Mordhau

Constant Crashing and Freezing - Where is the Dev response?

8 5

it's been posted about by dozens of users. this game would be my literal favorite game on steam if i could just get more than 20 minutes of gametime without it freezing.

no setting adjustments seem to fix it, updated drivers on high-end hardware, temps are fine, stock clocks are being used, and i've tried just about every rumored solution without any luck. this is a NEW issue. i was able to play my first 20 or so hours of this game without so much as a stutter, but now my game session ends with a crash literally 100% of the time.

this seems to be the most recent crash report:
Fatal error: [File:Unknown] [Line: 826] Rendering thread exception: Fatal error: [File:Unknown] [Line: 200] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - 'HUNG') 0x00007ffe0ce6a388 KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a340dcd9 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a34440f9 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a33d6f4c Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a33a0f2d Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a384d34b Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a384e17b Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3842fda Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3ab6f2d Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a38aebbf Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b6c381 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b3b505 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b6866f Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b6a7f4 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b6a485 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a39935b2 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3913186 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b2f67f Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3b206b9 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3310a73 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3c821b2 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3c82238 Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3418aab Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ff6a3415fec Mordhau-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ffe0e0e4034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction [] 0x00007ffe10a83691 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

8 5

Specs

i7 6700k
EVGA 1080ti
16gb DDR4
Windows 10

40 69
  • 3 Jun '19
 geach3d — Art

I'd reset the settings to default to by deleting both the Intermediate and Saved folders, located in -C:Users:YourName:AppData:Local:Mordhau.

So start the game fresh and then we can get new logs if the game continues to crash.

Logs will be in 2 folders; Crashes, and Logs, both in the saved folder, at the above location, called Mordhau.txt. Please name them appropriately ex; Mordhau_Crashes.txt. You can use a site like pastebin to give us the logs https://pastebin.com/

Thanks.

8 5

@geach3d said:
I'd reset the settings to default to by deleting both the Intermediate and Saved folders, located in -C:Users:YourName:AppData:Local:Mordhau.

So start the game fresh and then we can get new logs if the game continues to crash.

Logs will be in 2 folders; Crashes, and Logs, both in the saved folder, at the above location, called Mordhau.txt. Please name them appropriately ex; Mordhau_Crashes.txt. You can use a site like pastebin to give us the logs https://pastebin.com/

Thanks.

Deleting the settings didn't solve the freezing directly, but i dont think you expected that to be the solution. here are the reports

Mordhau_Crashes: https://pastebin.com/hZrFzd50
Mordhau_Logs: https://pastebin.com/7Q1rcWAw

8 5

any help here?

i just had about 12 crashes in 30 minutes just trying to mess with my loadout in the armory. PLEASE HELP SO I CAN PLAY THE GAME I PAID FOR.

4 6
  • 6 Jun '19
 GreRonaBan

I'll throw my hat into this ring considering out of the dozens and dozens of threads that have this issue crop up, we finally got a dev response. I Have the same/similar issue reported above, As well with the TEN OTHERS I compiled on my own report after just a few minutes of browsing the forum. Steam forums have just as many reports of this random ass issue with no support received. Game is absolutely fantastic, but support literally isn't there. We have dozens of people (and these are just the ones who are willing to report the issue, I imagine many more have this issue and will just write the game off and trash it in their reviews) who literally cannot play the game.

I've system restored, I've reinstalled windows, I've cleaned my entire PC head to toe hardware and software. I've verified my files, i've tried every combination of in-game settings, resolutions and monitors. I've reinstalled the game. Cloth physics and Ragdoll physics do not solve it. I've verified the game install, I've checked for malware and registry errors. I've tried using vpn's, disabling firewalls, using NO firewalls, resetting my router, tried over wi-fi and hard-wired connection. I've tried installing on different hard drives. ALL my drivers are up to date, my bios and chipset are up to date. Windows is update (May Update version 1903). I've tried disabling steam overlays and hardware monitoring software.

This only started happening after the mid May update. I put 140 hours into the game with literally zero issues up until that update came out. If we could get ANY sort of direction on what to do next, or at least some acknowledgement that this isn't something we can fix on the user side so I can just move on already that would be great. Sorry to come off as hostile if I do, but goddamn it this is frustrating. I just want to murk some dudes and i haven't been able to play for weeks and am likely behind the curve now at what I feel like is no fault of my own.

Mordhau_Crashes
Mordhau_Logs

8 5

I feel your pain. Even when they can be bothered to respond, it's usually just a "post your crash logs" and then literally ZERO communication afterwards. How about a "we're aware of the issue". This is terrible and excruciating for someone who wants to really love and enjoy this game.

13 3
  • 10 Feb
 idrum4you

I also have the same issue. Very, very, very frustrating, been dealing with it with any game that runs on unreal engine 4. If you guys have any games that run on UE4 check it out and see if you get the same crash with the “failed to load shader library” errors. I bought Jedi Fallen Order around Christmas time and it crashes every 5 minutes with the same errors. With Mordhau I can get lucky and play a few games, but sometimes it crashes in 5-10 minutes as well. I’ve tried everything I’ve found on the internet including but not limited to:

• verifying game file integrity via steam
  • updating all hardware drivers
  • updating UE4
  • clean install of drivers using DDU
  • playing on lowest graphic settings
  • used AMD Radeon Software and MSI Afterburner to try stock clock speeds and underclocked speeds
  • all temps are nominal
  • running game and steam as administrator
  • clearing shader cache
  • launching the game with directX 12
  • setting the game “high priority” in task mgr
  • clean boot of windows
  • adding Mordhau as an exception to windows defender and firewall
  • tried not running any gpu software
  • some other small windows settings that I can’t remember but didn’t help lol

About to just say f*ck it and start replacing hardware til the problem is solved because god damn it this game is worth it. Would be nice not to have to spend that money though. Been looking for a fix for months!!!

My build:
CPU - AMD 6350 6-core 3.9GHz
Cooling - Corsair H80i GT
Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX pro
Graphics -ASUS Radeon R9 390 8GB
Power supply - Thermaltake 750w
OS - Windows 10
RAM - GSKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (8x4) DDR3 *i think
Hard drive - Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Duke 5558 13283
  • 11 Feb
 Jax — Community Manager

Yeah, so this seems to be a UE4 issue - not a Mordhau specific issue. We don't know exactly why this is happening, but there's a chance you can find a fix for all UE4 games. As basic as it sounds, make sure everything is up to date - drivers, windows, etc. and that could help :(

874 375

I've been wondering for a while...it runs smooth on my win7. I should be the one with problems. I had 2-3 crashes in all my playing time.
Try running Windows 7 compitability if this still exists.
Also install .NET framework (I think 2015?) just in case. Mordhau is using it, I've seen it cause trouble in other games.
Deleting the "modio" folder in mordhau helped other people with their crashes. Although this might be a different Issue.

[Line: 200] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost.

Maybe Unreal Engine has problems detecting your primary video card. Why? Idk but try disabling the graphics unit of your CPU / onboard graphics.
Bridging them might do something.

13 3
  • 28 Feb
 idrum4you

I solved the issue!!! (with my PC at least) the problem lied in the 2 extra sticks of RAM I installed. Not sure what's wrong with them because they're exactly the same as the other ones that are still in my PC but I removed them and I played the game for about 7 hours straight with no crashes at all. Fingers crossed it stays that way. So my recommendation is try messing around with your RAM to find a solution. I've heard of people altering the RAM clock speeds to fix the same issue; worst case scenario at least RAM isn't that expensive, I'd try some new sticks if you still can't find out what's wrong.