Mordhau

Third-person in Competitive

109 165
  • 4 Jun
 Speak

Is third-person formally banned in the informal Mordhau competitive scene/clique?

Will third-person be disabled in Ranked modes? (Which, as I understand it, are planned.)

(For context, I like third person. It makes drags/accels much more intuitive, gives me greater awareness in chaotic group fights, lets me see my customized character, and gives me better "full body awareness". I think that if people dislike the way that third person enables a drag heavy playstyle, then DRAGS should be nerfed, not Third Person.)

383 577
  • 4 Jun
 smug

Considering the devs are ex chiv players/comp chiv players it's probably banned for ranked mate.

1083 6138
  • 4 Jun
 crushed — Art

We have no plans to ban third person in ranked mode.

Count 131 218
  • 4 Jun
 Pariah

@crushed said:

Which is fair.

Ranked should be available for everyone who plays, regardless of their POV.

I'd be pretty pissed if I poured hours into learning the game in third person from the beginning and was then forced to relearn how to play in first person for ranked.

In saying that though, the informal comp community would probably force first person for scrims etc, but the options not there yet afaik.

777 1029

@crushed said:

Are you raising the first person fov limit to make accels as consequence free for 1st as it is for 3rd?

383 577
  • 4 Jun
 smug

@smellycathawk said:

@crushed said:

Are you raising the first person fov limit to make accels as consequence free for 1st as it is for 3rd?

LOL

129 141

I like the 3rd person for Frontline. I whiff more stabs but hit more slashes and survive more sketchy scenarios because I have more awareness of where my blade is and where the enemy is at any given time.

Knight 917 2522
 Pred

It surely will be separated into 1st/3rd only, so the 1st person players don't have to be at disadvantage competing against superior 3rd person perspective, right?

95 87
  • 4 Jun
 BOBOLOJOE

I play the same in 1st as i do 3rd but for some reason i prefer 3rd so i can easier duck swings and see people coming from the sides... downside is people stabbing from directly infront of you, are blocked by.... you... so you can't see when to parry.

i guess with everything in chivalry its a balance of pros and cons

210 197
  • 4 Jun
 recurf

@Pred said:
It surely will be separated into 1st/3rd only, so the 1st person players don't have to be at disadvantage competing against superior 3rd person perspective, right?

first person is by far superior to third person

Knight 917 2522
 Pred

@recurf said:

@Pred said:

first person is by far superior to third person

No, not really. Extreme accels/drags are less risky, footwork is far superior and enemy attacks are more readable in 3rd.

47 33
  • 4 Jun
 mr_jah

3rd person shouldn't be in game IMHO, at least we should be able to separate it.

4 2
  • 6 Jun
 PopJe

Oh damn, time to hotkey 3rd person to my mouse

48 16

enemy attacks are more readable in 3rd.

Try a fight in 3rd against a short weapon who is constantly closed to you. It forces you suddently to look very down, just to watch what the antagonist does, because your own silhouette hides everything. So instantly you lose all the benefits of 3rd, and it forces you to constantly juggle with up and down movement with the mouse.
The only reason I play in 3rd is because Motion Sickness tends to be very hard in 1st.

When we will play in 3rd with our character silhouette's outline only, yes it will become an advantage. I'll be the first to admit. But there's no client mod yet for this purpose.

310 239
  • 6 Jun
 LoPan

I only play 3rd person now because of WOTR. I like to see my character. First person is fun but 3rd is my personal preference.

777 1029

@xperimentxp said:

enemy attacks are more readable in 3rd.

The only reason I play in 3rd is because Motion Sickness tends to be very hard in 1st.

This would be the entire point of having adjustable fov. I donno why it is limited in a game like this

529 278

All of these 1rst person only players who never play 3rd person, and complain about 3rd person being op XD

3rd person gives you lots of disadvantages too, makes it harder to read people, block your view, your projectiles are skewed from your crosshair, and will go slightly to the side. You can't tell how far away things are sometimes as well.

383 577
  • 7 Jun
 smug

Comp chiv bias wont ever permit third person to be a thing atleast in Ranked. Just deal with it, you could be an archer or shield main and have it worse.

162 124

yeah fov for 1st person hurts my eyes, i would preferably have blackbox with low resolution to not get dizzy after a long period of game. atleast make it a +5 or +10 more on the limit. no need to make it more than that

96 128
  • 7 Jun
 Reapy

This isn't chiv. Dev team has balanced 3rd person and comp players feel 1st person is better regardless, so why would they ban it?

Crush just posted it and time and again they have said play as you want. Fov is limited intentionally, 3rd person camera is placed intentionally for balance.

Pick what you like and main it, don't worry about not being able to use it when you want.