Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Long delay between mouse click and weapon action

2 1
  • 27 May '19
 Corialli

At first, I thought I was just doing something wrong because I suck. However, it has become apparent that there is something going on with the responsiveness of my actions.

About 10% of the times that I click the attack button, my guy doesn't attack, just stands there and holds the weapon. Another 50% of the time, I click the attack button and my guy finally swings 3 - 5 seconds later.

Is there a way I can fix this, or am I doing something wrong?

Knight 6 1
  • 28 May '19
 torakfade

It happened to me too! I thought it was me being bad, but maybe if it's a common problem it might be a bug.

My ping is usually 60 to 80 so I don't think it's that, attack "delays" can be of over 1 second, and some clicks just don't register at all

111 97
  • 28 May '19
 BOBOLOJOE

I have this problem sometimes with stabs more often than swings.

I thought maybe it was my mouse wheel?

I thought maybe it was me trying to stab again too soon after another attack during the recovery period but lately i notice it happens on my first attack or long after recovery

I will pay more attention and try and get some evidence of this

3 0
  • 28 May '19
 Guntharluv

Same for me it happens like once every few minutes I am not able to attack for multiple seconds, I had a case were a halberd stabbed me 3 times and missed before I could attack, I was full stamina and not in recovery mode.

What I have noticed:

  • It is not network related because it also happens in local match against bots.
  • I doubt it is cpu overload as my cpu is around 15-20% in 24 slots duel servers.
  • It never happens after I just launched the game but after a certain period of time the game start refusing input. Like I can't even change weapon unless I release all my keys.

My guess is the game is keeping a modifier key pressed that is not and is refusing input after that, some sort of ghosting no idea how to call that.

3 0
  • 28 May '19
 Rymr

Try disabling the option "Angle attack after press" and see if that helps.
It can be found in the "controls" settings tab.

3 0
  • 28 May '19
 Guntharluv

@Rymr said:
Try disabling the option "Angle attack after press" and see if that helps.
It can be found in the "controls" settings tab.

I don't use it personally but I tried activating/deactiving the different control options with no sucesss. I also removed all the useless
keys in the controls to make sure an action is not activated by mistake.

96 128
  • 28 May '19
 Reapy

Maybe you are in hit stun?

When you get attacked you can't attack right back, but you can parry.

Another option is double binds. I had an issue binding my mouse thumb to thrust because the button was doing another attack. The thrust would eventually go out but it was very odd behavior, I think I was actually morphing 24x7 on thrust because it was a strike bound to the thumb button too.

The game doesn't report 100% of conflicting binds, just shows one of the many when it warns you. I went ahead for safety and just unbound everything I wasn't using so I knew what I was getting, so could possibly be that too.

Knight 399 873
  • 1
  • 28 May '19
 Alphonse

I'd say most of these issues are just placebos (you tried to do an attack at the wrong time sort of thing), but sometimes there might be some technical problem going on.

In game, open the console. Type "stat fps" while in a match (preferably with lots of opponents). If the number on the second line is above 16 ms or it jumps around a lot, you're experiencing input lag. Depending on how severe it is, it may explain why you feel this happens to you more often than not.

Or it could just be a hardware issue. After 2300 hs in Chivalry I went through many expensive gaming mice. I did graphic design and played other games with those same faulty mice, but the issue only became more apparent in Chivalry because you tend to move your mouse more and do more aggressive inputs (basically drags).

To discard this possibility, try using a different mouse for more than 30 minutes. If you play for an hour with a different mouse and you never register the issue, then it's definitely something wrong with your other mouse.

It could be a faulty cable. The plastic that makes contact with the clicker could be worn out. The metal spring on the click switch could be worn out. It could be a faulty or dirty mouse wheel. Etc. Etc.

If you only have one and it's such a fancy brand you trust it after 4 years of heavy use, check if it has any software and that the polling rate is at the highest setting.

