Mordhau

Chivalry 2 was just announced on E3

182 199
  • 11 Jun
 Roag

Not to be a TB shill but the animation jankiness in the trailer has been explained to be an issue with 3rd p/ 1p animation capture and will be ironed out prior to release (confirmed by a dev), though why that wasn't addressed for the trailer who knows.

I'm sceptical of the combat but purely basing that opinion on the trailer is a bit hasty, anyone who played slasher knows Mordhau's combat came a long, long way to make it what it is today. TB NEED this game to work or they will die, you can bet that this time around they have a vested interest in making this work, lets just hope they're not too scared to make the melee competitively viable.

394 589
  • 11 Jun
 smug

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:
Reminder

Chivalry 1's combat was a trash heap.
And we all talk about how shit it was

yet we all played it.

for years
and years
and years

It had a killer gamemode, and incredible atmosphere and drive.

Comparatively, mordhau has a joke of a gamemode, an extremely lackluster and boring atmosphere with no care put into it, and literally no drive to the game at all.

grounded map settings are boring, combined with the fact that you're literally just 2 groups of people fighting for probably no reason, and the fact that these 2 groups are unique in literally no way

on top of the fact that frontline is fucking trash

I don't care how good your gameplay is, if your game is fucking boring.

Chivalry wasn't boring.
Mordhau currently is.

Yes, the combat and animations in the chiv 2 trailer look like a fucking joke.

But everything else?
Everything else looked great.

Chiv MW did not have any proper competitor. So of course many stayed for years. Then games like for honor and others came out, chiv was abandonned for Mirage which name is fitting for its release, then it started shifting to what is now 200 players on Chiv.

The only thing that is currently really needed on Mordhau is at least 3 to 4 maps with progressing and objectives with variety.
I agree that a Guild Wars 2 PvP maps style (capture points) is lame, overused and boring.

The fact TBS had the stupidity to put an ad on Steam showing their shitty trailer and submitting to Tripwire+1year Epic Shitstore Exclusivity should raise a big redflag for you : again TBS is not after making a good game and profit from it, they’re just after the money. I’d rather support developpers and a studio that is passionated about their work.

Chiv did have a competitor it was called M&B Warband and throughout it's lifespan has had on average more concurrent players. Hell it's most likely in 1-2 years M&B will STILL have more concurrent players than even Mordhau, that is until Bannerlord comes out.

Knight 26 36
  • 11 Jun
 Mef

Page 3 and nobody has mentioned Deadliest Warrior yet. It's like you all want to forget their magnum opus.

777 1029

@smug said:

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:
Reminder

yet we all played it.

for years
and years
and years

Comparatively, mordhau has a joke of a gamemode, an extremely lackluster and boring atmosphere with no care put into it, and literally no drive to the game at all.

grounded map settings are boring, combined with the fact that you're literally just 2 groups of people fighting for probably no reason, and the fact that these 2 groups are unique in literally no way

Chivalry wasn't boring.
Mordhau currently is.

But everything else?

Chiv MW did not have any proper competitor. So of course many stayed for years. Then games like for honor and others came out, chiv was abandonned for Mirage which name is fitting for its release, then it started shifting to what is now 200 players on Chiv.

The only thing that is currently really needed on Mordhau is at least 3 to 4 maps with progressing and objectives with variety.
I agree that a Guild Wars 2 PvP maps style (capture points) is lame, overused and boring.

The fact TBS had the stupidity to put an ad on Steam showing their shitty trailer and submitting to Tripwire+1year Epic Shitstore Exclusivity should raise a big redflag for you : again TBS is not after making a good game and profit from it, they’re just after the money. I’d rather support developpers and a studio that is passionated about their work.

Chiv did have a competitor it was called M&B Warband and throughout it's lifespan has had on average more concurrent players. Hell it's most likely in 1-2 years M&B will STILL have more concurrent players than even Mordhau, that is until Bannerlord comes out.

Ya it also had another competitor in War of The Roses, which Chivalry beat into the ground, despite it having more customization options, cavalry, larger and more open maps, free to play. It still died years ago but you can still find a Chiv server in US East to this day lol

Count 171 246

Amazin' I love this community

lel.jpg

Makes me proud dude

Conscript 150 273
  • 11 Jun
 Kaiowa

Hmm... so this next Chivalry's success depends on a community that already hates them for being bad devs who abandoned their first game and just milked it with cosmetics, they decided to announce it now that their entire playerbase has moved to a better game and are still enjoying it a lot, and it's going to be exclusive for a whole year to a store that a lot of gamers prefer to boycott. What could go wrong?

