interesting for the parties involved and the strategic depth crutches on the games gameplay too much. The only objective is kill the other guy.

It’s kinda why when esport word gets thrown around for Mordhau it’s so funny it’s really just cute

Knight 886 2430
  • 12 Jun
 Pred

This much of Chivalry lore was enough tbh:

There is a kingdom
One side is loyal to the king of that kingdom
The other party wants to topple the old system. Malric is in this one.

It was Team Objective which gave fighting in Chiv a structure. You were fighting to accomplish things, they were kinda-sorta sometimes related to lore, but nobody really cared, because accomplishing these things was fun in itself. You needed to do a thing and to do it you had to beat motherfuckers up along the way. If you weren't beating motherfuckers up hard enough, you lost. Simple. Fun.

You can't even call Frontline a TDM because racking up kills means absolutely nothing if you don't control more points. The mode is just waiting for one of two countdowns to run down and you are free to run around and kill some enemies in huge clusterfucks in the meantime.

13 12

I think Mordhau tried to approach game modes from a more competitive perspective, and when you see it that way Frontline makes perfect sense. In Team Objective you would need at least two rounds so that both teams can attack/defend and then determine which one got further and won. Frontline - provided that the map is well balanced for both sides - can determine the winner within just one round.

In the end though, Team Objective was more fun and I hope they focus more on the Push game mode instead of Frontline in the future. I wouldn't say the current maps are uninspired or boring, they just should have waited to release the game when they had more maps and also the workshop tools, because right now it's gonna take a few months before they can finish new maps and people are already getting bored.

13 12

@smellycathawk said:

I don't speak for the devs but I'm pretty sure Crossroads was just a prototype map to try a new game mode (King of the Hill) and it was basically ready to play a long time ago. They needed new content and decided to release it, even though it's not a full, well-worked map. It's fun nonetheless so I'm glad they did.

576 717

@AngelEyes said:

3v3’s of last man standing is only interesting for the parties involved and the strategic depth crutches on the games gameplay too much. The only objective is kill the other guy.

It’s kinda why when esport word gets thrown around for Mordhau it’s so funny it’s really just cute

It's still interesting for people who play the game to watch. Even For Honor has a decent comp scene and watching pros play that is just totally autistic if you don't play it.

Count 158 234

Guys

No need to use rude words or belittle the work the devs did, won't do any good to the discussion.

However, that said, I agree with the OP. The Frontlines are for me the same thing that are PvP maps in Guild Wars 2 : capture mode. It's ok once in a while but when there's only that, it gets boring.

We do indeed Team Objective with VARIOUS type of objectives :

• Burning a farm, library, key parts of a cathedral/castle
  • Killing NPCs that the other team has to protect
  • Destroying a door
  • Protecting a princess/priest whatever

etc. It doesn't have to feel extra complex but the objectives have to evolve smoothly and with logic regarding the map layout.

We also need just a bit of lore/background regarding both mercenary groups, to have a feeling that you are playing for this faction. A simple thing could be an announcer when the team has accomplished an objective or something just like in Chivalry's TO : "the peasants and village are destroyed my lord !" "Destroy the gates ! Kill the king !"

Saying Mordhau's map are trash or uninspired is not true, devs have simply to make use of all the space and make maps with Objectives in mind.

43 94
43 94

@EruTheTeapot said:
I think we need a good lore behind the fighting scenes before the map designs or whatnot. They are content for now but their background is empty. Cause imho, nothing gives a game or any fiction product better personality than a solid, interesting lore.

Part of the problem that the two factions in Chiv had distinct visual themes which supported their backstories, whereas in Mordhau you can't really do that and have the extent of armour customisation available.