Mordhau

240 ripostes need to be more responsive

114 191

I know binds are supposed to be the competitive option, but I can't stand using binds when 240 offers such a fluid feeling for combat. Currently if you move your mouse in a direction to parry an attack, then while the parry animation plays, you move it in a different direction to riposte from there, the attack will still come out from where you originally moved your mouse to parry 9 out of 10 times. It would be nice to make it so the game registers your angle of attack more consistently when you want to riposte from a specific angle using 240.

523 566
 Deadmode

Check your mouse settings. In Settings->Controls there is a checkbox to allow direction input from the mouse before or after the attack input. This will correct you problem.

114 191

@Deadmode said:
Check your mouse settings. In Settings->Controls there is a checkbox to allow direction input from the mouse before or after the attack input. This will correct you problem.

That's on by default, should it be off?

96 128
  • 4 Jun
 Reapy

I've felt this a bit too when trying to get a specific hit. You have to really jam your hand back the direction you want and make sure that you set the direction post parry. I do have a feeling something is a little odd feeling as a simple motion like looking left then trying to ripost down right can be hard to pull out without a little practice.

I think though it does come down to the issue of you needing to ripost in a very short window of time and due to this we are clicking before dragging back the direction we want. When I really focused on getting the direction I wanted and being fast with it, it works.

So it might just be by nature of the control scheme. I think there are honestly a lot of little situations 240 is awkward to do, say you want to look down right to accel but want to start windup for an upper left while you are moving your camera while also looking 'smooth', you are going to have to stop, jerk back, and continue the motion. With a button you just hit it and are free to drag all over to go with or against the swing.

109 165
 Speak

I just tested in-game myself, because I remembered that parry actually has two anims depending on your horizontal mouse input, so I was curious if each anim is restricted to only doing ripostes from that side.

The result of my test was that I found it pretty much impossible to do a "right" parry followed by a "left" slash with just 240 inputs (even though it felt like I was doing reasonable mouse inputs for doing that), but I could do it easily if I held the Flip Attack Side button while doing the same inputs. (I have Flip Attack Side bound to a mouse thumb button since regular 240 behavior is good for chambers while reversed 240 behavior is good for accels. Takes some learning to get used to using both ways, of course.)

So uh if you're using 240 instead of binds like I am, then I recommend binding Flip Attack Side. i guess

777 1029

240 is alright for first strikes and it can simplify chambering. But it falls apart if you rely on it for combos or even ripostes.
When relying on 240 i found myself throwing out random directions for riposte and just reacting to whatever animation i got. So imo binds are a necessity for proper combos, and just make life easier for riposting.

Mercenary 176 611
  • 5 Jun
 Stauxie

240 has a learning curve as well, you aren't going to master it in 100 hours.

Also, angle after press pretty much removes the "randomness" from ripostes.

5 3

Question: is there by now a way to have Jedi Knight controls? Like if you move left while attacking it results in a left slash?

109 165
  • 5 Jun
 Speak

@LukeSkywish said:
Question: is there by now a way to have Jedi Knight controls? Like if you move left while attacking it results in a left slash?

Yup. That's an option, in the options. You can enable it if you want. I don't particularly recommend it since obviously it limits what combinations of movement-and-attack you can do, constricting your footwork.

Knight 933 941
  • 6 Jun
 afiNity

@LukeSkywish said:

As someone who played Jedi Knight for 10 years and played Mordhau for the last 100 hours with these controls:
It feels really nice and overall I can recommend it but it's really hard to do underhand swings (SA + SD), especially on ripostes.
So even though the JKA system is completely part of my muscle memory and I always had problems with the 240 system, I actually changed back to the 240 system cause I felt like the JKA system began to limit my progress.