Mordhau

Make all Shields work like Buckler

119 78
  • 6 Jun '19
 Cence

Hey,

I know this is controversial and shields are probably there for casuals to have it easier in the game, but the truth is that when you know what you are doing, you will always destroy a shield user either with kicks, footwork or the jump-overhead-attack.

Because I do not want to unlearn my parry skill, I do not want to play with a shield - except for Buckler or Targe which have the normal parry mechanic.

To make 1vX fights less cancer, and because the bigger shields look really cool to everyone who wants to play as a "tank", all or most shields should be reworked to where they work like Buckler and only provide Stamina Negation and Stamina Boost on disarm.

Alternatively, please add more options for us playing with Targe / Buckler to be able to have a bigger shield that is more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks you for reading.

Knight 7768 14320
  • 6 Jun '19
 ToLazy4Name

hell i'd even be fine with giving them damage reduction ripostes or an enhanced active parry window or something, but held blocks need to go as far as i'm concerned

404 607
  • 6 Jun '19
 smug

Really bad suggestion for many reasons

88 66
  • 6 Jun '19
 Threule

@smug said:
Really bad suggestion for many reasons

Sir, you forgot to state the reasons

777 1031
  • 7 Jun '19
 smellycathawk

how will bad players delude themselves without held block?

162 125
  • 7 Jun '19
 Schwarzchild

i think held should be on every shield, but its discouraged to the point were parrying with a shield benefits (like maybe active parry/stat boost for each parry by shield -has a unique parry time, harder than normal parry-), while holding the shield blocks your view,etc

119 78
  • 7 Jun '19
 Cence

@Schwarzchild said:
i think held should be on every shield, but its discouraged to the point were parrying with a shield benefits (like maybe active parry/stat boost for each parry by shield -has a unique parry time, harder than normal parry-), while holding the shield blocks your view,etc

I like that idea a lot! So the usual shields can hold block, but parry is also possible and it should have more advantages as it is harder to pull off.

129 141
  • 7 Jun '19
 chill_clinton

Shields are in a bad spot. No fun to use, and shield noobs blocking my big boy ripostes and getting me killed in 1vx situations without any true timing or anticipation on their behalf is frustrating. Would be nice if your weapon contacted the shield and carried on during a riposte or something instead of being blocked. Even nicer if they got a major rework. We'll see what the devs have in store.

1908 1995
  • 7 Jun '19
 SWSeriousMike

@ToLazy4Name said:
hell i'd even be fine with giving them damage reduction ripostes or an enhanced active parry window or something, but held blocks need to go as far as i'm concerned

Would agree for melee, but what about ranged defence?

135 156
  • 7 Jun '19
 The Bird

shields could be easily fixed by adding a stamina penalty for overheld blocks. Once held for 5 sec the stamina bar starts to drop and hits gain a 30% stamina bonus against the shield user. This is not unrealistic, and would balance the game much better imo

Knight 936 952
  • 7 Jun '19
 afiNity

shields need to be trashtier tbh

90 78
  • 7 Jun '19
 SushiFish

A shield should just be an empowered parry tool, like the OP is suggesting with having it function the same as a Buckler.

But as far as I am concerned, I do also think that a 'hold' block should exist as well, but it should function very differently rather than being this campy tool you can crutch yourself behind to make you almost invulnerable and immune to weapon maneuvers such as feints, chamber, morph and swing/thrust manipulations.

Perhaps that could be a solution to make one-handed weapons more on par with deadly two-handers who are currently wrecking everything.

Knight 512 984
  • 7 Jun '19
 wierHL

Held block seems necessary if shields are to counter projectiles.

What I'm about to propose may be an incredibly stupid idea, but what if - at least during held block after parry window - hitting a held shield worked just like hitting a player, minus the damage.
So imagine you got a longsword or whatever and 2 bois come up: one with say a waraxe and on his left one with say mace & shield.
Shield boi is holding up his shield the entire time, while you riposte a WAxe strike from your left. Your riposte is going to hit shieldboi's shield first, but instead of stopping on his shield, your sword makes a sort of "clang" sound and continues the strike, maybe with some cosmetic hitstop.
Now shieldboi's turtling hasn't negatively impacted your ability in 1vX and he'll have to be more clever with raising his shield on time to make a difference. This wouldn't apply to blunt weapons which have hitstop obviously.

