Mordhau

Points of Shield users?

6 0

I'm enjoying playing with a shield, and I block tons of shots and distract the other team and protect my teammates, but I don't get a lot of kills. It seems like I'm affecting the battles and fights, and if they ignore me I'll hit them with my sword, but I'm curious if this kind of playstyle is going to limit how many points I get for upgrades and whatnot compared to being a more DPS role instead of a Tank? I do okay on the scores sometimes, although it seems to be when I capture points, and sometimes there aren't a lot of points to capture.

I love not wearing armor too, and just blocking with the shield, and often I'll step in front of a teammate, block a hit, and then my teammate skewers them and I start gaining momentum with a group of people, and with teammates around I can easily hold off 2 or 3 people all of whom are focused on me while my team kills them.

Knight 526 1847

The gold and experience you receive at the end of a match mostly depend on the duration of the match. Points or K:D ratio are a very miniscule factor. Do not worry about them and play the game in the manner you like.

Mercenary 2542 4553
  • 8 Jun
 SIEGE

@LuxCandidus said:
The gold and experience you receive at the end of a match mostly depend on the duration of the match. Points or K:D ratio are a very miniscule factor. Do not worry about them and play the game in the manner you like.

moderator!!!!!

6 0

Is your team winning a large factor?

Knight 7428 13533

Not killing things is definitely worse than killing things. You sitting around blocking is helpful, yes, but if you actually killed people you'd be helping alot more.

6 0

I'm not sitting around, I'm a very active blocker. In this last round I was holding the middle of the new map in the elevated area, and I could block a route in while my teammates stabbed from above, and I could corner people since they can't run through me and prevent them from manuevering while my team mauled them. I got some hits in too, mostly if people tried ignoring me since I was mostly blocking, and them swinging at me made great openings for my team.

Some things I'm working on is not blocking my team's movement, since you need to maneuver to land and avoid hits, and choosing where to stand and block, when to push forward, and even when to go kill someone, although I have an arming sword so I do very little damage, although I'm back in heavy armor so I'm hard to kill.

Lol I was even forcing people to fall off the wooden area in the middle of the new map, since I'd keep advancing while they were parrying my team, and then while stepping back they'd fall off, or if not they'd have to stand still and get mauled.

Teamwork and shields seems really effective, and I'm getting okay at countering attacks too, so I do some damage at times, especially if they're not looking at me. I'm getting a rapier too, just made it to level 4, and I like fast attacks so I can get back to blocking in a hurry.

My scores are decent too, I'm finishing about average/ in the middle in points.

Knight 7428 13533

Yes, that's what I meant by "sitting around and blocking."

77 84
  • 9 Jun
 Xanith

shields literally exist to make good players mad by denying them 1vxs

110 70

use a messer with your shield.
that way, when you DO get a hit in, it hits very hard, and might get you a kill here and there.
obviously, using the rapier or the arming sword won't be quite as effective per swing, because they are built for speed, not damage, whereas the messer is the opposite; its slow, and it packs a serious punch.
EDIT: When fighting a group of enemies, one successful swipe with a messer does TONS more damage than 2 succesfull swipes with a rapier. nothing feels better than overpowering 2-4 enemies all trying to kill you by getting in ONE good swing that chops 2 peoples heads off and fatally wounds the other 1-2 people.
sure you might die, but you've proven your point to them gangbangers.
a group of 2-4 people will have a much easier time killing someone armed with a rapier, because they know they can take at least 2 stabs each without dying (more 3-4 if heavy armor), assuming no headshot stabs... which means they can lay into the shield user and get away almost unpunished.

