Mordhau

Mordhau Global Statistics Website - Players/Server counter by map/mode/region/country

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

I wanted a way to see what's popular in the community in order to make decisions on where to create servers and what maps/modes to choose from. So this morning I came up with this

https://mordhau.nx.ie/stats

Included stats

• Online player count by gamemode/map/region/country
  • Server count by max players, to see which sizes are most popular
  • Active server count by max players (servers with more than 1 player online)
  • Servers by region/OS (windows/linux)/Country
  • Active servers by region/OS/Country

A fun fact that came out of this was that there is almost 3 times as many windows servers than Linux. But linux takes the majority in terms of active servers.
Also, 6 slot servers are the most popular. Would not have guessed that.

The design is currently shit, and I might have messed up somewhere in the aggregation, but I will work on it more when I get a chance.

Also the data is updated every 20 mins, and below is an example of one of the pie charts.

Screen+Shot+2019-05-28+at+03.54.14.png

1757 1412
  • 27 May
 Rergato

Skirmish is the only good gamemode. Anything else, you’re not a real Mordhauer.

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

@Rergato said:

I'm not good yet so I haven't tried it properly. If competitive mode ever came out, that's the mode it would need to be for sure though.

156 130

So most of the players are using Windows, no surprise there. But most of the SERVERS are run by Lenux users?

How? :o

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

@alonesilverwolf said:
So most of the players are using Windows, no surprise there. But most of the SERVERS are run by Lenux users?

How? :o

All players are using windows. Those 2 stats are specific to what the servers are running on. I presume the reason there is more inactive windows servers is because of people setting them up locally and/or inexperienced people are more likely to setup a windows server. I'd say all of the official servers are on linux too.

64 34
  • 27 May
 Crumly

well my guess that TDM was not popular at all is sadly true looks like.

399 593
  • 27 May
 smug

@Gambit said:

@Rergato said:

I'm not good yet so I haven't tried it properly. If competitive mode ever came out, that's the mode it would need to be for sure though.

Ah yes the best choice for ranked mode would obviously be one of the LEAST played modes. LTS/Skirmish wasn't as fun as it could be in Chiv and it isn't in Mordhau, because the devs/comp scene don't want to improve it.

Look at the fucking stats for fucks sake. A BROKEN Horde mode is more popular than fucking Skirmish, a mode that people are actually proposing be the face of competitive Mordhau. A better choice would be Frontline, or a small scale objective mode aka team objective which they left out because they didn't want to make the maps for it. Which is weird because it has always been the most played mode in Chivalry throughout it's entire lifespan. Frontline was supposed to be the replacement, but we all know its a WORSE mode.

Duel is the obvious choice, but pushing a 1v1 mode when 1v1 games are either dying or extremely niche is retarded.

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

@smug said:

@Gambit said:

@Rergato said:

Ah yes the best choice for ranked mode would obviously be one of the LEAST played modes. LTS/Skirmish wasn't as fun as it could be in Chiv and it isn't in Mordhau, because the devs/comp scene don't want to improve it.

Look at the fucking stats for fucks sake. A BROKEN Horde mode is more popular than fucking Skirmish, a mode that people are actually proposing be the face of competitive Mordhau. A better choice would be Frontline, or a small scale objective mode aka team objective which they left out because they didn't want to make the maps for it. Which is weird because it has always been the most played mode in Chivalry throughout it's entire lifespan. Frontline was supposed to be the replacement, but we all know its a WORSE mode.

Duel is the obvious choice, but pushing a 1v1 mode when 1v1 games are either dying or extremely niche is retarded.

Why are you so triggered? It's a similar format to tons of esports and makes complete sense. Just because it isn't popular doesn't mean it's not the most balanced mode.

399 593
  • 27 May
 smug

@Gambit said:

@smug said:

@Gambit said:

@Rergato said:

Why are you so triggered? It's a similar format to tons of esports and makes complete sense. Just because it isn't popular doesn't mean it's not the most balanced mode.

