Mordhau

Chivalry 2 was just announced on E3

Knight 1382 3152

@ToLazy4Name said:
epic game store LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL dead on arrival

Yeah we all hate EGS, no shit.

Had mordhau not used steamworks, it'd probably be on EGS too and we'd all hate it just as much.

Count 171 246

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:
Reminder

Chivalry 1's combat was a trash heap.
And we all talk about how shit it was

yet we all played it.

for years
and years
and years

It had a killer gamemode, and incredible atmosphere and drive.

Comparatively, mordhau has a joke of a gamemode, an extremely lackluster and boring atmosphere with no care put into it, and literally no drive to the game at all.

grounded map settings are boring, combined with the fact that you're literally just 2 groups of people fighting for probably no reason, and the fact that these 2 groups are unique in literally no way

on top of the fact that frontline is fucking trash

I don't care how good your gameplay is, if your game is fucking boring.

Chivalry wasn't boring.
Mordhau currently is.

Yes, the combat and animations in the chiv 2 trailer look like a fucking joke.

But everything else?
Everything else looked great.

Chiv MW did not have any proper competitor. So of course many stayed for years. Then games like for honor and others came out, chiv was abandonned for Mirage which name is fitting for its release, then it started shifting to what is now 200 players on Chiv.

The only thing that is currently really needed on Mordhau is at least 3 to 4 maps with progressing and objectives with variety.
I agree that a Guild Wars 2 PvP maps style (capture points) is lame, overused and boring.

The fact TBS had the stupidity to put an ad on Steam showing their shitty trailer and submitting to Tripwire+1year Epic Shitstore Exclusivity should raise a big redflag for you : again TBS is not after making a good game and profit from it, they’re just after the money. I’d rather support developpers and a studio that is passionated about their work.

Knight 1382 3152

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:
Chiv MW did not have any proper competitor. So of course many stayed for years. Then games like for honor and others came out, chiv was abandonned for Mirage which its name is fitting for its release, then it started shifting to what is now 200 players on Chiv.

No one in the melee games community cared about for honor, very few, if any, left for it, because it's not an actual melee game.

Literally NO ONE wanted mirage, and TB had abandoned chiv long before mirage.

The only reason the chiv player count went down is because Mordhau became a thing.We were all so excited about chivalry but with not shit combat, and now that we're all so invested in liking this game, we can't go back. It's not chivalry but with better combat. It's better combat wrapped up in an extremely boring game.

Think of it this way.

We would not have played chivalry for nearly as long had it had the mordhau maps and atmosphere. It would have been a complete fucking joke that probably would have killed the genre for a while.

Now imagine Mordhau if it had the chivalry atmosphere and maps.

Duke 544 898
  • 10 Jun
 Goatie

Mordhau needs it's own art style. Everything just looks fucking weird with realistic assets plopped everywhere and random customisations.

Count 57 64

That's a load of shit, if Chivalry survived solely based off it's "atmosphere" 90% of active servers wouldn't of been exclusively duel servers on a boring as fuck flat custom map.

Knight 1382 3152

@Knight of Rosen said:
That's a load of shit, if Chivalry survived solely based off it's "atmosphere" 90% of active servers wouldn't of been exclusively duel servers on a boring as fuck flat custom map.

90% of active servers were Team Objective servers, I don't know what fucking substance you smoked, but you're obviously high as shit.

Duke 544 898
  • 10 Jun
 Goatie

Hey duel yard was a peaceful chill zone, don't you dare call it boring.

Count 57 64

Maybe for like the first 2 years yes, but after that getting into Team Objective was a rare occurrence. Hell main reason I was excited for Mordhau, cause I missed Team Objective.

Knight 1382 3152

@Knight of Rosen said:
Maybe for like the first 2 years yes, but after that getting into Team Objective was a rare occurrence. Hell main reason I was excited for Mordhau, cause I missed Team Objective.

I don't know why you had a problem finding populated TO servers, considering they were always full on my end up until 2017.

Also lol rip your dreams of mordhau having team objective.

The best we'll probably get is a further altered frontline mode, and a frontline mode that only goes one way, on the same boring fucking maps.

385 578
  • 10 Jun
 smug

Mordhau has better animations but the margin is extremely small. We're also judging off a small sample size of footage (the dropkick looks cool tbh, and the visuals look great imo)

Objectively the animations in Chiv 2 aren't that bad. Barring a few retarded things like the hitspark effect on parries, and that accel animation looking a bit janky even though it communicates information a lot clearly if it is an accel animation.

Bottom line though the animations don't matter when high level play will most likely break them anyway. We're really going to sit here and hypocritically criticize small amounts of Chiv 2 footage when we have retarded animations like the battle axe body feints, and eveningstar drags that look like they're just floating there?

I like that the releases are faster from the gameplay footage, and it might make parrying a lot more challenging if the parry window is tight and position of your crosshair matters. Even if swing manip somehow gone there are other ways to let people get behind the parry.

385 578
  • 11 Jun
 smug

You can cherrypick for Mordhau too

VillainousAdvancedDavidstiger-size_restricted.gif

TB are bad people but what a lot of ppl are doing is cancer

Count 171 246

@ToLazy4Name said:
hello https://i.imgur.com/svAYpUE.gifv

LOL

Judging by the trailer, they are going more for the arcade/casual style in order to get the interest of a broader audience. But yea not impressed by the animations, armor or weapon designs. Gonna be a fail imo especially with Tripwire and Epic behind it.

67 40
  • 11 Jun
 Kuro1n

@smug said:

Cherry pick vs a nicely edited trailer, hmmmm...
Really though how does that go through and get into a trailer? Embarrassing.

With that said I will check it out once it launches but so far mordhau has been the better experience for me compared to chiv and the devs here seem to care more as well. Easy choice so far.

Knight 7590 13879
  • 11 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

@smug said:

Except what is happening right there isn't the same as what's happening in my gif. In my gif, the hitboxes are actually disjointed and do not match the models. In your gif, someone is doing a really obnoxious drag.

Count 57 64

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:

@Knight of Rosen said:

I don't know why you had a problem finding populated TO servers, considering they were always full on my end up until 2017.

Also lol rip your dreams of mordhau having team objective.

The best we'll probably get is a further altered frontline mode, and a frontline mode that only goes one way, on the same boring fucking maps.

Might have something to do with my region, since i'm in Australia. I did see a few TO American servers when I played chiv, but if I tried joining them i'd get kicked the moment i'd kill someone lmao. And i've heard they are planning to add siege mode, I really do hope that turn out to be true, as while I enjoy frontline, Mordhau really does need a better gamemode.

777 1029

It's not like mordhau came along and just did everything better than Chiv. There's a lot of grey areas, some things Chiv did objectively better.

Chivalry didn't fail to reach its true potential because of Chiv, it was turbulence among the developers in a tale of greed and betrayal. Given that these events occurred 8 years ago from Chivalry 2's eta I wouldn't be so quick to judge them by the mistakes made back then. It's awesome to have two separate dev teams dedicated to making games for this fledgling genre and it is important that they both succeed if it's going to continue to grow.

I hope this starts a fucking war of the ages like battlefield vs cod, or Dota vs LoL, or Sonic vs Mario, or Forza vs Grand Turismo, or Bungie vs Microsoft, or Microsoft vs gamers, or integrity vs EA.

1 1
  • 11 Jun
 Largid

I'm not saying anything, but...

From Chivalry 2 website FAQ:

How long have you been working on Chivalry 2?

Development began in spring 2017.

Mordhau kickstarter campaign opening:

March 8, 2017
Project launched

Also animations in trailer are terrible imo.