Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Something is wrong with the way server connections are handled. I can have upwards of 40 ping to a server hosted on my own PC!

4 1
  • 30 May '19
 Rad

Ever since release I've had pretty high ping on all servers, minimum being around 60 and average around 80. (I am not counting the bug in the first 3-4 days that caused servers to spike up to 300 ping for everyone).

I mainly play on Frankfurt servers as they are the closest to me. Normally, in other games i get 30-50 ping in Frankfurt and other German servers. Doing a speed test confirms this with my ping being 35+-2 which is very good.
In order to confirm that my internet is definitely not at fault here, I created a dedicated server on my PC and low and behold, I actually had latency, ON THE SAME MACHINE!!!

To do more testing, I had a friend from Germany join my server and her connection to my server was pretty much the same as my connection to German servers. The weirdest thing is that when there were just the two of us my latency was around 20 (Should be 0) and when more people joined and the server started filling up I would go up to 40 and even 50 once. I've also had people from my country join and they would have 50-60 ping which just shouldn't be a thing. To show how bad this is, my friend from Ireland gets 60 ping on my Arma 3 server (on my pc again) and people from my country get 60 ping in Mordhau.

I do not know what could be the cause. I assume the problem is that the connection doesn't go directly to the server which is why I have ping when playing on my own server on my PC. For more reference, here's a link to a quick speed test I did to a random server in Frankfurt: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8260713593

67 40
  • 30 May '19
 Kuro1n

Afaik the game includes other things in the calculation of ping, not just actual ping in Mordhau (according to other posters). Maybe someone who knows more can confirm? Ping goes up with more users because the server have to handle more data in and out and it might be that the machine is suffering if you run it on your own computer.

96 128
  • 30 May '19
 Reapy

I did see that they factor in some other latency times besides just network connection to the ping. I've noticed that on frontline my pings fluctuate up and down as more people join the server and when more 'activity' is happening. I've been on some silky smooth community servers too.

I have a feeling mordhau is really CPU bound and the server's might need to have a bit more beef than they currently have to support large frontline games. I really wish the official server's will get upgraded in the future as I love the matchmaker convenience but it always puts me into a 100 ping frontline game which ends up just not being fun at all and I end up having to look for a community server instead.

4 1
  • 30 May '19
 Rad

@Reapy said:

I have a feeling mordhau is really CPU bound and the server's might need to have a bit more beef than they currently have to support large frontline games. I really wish the official server's will get upgraded in the future as I love the matchmaker convenience but it always puts me into a 100 ping frontline game which ends up just not being fun at all and I end up having to look for a community server instead.

Yeah I really would like to have better official servers.

1 0
  • 3 Jun '19
 airborne2560

When I first started playing my ping was on a steady 60-80 ratio, now I get nothing below 150? Aand 150 is the lowest!! just gotta wait around for better servers I guess?