If Chivalry 2 came out a few years ahead when Mordhau would already be old, and it really brought something new to the table, then I'd be inclined to purchase it. But as it is, there's nothing in that trailer that made me hyped about it. It will probably turn out into a Mirage 2.

Knight 138 303
Duke 545 903
Count 171 246

Dafuq so it’s Chivalry 2 : Anime Warfare? Seems they’re trying to get another type of crowd

Knight 5096 6837

Lmao now that's an unanimous comment section if i ever seen one.
Honestly, they deserve all the trashing for the reasons Kaiowa wonderfully stated above, i can see Tim's side of the argument but since Triternion actually gives a shit about its own product, it's just a matter of time. Either Triternion will be willing to make the changes the comunity is asking or the modding comunity will shape the game to the comunity's desire.
If chivalry maps is what you want, you can be damn sure that people will recreate them for Mordhau and i will be thrilled to play them.

2374 4815
  • 12 Jun
 Maci

Honestly I payed like 20€ or something for Chivalry and got hundreds of hours of fun out of it. I bought Mirage Deluxe Edition solely because of that and I'd do the same here, but I just don't want another fucking DRM launcher which may or may not even exist anymore in 5 years. And then there's also the scummy business practice that is exclusives and the fact that Tencent is a shady suit of a company. This is going to cost them dearly in my opinion. Steam launch will be a year after EGS launch, and chances aren't bad the game will already be dead by then. I mean, what kind of audience are they trying to cater to here? Fortnite players?

367 340
  • 12 Jun
 Peacerer

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:
Reminder

yet we all played it.

for years
and years
and years

Chivalry wasn't boring.
Mordhau currently is.

But everything else?

Well said.

I don't care how good your gameplay is, if your game is fucking boring - summarizes it best and can reflect to the whole gaming industry.

34 63

chiv 2 is not looking good, based solely on the fact its an epic games exclusive. if i can't play a PC game on steam i just end up not playing it at all.

95 81
  • 13 Jun
 HalldeiMaul

Look man, I got to poison wells and kill a royal family in Chivalry, despite broken bubbles, windup cheese and ballerinas.
That's why I got quadruple digit hours in it.
You bring that kind of thing times two to Chivalry 2 and you're set for sales man, shitty meme combat or not.

Count 171 246

@HalldeiMaul said:
Look man, I got to poison wells and kill a royal family in Chivalry, despite broken bubbles, windup cheese and ballerinas.
You bring that kind of thing times two to Chivalry 2 and you're set for sales man, shitty meme combat or not.

From the trailer showcasing the crappy combat and animations and based on their decision to go with Epic, it's clear that they are targeting another audience. Fortnite players will suit the game fine I suppose. As long as they are far I'm good.

777 1029

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@HalldeiMaul said:

From the trailer showcasing the crappy combat and animations and based on their decision to go with Epic, it's clear that they are targeting another audience. Fortnite players will suit the game fine I suppose. As long as they are far I'm good.

Judging whether to buy a game based on the first trailer is just bad decision making no matter how you slice it.

Not to mention people are framing this as a decision to go with Epic. Meanwhile I have done zero research and I'm pretty confident that the only real decision Chivalry 2 had was go Epic, or don't exist.

Duke 545 903
  • 16 Jun
 Goatie

They said they decided on Epic games a year ago which looks silly now because of the controversy but I assume they needed the upfront money to make it a proper sequel and not an early access game after Mirage lost them a lot of money. If you slow the clips down in the trailer and that one with the dropkick the combat animations don't look too bad just more weighty which is what you expect from chiv. It's some of the running and holding weapons above head animations that are clearly work in progress. They said it was more of a concept trailer then a show of the combat.

I hated Torn Banner for what they did as much as any other chiv vet but this hoping for games to die is just plain stupid especially if they capture what made the first game great without reverse overheads.

13 4
  • 17 Jun
 Caliko

Too many sparks on the sword clashes.