Now I have no idea if this would be balanced or not. It might even be at risk of just looking bad like a sword just phases through a shield while going "clang". Then again weapons pass through people all the time in this game.

162 125
  • 7 Jun '19
 Schwarzchild

bump because

i like the idea of having all shields have held block but with a twist with parrying is more advantages/have stat boost and discourages turtling/holding block

-i think wierHl idea is on to something, i kinda like it

140 221
  • 7 Jun '19
 DylanS_98

I feel like shields should function just like the targe / buckler. But obviously the bigger they get, the more points they cost. Pretty sure the shield already passively blocks projectiles shot at it (can not confirm or prove this, cause I don't really run around with a shield)

As with the more points they cost, the more stamina they should reduce being taken when 'blocking' a.k.a. parrying. It should also make the parry hitbox wider.. however.. that may or may not be a good idea seeing as shield users are still blocking my attacks even when I'm behind them or stabbing them from the far sides.

Point being. Being able to just hold your shield up doesn't teach people to parry, and it ends up being this really not fun cycle of fighting shield users of trying to mix kicks into morphs or just out right kicking, hit, kick, hit - dead.. or the more 'pleasant' version where you have to fight someone for a monotonous amount of time stamming them out until you knock their shield away.

As I've said on other threads its not the shields were ever 'hard' to counter or beat, they're just not fun to fight against. I get no joy in encountering a shield user because I already know what to expect 99.99% of the time - especially if they're running a thrusting weapon. Stab, stab feint, hold right click.

Feel like having all shields function like the targe / buckler would help players improve tremendously and shields could actually be good by reducing stamina drain and giving them a meaningful edge rather than just being a static barrier to absorb strikes at any point in time.

34 65

holding up your shield for more than a couple seconds should drain stamina. you should also be unable to riposte unlessl a block is timed correctly.
but really, you just need to practice using kicks against shield users. inexperienced shield users are extremely easy to stun lock with kicks. just kick right after you parry one of their attacks, they're not able to back up away from it in time because of the debuff to their backwards movement speed. the main problem i have noticed while using shield is that no one knows how to kick properly because they don't practice in duels against shields. not using kicks against a shield user is the equivalent of never using feints against a 2h user.

119 78
  • 8 Jun '19
 Cence

I'm happy that so many people would like to see more skill added to shields as well. Hopefully the devs notice this thread and make something of it. In today's patch they buffed shields... Which is not fixing the problem.

1 0
  • 14 Jun '19
 Roudrac

@Cence said:
the truth is that when you know what you are doing, you will always destroy a shield user either with kicks, footwork or the jump-overhead-attack.

Because I do not want to unlearn my parry skill, I do not want to play with a shield - except for Buckler or Targe which have the normal parry mechanic.

Then just don't use one. Shields are defensive weapons and great for new players who want to have an easier time parrying. In my opinion it's the opposite option that is best. All shields (buckler and targe included) should have the hold parry option AND all should be slower than they actually are atm, they should also make you move more slowly. Targe and buckler should only have a smaller parry area . It makes no sense to add them without the hold option, bucklers were one the most used shields in 15th century history but due to their uselessness hardly anyone uses them.

119 78
  • 16 Jun '19
 Cence

@Roudrac said:

@Cence said:
the truth is that when you know what you are doing, you will always destroy a shield user either with kicks, footwork or the jump-overhead-attack.

It makes no sense to add them without the hold option, bucklers were one the most used shields in 15th century history but due to their uselessness hardly anyone uses them.

Bucklers are very useful with one-handed weapons to extend your stamina. Obviously you won't encounter them in Frontline because Stamina never matters there.