Mordhau

Mordhau Weapon Tier List - June 2019 (done right)

138 218

:Legend:
[Melee]
S+ - Meta-defining and seen almost every where.
S - Some of the best weapons that are typically well rounded.
A - Extremely good weapons that only fall slightly behind S tier.
B - Above average weapons that do well in certain aspects, but have some short comings.
C - Average weapons.
D - Below average weapons. Not necessarily terrible, but typically limited in their uses or completely underused.
F - Poor weapons. Wouldn't recommend anyone using these unless it's as a gag or for other purposes. (Lute, to play music. Hammers to repair, etc. etc.)

[Ranged]
A - Above average.
B - Average.
C - Below average.

Melee
S+ - Halberd
S - Eveningstar, Longsword, Battle Axe
A - Zweihander, Spear, Pole Axe, Greatsword, Executioner's Sword, War Axe, Bastard Sword, Messer
B - Bardiche, Maul, Mace
C - Arming Sword, Axe, Rapier, Falchion, Billhook, Estoc, Quarterstaff
D - *Warhammer, Short Spear, Short Sword, Cleaver
F - Dagger, Wooden Mallet, Lute, Training Sword, Blacksmith Hammer

Ranged
A - Throwing Axe, Throwing Knife, Longbow
B - Crossbow
C - Recurve Bow, Rock

Peasant weapons not included. But I would say the Sledgehammer is probably 'C' tier in melee if that counts for anything.

  • All personal opinion from my experiences and current playtime. More specifically the only weapon on this list I really haven't experimented with is the Warhammer as I have not touched it since around the time I started playing Mordhau. I personally felt it was weak when I tried it out but I will be giving it a run for the next few days to get some fresh thoughts on it.

I'd love to hear what others think and perhaps if any weapons should move up or down, or if you agree with the list. Made this cause I saw a certain journalist make one and I simply disagreed on almost everything.

777 1029

righht sledgehammer is as good as rapier

Knight 614 1111
  • 7 Jun
 Uncy

Bardiche and Maul as B, quarterstaff at F, nice joke dude

138 218
  • 7 Jun
 DylanS_98

@Uncy said:
Bardiche and Maul as B, quarterstaff at F, nice joke dude

I actually didn't even realize I put it as F. Probably overlooked it in the list as I was placing them. I've placed it in 'C'. Fairly average in my opinion.

138 218
  • 7 Jun
 DylanS_98

@smellycathawk said:
righht sledgehammer is as good as rapier

If it wasn't a peasant perk weapon, I would say it is. But that isn't the case given it isn't in the list. Still, its a matter of personal opinion.

129 141

Not bed. I'll bite with a few tweaks:

S+ - Halberd
S - Eveningstar, Executioner's Sword, Battle Axe
A - Zweihander, Spear, Pole Axe, Greatsword, Longsword, Bastard Sword, Messer
B - Bardiche, Maul, Mace, Estoc, War Axe
C - Arming Sword, Axe, Rapier, Falchion, Billhook, Quarterstaff, Short Spear
D - *Warhammer, Short Sword, Cleaver, Dagger
F - Wooden Mallet, Lute, Training Sword, Blacksmith Hammer

I haven't used it enough yet but feel like the Scythe might be powerful enough to land in the upper half of this list.

Knight 3132 7290
  • 7 Jun
 Punzybobo

LS is S tier, but GS is A tier?

1 3

IMO there needs to be separate lists for 1v1 duels, open field fights, and tight quarters fights. Some weapons perform very differently in different fights.

For example, the Maul would be s+ or s in the 1v1 list but lacks the reach for open field Frontline fights and has trouble with swing damage in tight places.

Alternatively the Spear isn't great for 1v1 but has great range/poke making it one of the best for open field.

But if you want to keep it as an overall any situation list, then the Zweihander is number 1. It has good poke damage for close quarters, good range for open field, and can hold up in a 1v1 fight.

138 218
  • 7 Jun
 DylanS_98

@Punzybobo said:
LS is S tier, but GS is A tier?

