Mordhau

Listen to your community.

Knight 1382 3152

I'll make it simple.

Torn Banner didn't listen to their community asking for Chivalry 2, so they made Mirage. Now it's too late.

Triternion focused so hard on making the combat gameplay better than Chivalry, that they forgot to make maps or gamemodes we actually care about.

no.

Altering Frontline and using the same maps won't work.

Making Frontline go one way and calling it Push while STILL using the same maps, won't work.

These maps are uninspired, sterile, and boring.

These modes, uninteresting, and poorly thought out.

We know, game development is hard, and requires money, time, and effort.

Yes, your gameplay is good.

But the design of the maps, rushed.
The overall quality theme and design of the art, inconsistent
The atmosphere of the game, nonexistant.
The excitement of playing a gamemode you love for years to come, nowhere.

Team Objective IS Chivalry.
The fight between The Agathians and The Masons IS Chivalry.

What the fuck is Mordhau, because it sure as fuck isn't Frontline.
Nor is it these 2 groups of people we have no context of nor care for.

No, I do not believe that Chivalry 2 will have gameplay as good as Mordhau's, nor do I believe that it will ever see the lifespan the first did.

But look at that atmosphere in the 60 seconds we saw of it.
Yeah, shit animations, and probably combat that's just as bad.
But those 60 seconds looked far more visually exciting and interesting than my 600 hours of mordhau gameplay.

You could say that's because it's a cinematic trailer.
However the first Chivalry would argue otherwise.

1291 3791

as sweaty and crazed as tim seems I agree with him a bit the game right now in terms of personality feels a smig cartoony it doesn't need to be ultra grim dark but some context would be nice

385 578
  • 11 Jun
 smug

Chivalry: MW wasn't cartoony?

Come on dude

Mordhau does have personality but the maps just suck major league dickl

717 588

this game isn't for LARPers

Baron 17 45
  • 11 Jun
 ScaryGuy

It was clear to me early that Triternion needs more help. They've built an amazing combat system, but Frontline was a swing and a miss. We need Team Objective, modding tools, interesting lore, and of course maps. The sales success hopefully will ensure this happens. Between Triternion and the modding community, we can make this game awesome.

777 1029

I was hoping they would release map/gametype customization and the atmosphere/game modes would develop themselves as the community does...

Instead the community devolves into playing mostly "duels" as they cry for balance and censorship against each other, while Tri stayed silent for 2 months before farting out a map they let one of their kids make as they tink their wine glasses on the coast.

717 588

@ScaryGuy said:
It was clear to me early that Triternion needs more help. They've built an amazing combat system, but Frontline was a swing and a miss. We need Team Objective, modding tools, interesting lore, and of course maps. The sales success hopefully will ensure this happens. Between Triternion and the modding community, we can make this game awesome.

thats assuming they dump any money into development (beyond paying currently existing devs)

138 218
  • 11 Jun
 DylanS_98

Have to agree. The atmosphere of the trailer looked waaaaay better. But Mordhau's combat is just so fucking good.

I'll still play Chivalry 2 when it comes out. Just have to wait and see then.

100 52
  • 11 Jun
 Minion

they just need to release mods tools and let the community sort itself out

7 22

Can relate. 170 hours in and only noticed Red and Blue had team names the other day.

214 178
  • 11 Jun
 Dialectic

That chiv 2 trailer looked fucking awful. Tri can rename the mercs to 2 groups of knights in like 5 seconds if need be, and I guarantee they are working on modes and maps.

Its an indie team. Nothing moves at light speed with indie teams. For fuck sake not even AAA games get large updates in 2 months lol

777 1029

@Dialectic said:
That chiv 2 trailer looked fucking awful. Tri can rename the mercs to 2 groups of knights in like 5 seconds if need be, and I guarantee they are working on modes and maps.

Its an indie team. Nothing moves at light speed with indie teams. For fuck sake not even AAA games get large updates in 2 months lol

I didn't think it looked awful at all

Knight 1382 3152

@Dialectic said:

That chiv 2 trailer looked more visually interesting than the entirety of mordhau's development and current life cycle. If they were to simply rename the 2 teams to some form of knights, it wouldn't solve anything. The problem isn't that the teams aren't knights, the problem is that the teams are just that. Teams. Within each team there's virtually no cohesion, and between the 2 teams there's no uniqueness. And no, one team being red and the other being blue does not make them unique or cohesive.

