Mordhau

I played 120 hours so far, and I gotta say - chivalry has better maps.

37 49

Don’t get me wrong. Mordhau is definitely the better game, and just alone for Chivalry’s cancer 360 degree backwards combat id never ever come back to chiv, but I gotta say I really miss Team Objective & it’s maps.

At first frontline seemed like the better idea because of the back & forth gameplay, but tbh at the moment it’s just annoying.

For the last 2 weeks or so I only played on Deathmatch servers to Duel, because of this godly combat system, but I’m barely interested in Frontline. I’m not even hyped for new maps.

Like I said don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to bash on the game, I think it’s still great & quite literally one of the best, if not THE best PVP game I’ve ever played, but I really hope we get a Team Objective Type game mode with bigger / vertically longer maps.

oh and btw fix cloth animation please :-** still not working for GeForce GTX 1070*

Duke 547 912
 Goatie

Yeah map design is overall pretty boring and unbalanced but it also comes with making the match revolve around standing on points and choke points EVERYWHERE in a game with firepot spammers and horses. I think they know they missed the mark in frontline. All the maps are pretty bad for skirmish too. I'd like to see bigger maps with more open areas like Camp instead of corridor central. I don't see any of these maps being the Stoneshill or Dark Forest of Mordhau except maybe Grad if it were bigger like Camp.

Knight 925 2541
  • 6 Jun
 Pred

It's not maps, it's the gamemode. Even if you make maps perfectly balanced, the gamemode would still be a crowded spamfest in a cricle, into which everyone throws fire and shoots arrows and cata.

Frontline is weak from the very foundation, it's not salvageable by tinkering with map design.

Knight 49 107

Good thing "push" might be a thing

777 1029

update when

Sellsword 696 2193
  • 6 Jun
 Goof

Frontline is also bad due to red-favored maps.

All maps excluding Mountain Peak are more favorable to the red team for different reasons.

Taiga - blue spawns are further away from every objective compared to red. Blue in general have to run further to anything. It's impossible to reach the first objective before red even with the use of the horse.

Camp - red has catapult and an actually useful ballista which trumps blue's 2 horses.

Grad - same as camp but blue does have at least 1 really good ballista placement, the ballista closest to the main hall is garbage, most of the view range is an area that no reds ever tread.

Overall the map design for frontline is terrible and makes it very hard to enjoy it for the blue team. If you play red all the time it gets boring because you don't have to try hard to win.

TLDR: Frontline bad, blue loses 9 of 10 times.

82 80
  • 6 Jun
 The Bird

@Goof said:
Frontline is also bad due to red-favored maps.

All maps excluding Mountain Peak are more favorable to the red team for different reasons.

Taiga - blue spawns are further away from every objective compared to red. Blue in general have to run further to anything. It's impossible to reach the first objective before red even with the use of the horse.

Camp - red has catapult and an actually useful ballista which trumps blue's 2 horses.

Grad - same as camp but blue does have at least 1 really good ballista placement, the ballista closest to the main hall is garbage, most of the view range is an area that no reds ever tread.

Overall the map design for frontline is terrible and makes it very hard to enjoy it for the blue team. If you play red all the time it gets boring because you don't have to try hard to win.

TLDR: Frontline bad, blue loses 9 of 10 times.

I agree with all of that except for Grad. I feel Grad is very well-balanced, at the moment. Blue seems to generally do pretty well there from what I've seen.

47 33
  • 6 Jun
 mr_jah

On Taiga blue team can just run into camp and they take it first - just need to hold it. If camp is lost blue have to use 1st respawn instead of 2nd one - it's closer to camp.

Camp - agreed. Catapult + random trebuchet fire is better than nothing.

Grad is fine IMHO. Yes, red has catapult, however blue can hold the house on middle point pretty easily + they has access to house roof so they can jump into the fight :)

1406 1477

@mr_jah said:
If camp is lost blue have to use 1st respawn instead of 2nd one - it's closer to camp.

That's actually a trap because of how easy the access can be cut off. You can try it on the first two respawn waves. Afterwards you are just running into a meat grinder.

80 116

frontline definitely needs a serious overhaul. something like; every point on the map is able to be captured, and each point has a unique objective that players need to participate in to capture said point. as it stands, the TDM in a circle has lost all its luster.

11 4
  • 6 Jun
 gttlin

Like everyone els. Me to tink it have to change I dont really get in the mood to play object on the game mode beacus you almost get no points and on the end you dont get more xp or more gold for playing the object. And it's more a capture the flag or a tdm. It will yust be cool to siege a castle I place of this.

111 53
  • 6 Jun
 yvesgomes

As others have said, in Grad Blue can hold the middle objective pretty easily. The wall + six spikes completely close the front and the left. I totally prefer to play in Blue, there, because I usually primarily play support (builder).

As to Frontline being bad, I must say I disagree. I have a casual perspective, though. I think building defenses to hold objectives is a lot of fun, much more than I could expect for a medieval game. And I enjoy the clusterfuck fights in the circles, with lots of war-cries.

274 320
  • 6 Jun
 DrGert

I agree frontline could use some tweaks to make it more balanced. However, it seems as though they made frontline in attempts to capture the essence of a medevil battle. It seems to be more for the asthetics and visual experience. Hence why winning or losing a match doesn’t really matter too much in terms of gold or xp. I could be wrong but these are just my thoughts.

A more conventional PvP mode like domination or capture the flag might ease the frustration of failed expectations for frontline when it just might simply not be the game mode that should be played competitively. Not to say that it doesn’t have to the potential to be played as such, it just needs some changes

394 589
 smug

I don't think Frontline is that bad. It's a modified 5CP mode from TF2, but with worse maps and an emphasis on zerging rather than skilled movement. 5CP works in TF2 because of it's physics based movement system which allows you to traverse the map quickly, which isn't present in Mordhau.

In regards to immersion I think it fails in that respect, the TO maps like Stonehill and Darkforest were 100x better in that regard.

777 1029

Grad could be fun if the castle was like a king v king top scorers vip thing... like chiv had. Or if everyone on the losing side suddenly had a limited number of spawns (2 or 3) to take back their last point.

Instead we get play the musical fucking objective. Where you have to get into the castle and kill the retarded and not fun to fight npcs, while you just pray the fucking music doesn't stop and they become invulnerable again "RETREEAAT! WE MUST FLEE THE CASTLE, FOR THEY ARE STANDING OUTSIDE OF IT!"

it's a retarded joke :)

312 241
  • 6 Jun
 LoPan

I’d have an input if I played anything but duels 🤷🏻‍♂️

394 589
 smug

@LoPan said:
I’d have an input if I played anything but duels 🤷🏻‍♂️

This mentality is probably why we have shit maps in the first place.

Considering the small player pool they most likely only tested small scale Skirm + Duel. There's some glaring flaws with some of the map's geometry that shouldn't of passed a cursory test.

82 89
  • 7 Jun
 Xanith

I just hate how all the maps have the torch objectives. Always hated that shit. At least in Chiv you could yeet them from far away but in this game you have to be so close and if the enemy team aren't apes you'll never even get close to the objective.

37 49
  • 10 Jun
 Deckard112

@smug said:
I don't think Frontline is that bad. It's a modified 5CP mode from TF2, but with worse maps and an emphasis on zerging rather than skilled movement. 5CP works in TF2 because of it's physics based movement system which allows you to traverse the map quickly, which isn't present in Mordhau.

In regards to immersion I think it fails in that respect, the TO maps like Stonehill and Darkforest were 100x better in that regard.

Dark forest was just godly

Baron 25 6
  • 10 Jun
 AleX

We need mod support ... Soon :D