The greatsword is one of my favorite weapons. But so is the longsword. With using both of them extensively and watching others use them, I definitely think the longsword out performs the greatsword. Doesn't mean it is horrible / awful. But when you start comparing the greatsword to other swords in the game. It usually starts to fall behind. Jax did say on his stream at one point the GS could potentially (or he may of said it definitely would) be receiving a buff to its half-swording alt grip. Which I think would be great.

But again, this is all personal opinion. Maybe when I have 1000+ hours instead of like 350 my opinion will be different (given no balance changes happen to the weapons from now to then.)

383 575
  • 8 Jun
 smug

@TerribleTruth said:
IMO there needs to be separate lists for 1v1 duels, open field fights, and tight quarters fights. Some weapons perform very differently in different fights.

For example, the Maul would be s+ or s in the 1v1 list but lacks the reach for open field Frontline fights and has trouble with swing damage in tight places.

Alternatively the Spear isn't great for 1v1 but has great range/poke making it one of the best for open field.

But if you want to keep it as an overall any situation list, then the Zweihander is number 1. It has good poke damage for close quarters, good range for open field, and can hold up in a 1v1 fight.

The maul is not better in duels, it's literally a team fight weapon.

2 5
  • 8 Jun
 sallad

What makes the Zwei A instead of S? It's one of the best all rounders in the game.

1 0
  • 14 Jun
 PureStealth

Messer is easy S tier you've never tried to read one in a duel if you think otherwise

9 13
  • 14 Jun
 dpmagician

this was definitely made by someone with full on autism

156 128

@smug said:

@TerribleTruth said:
IMO there needs to be separate lists for 1v1 duels, open field fights, and tight quarters fights. Some weapons perform very differently in different fights.

For example, the Maul would be s+ or s in the 1v1 list but lacks the reach for open field Frontline fights and has trouble with swing damage in tight places.

Alternatively the Spear isn't great for 1v1 but has great range/poke making it one of the best for open field.

But if you want to keep it as an overall any situation list, then the Zweihander is number 1. It has good poke damage for close quarters, good range for open field, and can hold up in a 1v1 fight.

The maul is not better in duels, it's literally a team fight weapon.

Then you haven't fought in many duels then.

4 3

@TerribleTruth said:
IMO there needs to be separate lists for 1v1 duels, open field fights, and tight quarters fights. Some weapons perform very differently in different fights.

This is the problem I have with these tier lists. You need to specify which mode.

For Frontline (95% of what I play) I would lower halberd to just S tier.
I would raise Maul, Zwei, Spear, Short Spear up one tier for that mode.

Personally I think Throwing Knifes are crap but to each his own.

214 178
  • 14 Jun
 Dialectic

I'm not good enough to comment on all these, but I wonder how longsword is better than messer?

46 13

How do ya'll rate evening star in comparison to longsword? Trying to decide which one to main.

I'm liking the longsword due to it's fast acceleration + slow drags but the 2 hit kill crutch on evening star is helping me a lot against better players.

39 45
  • 14 Jun
 RyMarq

To be honest, I rate most the big weapons as the same - generally good.

There are some situational advantages and disadvantages, especially to longer weapons in team games, but generally larger weapons seem similar. Estoc does indeed feel a hair weak. I feel Bardiche and Billhook are a bit underrated on this list and pole axe a bit overrated.

Mostly though, longsword is better for fighting groups than the Eveningstar which I view as more a dueling weapon.

138 218
  • 15 Jun
 DylanS_98

After making this and reading a lot of the comments, given though some of them are just blatantly bait to troll, it's clear you can't make a tier list which applies to a broad spectrum of people given everyone has a different way of playing the game which also means the weapons they use can either be better or worse in their eyes.

As stated in the OP, this is all very subjective and very much my own opinion. It doesn't mean it is factual or statistically true. So if you think A is better than B, then it is. But if I think B is better than A, then it is.

Yes, there are some weapons that are just obviously better than other ones. For example it would be hard to say the Eveningstar isn't a good weapon. But I'm sure there are those who think it is not.

Regardless. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I revisit the ranks and then I might make some changes to it depending on what I think.