Those maps they're working on. If they follow the current trend of maps in mordhau, they won't improve anything.
And the modes they're probably working on, current rumors put them at just modified versions of frontline.
So modified versions of a mode we don't like, on maps that don't interest us.

Apparently this was not conveyed strongly enough in the main post.

At this point, most people understand just how long it takes developers to make and update games. They may not have any context as to how hard or complex it is, but compared to years ago, people nowadays are much more understanding of the plight that game developers suffer.

This post was not a "UPDATE YOUR GAME REEEE GIB GUD CONTENT" thread. No.

This post was a clarification and condensification of the current issues of the overall experience that mordhau is supposed to be. And of the experience a large, large number of people, wanted it to be.

The gameplay of the game is good. We all agree on that. However, the quality of the gameplay doesn't matter when the overall experience is an uninteresting, uninspiring, and boring one.

214 178
  • 12 Jun
 Dialectic

Objectively that trailer was bad. It was CGI, and poorly done CGI. The combat was likely not live gameplay but a rendering, and the hitboxes were laughably bad.

Why do you still fall for teaser trailers? Lol

30 46
  • 12 Jun
 Treusturm

@Dialectic said:
Objectively that trailer was bad. It was CGI, and poorly done CGI. The combat was likely not live gameplay but a rendering, and the hitboxes were laughably bad.

You make no sense at all, if it is CGI then how do you know the hitboxes are broken lol.

The gameplay is pretty fun but I agree that they have to do something about map and objective design. I have never seen such terrible map design in a popular multiplayer game. Some people may enjoy playing only duels and scrims but that alone will not keep the game alive. If Frontline won't be improved or replaced with something better, I feel like the game will be deserted when all the hype ends.

214 178
  • 12 Jun
 Dialectic

How does that not make sense? It's not actual gameplay. They couldn't get the hitboxes to line up. Both of these statements can be true at the same time. You could also say they were so incompetent with their cgi that they couldn't make it look lined up or whatever, excluding the term hitbox. But it's easier to describe it as a hitbox.

Lots of people, including myself, are having a blast playing frontline even if it's really flawed. The gameplay is that good. And since the foundation is so good it can only get better with modes and maps.

Chiv 1 was a shit show, proven by the fact that people left it to create this awesomeness since tb wasnt doing shit. Chiv 2 trailer looks like a high school kid put it together for a class project

30 46
  • 12 Jun
 Treusturm

Chiv 1 was a shit show, proven by the fact that people left it to create this awesomeness since tb wasnt doing shit. Chiv 2 trailer looks like a high school kid put it together for a class project

I guess you did not play crossroads yet, because that is the real definition of a high school kid project. I can even count the new assets for that with my fingers.

214 178
  • 12 Jun
 Dialectic

Crossroads is garbo. It's also one map, and not a teaser trailer for a whole video game. It's like you're grasping at straws here.

Tri succeded in an amazing way in combat system, customisation, and graphics, and did so with a small team. The maps (besides crossroads) aren't bad at all, and frontline IS fun on its own, despite flaws. It will work just fine until they either re work it or release attack/defend mode.

Imo you're being overly dramatic about this. The game atmosphere is awesome. The smooth combat, semi realistic art, plethora of customization, plus the awesome voices and general silliness build a great character of serious skill based gameplay that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a great balance.

Maybe frontline can be mercs, then they can add knight factions for attack/defend. But generally I disagree that there's no or bad atmosphere

30 46
  • 12 Jun
 Treusturm

Crossroads is one of the only 5 frontline maps in offical map rotation and its very existence is imo either from incompetence or an insult. I don't understand how so many people are okay with it.

You act like Torn Banner is/was a AAA studio. I played it since the original mod days and its developers were very passionate for their mod which was a non-profit work. They only started to fall after they were overcome by their own success.

I really like Mordhau and they nailed so many things right and I too enjoy it with its flaws. However I just see the same signs that happened to Chivalry here and hope they go a different path.

777 1029

@Dialectic said:

Ya they made a cgi movie and included bad hit detection in it. lol do you understand words