Mordhau

User ddosing my server and me

5 2

20190604231212_1.jpg

Hello, I run one of the only servers in the middle east and recently ive been getting ddosed by a player. I was out celebrating eid when I came back and my admins told me what happened the ddos user is hellcat. After I saw that I closed my ports. Im not able to play, and I cant host because even if I change my IP. that website which displays server ips will give him mine. what can i do

8 13
  • 4 Jun
 Audition89

On an unrelated topic Eid Mubarak,
I celebrate my first Eid tomorrow.

I hope you find out who is doing this, is there any way you can mask your IP using a VPN?

2366 4798
  • 4 Jun
 Maci

just stone him lmao

5 2

@Audition89 said:
is there any way you can mask your IP using a VPN?

I thought of that but my IP is not the problem, I can just change it by restarting the modem. Problem is there's this website that tells you the IP of the servers anyway for some reason.

1223 1254

A short-term "solution" would be to just shut down the server. That way you can at least play.

Other than that you probably need to request feature support for servers which are not listed in the server browser (e.g. invite only or direct connect).

520 275
  • 5 Jun
 Gambit

So some skiddie makes some blank threats and you're already closing up shop? Words must really hurt your feelings. He's not "flooding" your server, and if he was, it would be worthless to repeatedly do it and he will eventually give up.

1223 1254

So now you even want to defend denial-of-service attacks with freedom of expression.

5 2

@Gambit said:
So some skiddie makes some blank threats and you're already closing up shop? Words must really hurt your feelings. He's not "flooding" your server, and if he was, it would be worthless to repeatedly do it and he will eventually give up.

I mean he has done it, my server has shut down like 3 times because of him. And I'm one of the only servers in my region so the other guys won't have much options to actually play the game.

We get bad ping to EU/NA/Asia/Oceania and our community relies on community servers.

520 275
  • 5 Jun
 Gambit

@SerPurpleWaffle said:

@Gambit said:

I mean he has done it, my server has shut down like 3 times because of him. And I'm one of the only servers in my region so the other guys won't have much options to actually play the game.

We get bad ping to EU/NA/Asia/Oceania and our community relies on community servers.

Do you host your server from home or on the cloud?

178 188
  • 6 Jun
 Roag

I would suggest taking these screenshots and making sure you get his info next time he connects (SteamID) and reporting to steam, unlikely they'll do much but atleast it's out there.

11 2

If you host your server on EC2 and put it behind ELB then you can have some DDOS protection from AWS for free

5 2

I host on my Home PC

520 275
  • 12 Jun
 Gambit

@SerPurpleWaffle said:
I host on my Home PC

I would avoid doing that. Plus, he is probably only DOSing you from his home connection based on what he said, so it is only down to the fact he has a faster home internet speed. I'm not sure what the cost of hosting is where you are so it's easy for me to say this, but it is quite cheap ($5) to host a 24 person server in most parts of the world. It would be a lot safer than hosting at home and would mitigate most attacks. You should definitely figure out some logging system to see where the attacks are coming from though, if they are a certain protocol, port or source and then it might be an easy fix.