Mordhau

Bigotry in chat is out of hand

23 9
  • 29 May
 Cpt.Blitz

I try to kindly remind everyone that we are all just humans... God's children if they believe it... and one day, will be held accountable for every action, word deed, etc. What we do, say, think, really does matter in the grand scheme of things.

*Takes off white helmet, exhausted from a good days worth of preaching :)

Cheers all!

• Your friendly White Knight
39 150

I'm black. Aussie indigenous. I LOVE* how bigots like the OP think that we are so weak that words will send us into a tailspin. I've been hearing slurs all my life, online is more of the same, it hasn't bothered me since I was like 10 years old. But thanks for thinking so little of us. Usually people like you fall into 2 ways of thinking, it's either "White Saviour complex" or "Noble Savage" OP is the first one, bravely swinging in to save us poor, dirty savages from everything because you believe we are not capable of doing so ourselves. Bigot is your name and I've known you since I was a little fella.

Fucksticks like you think you can use us as a political weapon, we have woken up to this shit. Fuck off.

*Don't actually love it.

• 30 May
 takemura
This comment was deleted.
1417 1488

So many badasses in this thread.
We have an American freedom fighter armed and ready to take down any government or peaceful rally and an Australian bush warrior tired of being harassed by the overly aggressive fauna. After having strangled 'roos and crocs with his bare feet, he know hunts the most dangerous of prey: Anonymous forum users he disagrees with.

45 104

I can imagine that, if I were Jewish, or a member of another minority who people make 'jokes' about through bigoted language, I'd feel unable to enjoy playing this game with chat on.

What did you expected from this nazi racism playground? I mean, there was some guy who were angry from a fact that one of the bots have Jewish name. And this bot is actually removed by devs. Not even mentioning that you can't change your mercenary's skin color to any different than a shade of white.

Knight 108 140

Valid points like 28 others. Keep making these threads until the problem is seen to.

Knight 7681 14089
  • 30 May
 ToLazy4Name

@SWSeriousMike said:
We have an American freedom fighter armed and ready to take down any government or peaceful rally and an Australian bush warrior tired of being harassed by the overly aggressive fauna. After having strangled 'roos and crocs with his bare feet, he know hunts the most dangerous of prey: Anonymous forum users he disagrees with.

wait who is the freedom fighter is that me

Duke 548 912
  • 30 May
 Goatie

This is starting to become a joke. How are you all getting targeted so much unless you're aggressive in chat and give out personal info like an idiot. It legit does look like bait.

777 1029

@SWSeriousMike said:

Australia is a left wing hellhole

80 116
1417 1488

@ToLazy4Name said:

No, sorry. You are not on the list. You haven't bragged enough.
Ligeia is the American superhero on his crusade to bring liberty to infidels.

Duke 17 18
  • 30 May
 Ligeia

@SWSeriousMike said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

No, sorry. You are not on the list. You haven't bragged enough.
Ligeia is the American superhero on his crusade to bring liberty to infidels.

Sure man, calling some dork out on being a dumdum and reminding them of their failings as they criticize others is definitely bragging. You can get in line and stay mad forever too lmao

2/10 bait, made me reply.

1417 1488

@Ligeia said:
P.S. You wouldn't know freedom of speech or any "flavour" of freedom if it suffocated you with an American flag, nerd. Stay mad forever.

Knight 7681 14089
  • 31 May
 ToLazy4Name

bruh said dumdum wtf someone call the cops

777 1029

being suffocated always makes me know freedom good

Duke 17 18
  • 31 May
 Ligeia

@smellycathawk said:
being suffocated always makes me know freedom good

I bet it does.

150 58
  • 31 May
 Botas

@unabridgedpenis said:
I'm black. Aussie indigenous. I LOVE* how bigots like the OP think that we are so weak that words will send us into a tailspin. I've been hearing slurs all my life, online is more of the same, it hasn't bothered me since I was like 10 years old. But thanks for thinking so little of us. Usually people like you fall into 2 ways of thinking, it's either "White Saviour complex" or "Noble Savage" OP is the first one, bravely swinging in to save us poor, dirty savages from everything because you believe we are not capable of doing so ourselves. Bigot is your name and I've known you since I was a little fella.

Fucksticks like you think you can use us as a political weapon, we have woken up to this shit. Fuck off.

*Don't actually love it.

What do you have to say to this TC?

Nothing, this doesn't fit your narrative... you are probably suffering from cognitive dissonance after you read this.

39 21
  • 31 May
 Beefenstein

@unabridgedpenis said:
I'm black. Aussie indigenous. I LOVE* how bigots like the OP think that we are so weak that words will send us into a tailspin.

Well, okay, let's talk about where aborigines are stereotypically believed to live. What did send communities on reserves into a tailspin? Substance abuse and abuse of children (physical and sexual [1]) are quite high, suicide rates are high, life expectancy is comparatively low, measures of success are comparatively low. What's sending you into a tailspin there, mate?

