Mordhau

Please, if you want people to keep playing your game, put some auto-kick filters in place for slurs

Conscript 168 356

@donewithracistkids said:
It takes a fair amount to actually offend me or cause me to go and do something about it if I am... but here I am after all...

EVERY game I've played over the last week has a dozen or so balls-yet-to-drop edgelords shouting the n word and other slurs in chat. Votekick only does so much. Turning off chat is a garbage option because chat is useful for tactics, strategy, even sharing a laugh over an absurd fight with a foe.

I want this game to succeed. But if something isn't done about the absurd levels of toxicity, racism, homophobia, and transphobia I see in on a daily basis, the edgy kids (and the actual bigots) are going to burn out the community. I've seen it before on other games I love who failed to address it and it eats away at the player base constantly (read: YOUR FUTURE PROSPECT FOR PROFITS).

If someone is spamming slurs, they should be auto-kicked. Simple as that. Put an algorithm in place. There's a reason for several other threads bringing up these issues, but I haven't seen any call for an auto-kick from servers.

Sure, you'll get idiots who spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out ways around the filters, but it shows that the company cares about making the community a place where people aren't repeatedly subjected to abuse simply as part of using the chat -- an integral feature of the game.

Nice bait nig nog

Count 3976 8328

@donewithracistkids said:
EVERY game I've played over the last week has a dozen or so balls-yet-to-drop edgelords shouting the n word and other slurs in chat.

every multiplayer game ever

1405 1477

@urm said:
If you don't see the chat, you can not be verbally attacked.
People will always be able to verbally attack you, regardless of the chat filter or banning system, they will just use different words.
Verbal abuse limiting laws make some sense in reality, as it can be impossible to ignore any specific person, but on the internet it is always your choice if you are listening to some stranger who is being "abusive" to you.

1st: You are wrong. Disabling chat would not be enough to prevent being verbally attacked. You can always change your name to insult someone.
2nd: It shouldn't be the people that know how to behave themselves that should not have access to the chat but rather those that don't. You lock up criminals not victims.
3rd: Racism already is against the rules on the official servers. If you want to let racists/trolls get off scot-free than you should want the same for cheaters/hackers.

1405 1477

@conny said:
@skinnypete why do you say that people have the right not to see/hear certain words? Freedome of speech is the law. Except incitement for violence. When you reatrict peoplea right to insult a whole lot of other things get censored too. And what happens when those in power control what everybody get to say?

And another one who doesn't know what freedom of speech is. Maybe you should finish high school first before you try to be a lawyer.

87 185
  • 2 Jun
 Dekkers

Imagine quitting a game because some people typed naughty words in the chat

Knight 399 868
  • 2 Jun
 Alphonse

I feel like I've already posted something about it, but can we all agree on a FACT? These are the official server rules which include:

1. Racism, prejudice and offensive content:
    Use of derogatory, offensive terms on official servers is not allowed. Conduct yourself in a polite manner or you may be temporarily/permanently banned from official servers.

If it were up to me, I'd auto ban all the offenders in 24h increments but if that's too "SJW" or whatever, you could just auto mute them (i.e., ban them from chatting) if they say some bad word 2 or 3 times. If they're repeated offenders ban them from text chat in increments. If they're too stupid to get the idea, ban them from the game for a while. I think Rocket League did something like this esp. for chat.

Let them play the game, which they paid for or whatever (I AM AN AMERICAN AND I DEMAND TO SEE THE MANAGER) just don't let them ruin the chat for everyone else or spew their dumb bigotry and need for attention. Make it an optional feature (enabled by default) for private servers.

The word filter is too nice of a measure. Assholes will try to bypass it or spam the chat with bullshit, which in turn generates more bullshit. Any tool that does this automatically makes sense to me. The game will leave a less negative impression on sensitive people and any normal human being. They will complain about exploits and intentional TKing, but they won't be able to say it's a cesspool of racist autists like Chivalry.

Of course, include loading screen tips that encourage positive behavior.

36 24

you find words offensive but not decapatiating lifeless bodies? ....2019 Everyone!

Knight 399 868
  • 2 Jun
 Alphonse

@MoMoMonsterkill said:
you find words offensive but not decapatiating lifeless bodies? ....2019 Everyone!

There's an in-game option to disable gore / dismemberment.

717 594

starting to think the devs are terrified of losing their crusades-fetishizing racist demographic considering a giant subset of the community seems to be lobbying for racism to own the "normies" lol

1757 1412
  • 2 Jun
 Rergato

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
starting to think the devs are terrified of losing their crusades-fetishizing racist demographic considering a giant subset of the community seems to be lobbying for racism to own the "normies" lol

I don’t think they’re terrified, they just want to remain neutral, imagine the fucking drama with these retard hardcore gamers.
We just got to ignore them. They can’t be saved— they made the choice of clicking a few bad links on 4chan, and now they’re brainwashed.

162 104

Words have an impact on people, thats for sure. If words would not cause harm in you then you wouldnt react on topic posts like this one:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/16970/this-game-is-extremely-uniquely-toxic-and-i-can-no/?page=1

in such a triggered way.

If words would not have any effect then you wouldnt hate people which think in an opposite direction then you do so much.Because words have meaning in them and words can be used to create hate in other people. And this hate can manifest in a physical way later on,like running around with a gun and shooting randomly imigrants or throwing molotov cocktails in their homes. You are fighting in this forum constantly over words others have said to you and get mad about them and then say that words have no effect on you?

You make posts like this one here:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/17538/respect-yourself-and-others-will-respect-you/

where you claim that the community is portrait in an unfair way in this forum.

If the people portraing you in that "unfair" way use just words to do so, then why do you care? You said it yourself:

"Its just words".

