Mordhau

Bigotry in chat is out of hand

39 21

I live in the UK and am a white third-generation immigrant. I've experienced the tiniest amount of racism because of my background. It's not nice, and I avoid people who do it.

I can imagine that, if I were gay, non-white, Jewish, or a member of another minority who people make 'jokes' about through bigoted language, I'd feel unable to enjoy playing this game with chat on. I see casual use of language targeted against such groups in about half of Frontline games, and in about half of those games such people gang up together to be rude to people who say such language is unacceptable.
I do accept that turning chat off is a viable option as it does pretty much nothing to improve gameplay, but I don't expect every player of this game (whatever their age) to be mature enough to do this. The experience of being attacked for disagreeing with the use of exclusionary language is something that could definitely turn people off.

So, for the good of the game, I think this is something worth looking at, thanks.

P.S. I know this post will receive a reply of "Hey there are like 28 other sad cuck threads we don't need another one. Go complain with them." I thought you guys were all for freedom of speech?

534 286
  • 3
  • 29 May
 Gambit

Hey there are like 28 other sad cuck threads we don't need another one. Go complain with them.

Knight 7660 14051
  • 29 May
 ToLazy4Name

This is bait

39 21
  • 29 May
 Beefenstein

@ToLazy4Name said:
This is bait

I don't think I grasp your use of the word 'bait'. I made a point based on personal experience in a public forum. I'm not expecting any more replies on this, I know it's been done to death -- I just want the devs to know that this really is a problem for multiple people of all kinds of backgrounds. I have no particular reason, as a white guy, to speak out about it. I just don't think it's healthy for the game, as in the end when playing this game online you're going to experience the overall community that plays it.

I guess this is 'bait' in the sense that it's a forum thread about a topic that you feel is controversial. That, my friend, is a feature of your own perspective, please don't take that out on me.

Knight 7660 14051
  • 29 May
 ToLazy4Name

Really good bait as well

39 21
  • 29 May
 Beefenstein

@ToLazy4Name said:
Really good bait as well

Thanks.

Knight 100 370
  • 29 May
 McMercy

I'll bite on your hook then because I know there is people on this godforsaken forum who unironicly think this is an issue.

Why in the fucking world is you being a white third-generation immigrant relevant? How the fuck do you manage to experience racism ingame because of this? Do you announce yourself as an immigrant every time you join a server?

1405 1475

It's already against the rules on official servers:
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/14506/mordhau-official-server-rules

Just not enforced at all.

39 21
  • 29 May
 Beefenstein

@McMercy said:
Why in the fucking world is you being a white third-generation immigrant relevant?

I know someone who served in the army. They saw X, Y and Z bad things happen. When you and I are around this friend, they are upset by loud noises near their head. You laugh at them for it. I tell you about their past.

You: Why in the fucking world is them having been in the army relevant?

Knight 100 370
  • 29 May
 McMercy

I've experienced the tiniest amount of racism because of my background

You personally have experienced racism because of your background. How in the fucking world is this possible unless you announce your background in the chat

Knight 7660 14051
  • 29 May
 ToLazy4Name

@Beefenstein said:

@McMercy said:
Why in the fucking world is you being a white third-generation immigrant relevant?

I know someone who served in the army. They saw X, Y and Z bad things happen. When you and I are around this friend, they are upset by loud noises near their head. You laugh at them for it. I tell you about their past.

You: Why in the fucking world is them having been in the army relevant?

MASSIVE bait

39 21
  • 29 May
 Beefenstein

@McMercy said:
You personally have experienced racism because of your background. How in the fucking world is this possible unless you announce your background in the chat

You're making an assumption here.

39 21
  • 29 May
 Beefenstein

@ToLazy4Name said:
MASSIVE bait

Thanks.

62 153

I only make bigoted comments about players who beat me. And the Welsh.

4 6

Jews are white retard!

Duke 17 18
  • 3
  • 29 May
 Ligeia

@Beefenstein said:
I live in the UK and the bigotry in chat is out of hand.

Neat. Write a blog about it. Why is it always dorks from the UK trying to censor people because of their fragile sensibilities?

@Beefenstein said:
I do accept that turning chat off is a viable option

Problem solved then. What's the issue?

@Beefenstein said:
but I don't expect every player of this game (whatever their age) to be mature enough to do this.

That sounds like a personal problem.

@Beefenstein said:
So, for the good of the game, I think this is something worth looking at, thanks.

Looked at. Nah thanks.

@Beefenstein said:
P.S. I know this post will receive a reply of "Hey there are like 28 other sad cuck threads we don't need another one. Go complain with them." I thought you guys were all for freedom of speech?

Check this dork out trying for a "GOTCHA!" moment while simultaneously complaining about the very thing he's trying to get over on other people. It really is a small wonder the UK is in its current shape.

P.S. You wouldn't know freedom of speech or any "flavour" of freedom if it suffocated you with an American flag, nerd. Stay mad forever.

534 286
  • 29 May
 Gambit

@Ligeia said:

@Beefenstein said:
I live in the UK and the bigotry in chat is out of hand.

Neat. Write a blog about it. Why is it always dorks from the UK trying to censor people because of their fragile sensibilities?

@Beefenstein said:
I do accept that turning chat off is a viable option

Problem solved then. What's the issue?

@Beefenstein said:
but I don't expect every player of this game (whatever their age) to be mature enough to do this.

That sounds like a personal problem.

@Beefenstein said:
So, for the good of the game, I think this is something worth looking at, thanks.

Looked at. Nah thanks.

@Beefenstein said:
P.S. I know this post will receive a reply of "Hey there are like 28 other sad cuck threads we don't need another one. Go complain with them." I thought you guys were all for freedom of speech?

Check this dork out trying for a "GOTCHA!" moment while simultaneously complaining about the very thing he's trying to get over on other people. It really is a small wonder the UK is in its current shape.

P.S. You wouldn't know freedom of speech or any "flavour" of freedom if it suffocated you with an American flag, nerd. Stay mad forever.

OP is gonna love this.

39 21
  • 29 May
 Beefenstein

@Gambit said:
OP is gonna love this.

Huh, I just found it stereotypical.

Duke 17 18
  • 29 May
 Ligeia

You can't stereotype! That's offensive! Do you have a loicense to stereotype others?