In reality, you probably know more than I do about how most aborigines actually live in urban areas, not the outback -- just like an average Aussie. To quote Des Headland[2], AFL premiership player and Noongar man, "[Non-Aboriginal people] picture red dust, bare feet, dark skin, out on a reserve. But it’s just not the reality. Most Aboriginals are like us, urbanised blackfellas. And they’ve got challenges with drugs and alcohol, depression, suicide, poverty."
The reserves might well be extreme places produced by extreme laws that produce extreme outcomes, my knowledge of Aussie history and the politics of how this new majority of white people treated aborigines as they changed the country is scant. But why are there problems in urban areas? Here are some conclusions:

• The findings indicate that direct and persistent vicarious racial discrimination are detrimental to the physical and mental health of Indigenous children in Australia [3]
  • In a survey[4] of mental health impacts of racial discrimination in Victorian Aboriginal communities, it was found that "92% were called racist names, teased or heard jokes or comments that relied on stereotypes about Aboriginal people". These people responding are aborigines like you claim to be. They seem to remember these jokes and comments over the last year. This might indicate that these words bother at least some people, as I certainly don't remember all conversations from the last year unless they had some impact on me
  • Now, those are possibly only empty words and can be easily ignored. However, again from [4]: "66% were told that they did not belong because of their race." That's something that I suspect even you would accept is not deflected purely by mental fortitude. One possible reaction from being indigenous, but being told by others who assume they have power over you (and socially, economically, politically and culturally might well do -- I defer to aboriginal voices on whether any individuals feels this way), is the very emotionally potent reaction of shame. My people were here first, but now we are told we don't belong. Being strong helps here, yes. Disagreeing helps here, yes. Knowing that person is a piece of shit helps here, yes. But I feel that being told this regularly, and believing it, explains some of what Des mentioned above. That kind of treatment and the result of shame is known to be a trigger for mental health problems.
  • Yeah, so what? Let''s tough it out. I do belong here. Well... "People who experienced the most racism also recorded the most severe psychological distress scores." Also, "Two-thirds of those who experienced 12 or more incidents of racism reported high or very high psychological distress scores. This suggests that every incident of racism that is prevented can help reduce the risk of a person developing mental illnesses such as anxiety or depression." And, "More than 70% worried at least a few times a month that their family and friends would be victims of racism."[4]

So, huh, maybe I am wrong for thinking that aborigines are so weak that words will send an individual aborigine into a tailspin. Maybe that does make me a bigot. But, looking at the facts I have at hand, it seems that words do affect at least some individual aborigines.
And, bad news for this game: “79% of the sample avoided situations where they predicted that racism would take place. This suggests that experiences of racist incidents may have been even higher than reported if people did not avoid these situations.”[4] If targeted racism against aborigines happened in Mordhau, it’s more than possible that some would react by avoiding the game. Of course, right now the racism I see in Europe is more Americanised, but hey, we could conduct a test. Send a sample of people who mention that they have an aborigine ethnic background onto servers around the world. Maybe on the servers where Aussie people play, in particular, some targeted racism would come back.

I think that goes some way to showing that my concerns are founded. Of course, you’re an Australian aborigine, and you know a lot about the situation, so you could give me other explanations for why statistics show that aborigines are on average poorer, less healthy, more affected by mental health issues including substance abuse, perform less well in education and make less money as an adult through jobs. Maybe you think the aborigines producing lower numbers and reducing those statistics are just lazy and need to be stronger. Or maybe, as repeated studies show, racism really does have an effect on people. After all, around the world, groups who experience racism show remarkably similar statistical trends.

[1] https://aifs.gov.au/cfca/publications/child-abuse-and-neglect-indigenous-australian-communities
[2] https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/aboriginal-population-in-australia
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5496226/
[4] https://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/-/media/ResourceCentre/PublicationsandResources/Discrimination/Mental-health-impacts_racial-discrim_Indigenous.pdf?la=en&hash=AE2B376D4497D0D0C8F8B6EFEF03E33763328FA8

39 21
  • 31 May
 Beefenstein

@smellycathawk said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

Australia is a left wing hellhole

I'm not sure. I believe Australia is stricter on immigration than any other western country, at least those that I can think of. I mean, the whole 'Stolen Generation' situation shows a strong antipathy for non-white communities.

39 21
  • 31 May
 Beefenstein

@Botas said:
Nothing, this doesn't fit your narrative... you are probably suffering from cognitive dissonance after you read this.

Sorry mate, but I actually have a degree in Psychology. I can give a better example of information causing cognitive dissonance:

• One person claiming to be a member of a group says something. It says something the reader likes, so they believe it to be very, very potent information.
  • Another person posts statistical information gathered from large samples of aborigines. It says something the reader doesn't like, so they feel uncomfortable.

The outcome of this cognitive discomfort (cf. Festinger and his research into cults) would be most likely for the reader to rationalise that statistical information as being faulty information in some way ("you know those left-wing scientists with their biases...").

The study of cognitive biases is indeed fascinating. A possible sign of biases being active is a person preferring anecdotal data over data collected from a large sample.