8 11

bigger issue right now seems to be votekick being literally non functional. Being offended at words is one thing, being literally unable to kick griefers and having them empty out official servers isnt really good for the game. It baffles me how someone could place so much importance on moderating the chat when griefing is completely unpunishable unless you own the server atm

95 81

Personally I feel that automated filters just cover up the problem and do not educate people at all.
We all skirt our responsibilities as human beings if the best we can do about hate - no matter how casual or "just for fun" - is try to ignore it best we can.

Quite frankly, its my personal opinion that everyone in the commercial and social space should be part of teaching everyone that it is just not okay to do this. Normally it used to be that parents took care of this, but the last 20 years online have shown me that apparently this is no longer a mainstream thing to do.

So its up to everyone to say: No dude, its not cool to casually spam the n-word, hate on differently sexually oriented people or reduce things that actually help fuel a larger problem to "I just wanna feel cool and edgy" just so that you aren't as bored out of your mind as before.
Societal life is also about at least a little effort towards societal responsibility, not enabling bored trolls and internet edgelords.
If you are old enough to play a game containing the levels of gore that Mordhau has, you should be old enough to curse without using hatespeech. And if you do slip up, to apologize and just plain calm down and stop afterwards.

If that already is an issue for you, its YOU that has a serious personal problem, not the world that you feel entitled to having to enable you to stay the most edgiest edgeboy ever.

Or, to put this in

tl;dr: Report offenses when you see them and give increasingly larger timebans from official servers if people do not follow the rules, period.

162 104

@HalldeiMaul said:

Quite frankly, its my personal opinion that everyone in the commercial and social space should be part of teaching everyone that it is just not okay to do this. Normally it used to be that parents took care of this, but the last 20 years online have shown me that apparently this is no longer a mainstream thing to do.

So its up to everyone to say: No dude, its not cool to casually spam the n-word, hate on differently sexually oriented people or reduce things that actually help fuel a larger problem to "I just wanna feel cool and edgy"

The people who troll and grief, want to create outrage.So complaining about them and criticizing them does only reinforce them in doing so.

I really think that most of them are autistic and that trolling is their only way of communicating with others. They want to socialize with others, but they cant, because nobody wants to talk to them, so they try to force others to recognize them by doing something which others cant ignore.

@whatsupbuddymen said:
bigger issue right now seems to be votekick being literally non functional. Being offended at words is one thing, being literally unable to kick griefers and having them empty out official servers isnt really good for the game.

100 % agreed. But i dont know if votekick is really the right tool for that purpose. As long as the team just blindly votekicks every name which comes up multiply times, trolls can just initiate votekicks against everyone else and as long as they are presistend and initiate votekicks again and again its only a matter of time until the rest of the team is so annoyed be seeing constant votekicks against one person, that they gave just in and votekick this person, even if this person had done nothing wrong.

I think an automated system would be better which kicks people automatically if a certain treshold of teamdamage and teamkills are reached from that person. And if a person gets kicked automatically then the person gets a 1 hour ban for that server ontop of it.

You also shouldnt be able to switch team mid round and engineers shouldnt be able to build inside indoor spawn areas. And showing the teamkills and teamdamage every person has done when votekicks happen and on the scoreboard would also be welcomed.

Knight 7666 14066

@SkinnyPete said:
You made the assertion, so demonstrate it, or it's a vacuous, fallacious, and worthless waste of a post. You made the claim, your burden of proof kid.

wtf brand of autism afflicts you that you can't understand there's no way to prove that something doesn't mean what someone says it means? You can't just prove someone's intent, and understanding that you can say one thing without meaning it in a certain way is something for you to understand, not for me to prove you weirdo

80 35
  • 2 Jun
 SkinnyPete

@conny said:
@skinnypete why do you say that people have the right not to see/hear certain words? Freedome of speech is the law. Except incitement for violence. When you reatrict peoplea right to insult a whole lot of other things get censored too. And what happens when those in power control what everybody get to say?

Two things, first what you did is called the sliipery slope fallacy. If P then Q. It's fallacious. Secondly, "freedom of speech" if you're American, only does not mean you can say whatever you want, when you want.

To answer your question as to why I say people have the right, is that we have come to a consensus as a majority of humans here that using words that relate directly to the oppression of a group of people is not acceptable. Since you brought up freedom of speech, then you must accept that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence and criticism.

80 35
  • 2 Jun
 SkinnyPete

@ToLazy4Name said:

@SkinnyPete said:
You made the assertion, so demonstrate it, or it's a vacuous, fallacious, and worthless waste of a post. You made the claim, your burden of proof kid.

wtf brand of autism afflicts you that you can't understand there's no way to prove that something doesn't mean what someone says it means? You can't just prove someone's intent, and understanding that you can say one thing without meaning it in a certain way is something for you to understand, not for me to prove you weirdo

Do you know what an unfalsifiable claim is? If you can't demonstrate your claim, then form a proper syllogism of premises and a conclusion. Oh wait, I can see you haven't thought that far.

This just boils down to your feelings.

Knight 7666 14066

@SkinnyPete said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@SkinnyPete said:

Do you know what an unfalsifiable claim is? If you can't demonstrate your claim, then form a proper syllogism of premises and a conclusion. Oh wait, I can see you haven't thought that far.

This just boils down to your feelings.

I have no idea what any of that meant, your IQ is simply too high for me to keep up tbh

717 594

my strobe light gamer brain can't grasp the fundamentals of logic but i'll be damned if i stop posting

40 31
 six

Auto-kick for that def needs to be enabled
Nah y’all aren’t ready for this. I’ll say it when you’re older