Count 3943 8270

@LuxCandidus said:

what if the xp/gold you get for kills depends on who you killed aswell, like for an exemple higher level players or those with better ratios worth more, this bonus could also be on dependant only on damage rather than kill, so killing a melee god by inflicting 20 damage give you 20% of his added skill value.

or maybe the same thing but the added value would be based on the ammount of kills the person make in 1 life, for an exemple each time you kill someone it multiplies the added value by 1.1, thus right after respawn your added value would be: 1.1, after 10 kills: 2.6, after 20 kills:6.73, after 30 kills:17.45, after 40 kills: 45.26 ect

i have no idea how kill and damage xp/gold are calculated right now but this is just an idea

110 70
  • 10 Jun
 SerJaGGsaW

@TheDankestMeme said:

@LuxCandidus said:

what if the xp/gold you get for kills depends on who you killed aswell, like for an exemple higher level players or those with better ratios worth more, this bonus could also be on dependant only on damage rather than kill, so killing a melee god by inflicting 20 damage give you 20% of his added skill value.

or maybe the same thing but the added value would be based on the ammount of kills the person make in 1 life, for an exemple each time you kill someone it multiplies the added value by 1.1, thus right after respawn your added value would be: 1.1, after 10 kills: 2.6, after 20 kills:6.73, after 30 kills:17.45, after 40 kills: 45.26 ect

i have no idea how kill and damage xp/gold are calculated right now but this is just an idea

yeah this is a great way to get a bunch of 6-7 noobs to gangrape 1 skilled player because "muh gold".
fundamentally terrible suggestion.

Count 3943 8270

@SerJaGGsaW said:

@TheDankestMeme said:

@LuxCandidus said:

yeah this is a great way to get a bunch of 6-7 noobs to gangrape 1 skilled player because "muh gold".

thats actually the idea, dragging the attention to the skilled player so the skilled player can get a fight that matches his skill

24 33
  • 10 Jun
 Sayton

In frontline they are very good for holding points until reinforcements can get there. That's all I can think of.

2 1
  • 10 Jun
 guybrush

@Six354028827c9046f9 said:
I'm enjoying playing with a shield, and I block tons of shots and distract the other team and protect my teammates, but I don't get a lot of kills. It seems like I'm affecting the battles and fights, and if they ignore me I'll hit them with my sword, but I'm curious if this kind of playstyle is going to limit how many points I get for upgrades and whatnot compared to being a more DPS role instead of a Tank?

If you are just blocking and distracting, the answer is yes, it will limit your points, but not because the game is not rewarding you enough but rather you're not contributing enough.

There are lots of things you can do for points if you like playing support, if you get enough hits you'll get tons of assists, you can now use the heavy war axe that has a repair mode so you can build and repair defenses. You can help by destroying enemy defenses as well.

You can gain lots of points by defending and capturing points, if you are good at holding your ground you can contest an neutralize enemy points which is super useful. Also, consider getting medkits and dropping them strategically. You can persistently be in the top 5 with little DPS if you play support correctly, but just blocking and distracting isnt enough

88 53

@TheDankestMeme said:

@SerJaGGsaW said:

@TheDankestMeme said:

@LuxCandidus said:

thats actually the idea, dragging the attention to the skilled player so the skilled player can get a fight that matches his skill

If said skilled player knows how to 1vX it's free KD for him

34 58

your offense isn't limited at all by carrying a shield. your attacks and ripostes are all the same. try using your shield as if you didn't have it, and you'll be able to be a lot more mobile. by that i mean, instead of holding down right click, just press it when their weapon is about to hit you, like you would with a parry. you should also be attacking basically every time someone hits your shield, not just sitting there wait for them to attack again.

10 15
  • 12 Jun
 Breidr

To make people mad. Was watching a stream this morning and there was literally a 30 minutes "shields are cancer" segment, it was pretty funny.

I love how mad people get over shields, and use them more because of it.

EDIT: He just ragequit a server because shields. Love it!

1223 1254

Link it or it didn't happen! ;)

Count 3943 8270

@DodgeThisYouBastarddd said:

@TheDankestMeme said:

@SerJaGGsaW said:

@TheDankestMeme said:

@LuxCandidus said:

If said skilled player knows how to 1vX it's free KD for him

forcing noobs to git gud, its a virtuous circle