Open MS Paint and click and drag, click and drag, etc. and check if it misses any clicks. If it only happens with your scroll wheel check any scroll wheel test. In Win10 there's a "mouse wheel test" app which let's you see how well the system registers your inputs.

2 1
  • 28 May '19
 Corialli

Thank you for the replies, I will try some things out. The hit stun would make sense, except I am experiencing the issue after a parry as well.

I will give the game some play with the "stat fps" command, then come back with the results.

3 0
  • 29 May '19
 Rymr

@Corialli said:
Thank you for the replies, I will try some things out. The hit stun would make sense, except I am experiencing the issue after a parry as well.

I will give the game some play with the "stat fps" command, then come back with the results.

Parrying makes you unable to act for a while if noone hits you while you press it. It's a balance mechanic to dissuade parry spamming.

7 2
  • 29 May '19
 Ryse Slade

I have the same happening to me once in a while. After fighting I move on and suddenly a strike is executed without clicking any button. Even happens after dying sometimes. I respawn, start sprinting and suddenly a strike is executed. Looks like some kind of attack queue is not cleared.

185 205
  • 29 May '19
 Roag

Yeh I believe this is a bug in the game, myself and friends regularly get random attacks (normally a stab) without input, I also find my parry sometimes activates itself without input. Have tried 3 different mice and I'm not the only one getting these.

1315 2881
  • 29 May '19
 Monsteri

Input started getting wonky around some of the post-release patches. I'll randomly FTP my ripostes and indeed, attacks sometimes don't input like they should, but this is not nearly as common for me as you describe. You're probably having both legitimate issues and placebo issues with intentional game mechanics.

6 2
  • 1
  • 24 Oct '19
 Eclipse

I have been having this problem also. I will successfully parry an attack, and when I try to counterattack, nothing happens. No riposte, no parry then attack, I just parry and then stand there like a stupid donkey for several seconds even though I'm clicking furiously to attack. Nothing else is happening - I'm not being hit, so it isn't hit-stun, I'm not being bumped by a horse, because there is no one else around. I didn't miss the parry, it connected. But quite often I just end up standing there unable to attack, so the opponent just attacks again, and I have to parry. Sometimes it all works fine, then I'll be fighting someone and I can't attack back after a parry. Then it will be fine again.
There is definitely something buggy going on.

7 2
  • 28 Dec '19
 IYISpoylerBG

This is not parry preventing block animation. This is lack of developers to morph animation sequences . Dont believe of this bullshits. They cannot morph parry to random animation and they lie that they lock every animation after parry. This is not input lag guys. I tested it. The true is that Triternion are nothink more than money grabbers.

46 9
  • 31 Dec '19
 StrykerMontgomery

@Eclipse said:
I have been having this problem also. I will successfully parry an attack, and when I try to counterattack, nothing happens. No riposte, no parry then attack, I just parry and then stand there like a stupid donkey for several seconds even though I'm clicking furiously to attack. Nothing else is happening - I'm not being hit, so it isn't hit-stun, I'm not being bumped by a horse, because there is no one else around. I didn't miss the parry, it connected. But quite often I just end up standing there unable to attack, so the opponent just attacks again, and I have to parry. Sometimes it all works fine, then I'll be fighting someone and I can't attack back after a parry. Then it will be fine again.
There is definitely something buggy going on.

I got real bugs like dead space alien ragdolls and crashing at hour long match right before we win.

I have had no input problems. When you have a problem is it specifically chaining a parry into an attack or just starting an attack whenever?

When i riposte, i input attack (try holding instead of rapidly clicking if single click is not working) right before they impact my parry. That triggers the riposte, not after the parry. But attacking after parry should ve fine too. Is Vsync on?

Knight 3313 6811
  • 31 Dec '19
 Bodkin

@IYISpoylerBG said:
This is not parry preventing block animation. This is lack of developers to morph animation sequences . Dont believe of this bullshits. They cannot morph parry to random animation and they lie that they lock every animation after parry. This is not input lag guys. I tested it. The true is that Triternion are nothink more than money grabbers.

The fuck