Because it mirrors TF2 where the most balanced and skilled game mode was also the least popular, and people were too stubborn to push what was more massively popular which was highlander. 6s vs Highlander is a debate which pretty much killed competitive tf2. When valve introduced ranked 6v6 for tf2 nobody fucking cared at all and the same will likely happen in Mordhau depending on how long they wait to release "lul ranked 5v5 SKIRM".

You can't deny the statistics people do not find Skirmish fun otherwise it would be more represented just like how frontline is. LTS/Skirm has always been a flawed game mode that plays like a worse Counterstrike, because Counterstrike evolved the mode from it's origins which was Clan Arena in Quake by adding objectives which deepen the strategic aspect of the format which is completely lacking in Mord/Chiv/Quake Clan Arena.

If your goal is to convert people into being competitive Mordhau players you aren't going to achieve that by pushing a mode that is statistically shown to be one of the least popular modes. You don't see the argument being made for TDM/Battle Royale comp because LTS/Skirm has a competitive tradition of being played in the Chiv scene despite it being a fucking awful mode. This is a new game and we should strive for something better not the status quo of a game that's always had a dead competitive scene no matter when you want to examine it.

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

@smug said:

@Gambit said:

@smug said:

@Gambit said:

@Rergato said:

Because it mirrors TF2 where the most balanced and skilled game mode was also the least popular, and people were too stubborn to push what was more massively popular which was highlander. 6s vs Highlander is a debate which pretty much killed competitive tf2. When valve introduced ranked 6v6 for tf2 nobody fucking cared at all and the same will likely happen in Mordhau depending on how long they wait to release "lul ranked 5v5 SKIRM".

You can't deny the statistics people do not find Skirmish fun otherwise it would be more represented just like how frontline is. LTS/Skirm has always been a flawed game mode that plays like a worse Counterstrike, because Counterstrike evolved the mode from it's origins which was Clan Arena in Quake by adding objectives which deepen the strategic aspect of the format which is completely lacking in Mord/Chiv/Quake Clan Arena.

If your goal is to convert people into being competitive Mordhau players you aren't going to achieve that by pushing a mode that is statistically shown to be one of the least popular modes. You don't see the argument being made for TDM/Battle Royale comp because LTS/Skirm has a competitive tradition of being played in the Chiv scene despite it being a fucking awful mode. This is a new game and we should strive for something better not the status quo of a game that's always had a dead competitive scene no matter when you want to examine it.

I don't have a goal. You hijacked my thread because of a reply I made in passing. Go piss on some other part of the forum.

399 593
  • 27 May
 smug

@Gambit said:

@smug said:

@Gambit said:

@smug said:

@Gambit said:

@Rergato said:

I don't have a goal. You hijacked my thread because of a reply I made in passing. Go piss on some other part of the forum.

Sorry I hurt your feelings but the thread was already discussing the popularity of certain modes anyway I didn't hijack the thread in any manner.

529 280

Holy CRAP, more people are playing deathmatch than frontline? >_> And hardly anyone playing tourny map? i dont believe those statistics =|

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

@Christian2222 said:
Holy CRAP, more people are playing deathmatch than frontline? >_> And hardly anyone playing tourny map? i dont believe those statistics =|

I don't think it's that surprising, duels is super popular. I'll try get a way to differentiate duels from deathmatch and it should be clearer.

96 128
  • 27 May
 Reapy

Deathmatch = duel.

534 286
  • 27 May
 Gambit

Ok I've added detection for duels. Can't promise it'll be 100% accurate, as it has to detect it in the name. But it should be pretty spot on. Duels takes the lead with frontline only a little behind now.

Knight 693 1593
  • 28 May
 das

In case anyone is wondering, BR isn't showing up because you can't find official BR servers through browser anymore.

Duel is showing up to be REALLY popular. 1v1 mode should be top priority after the new maps release/worked on concurrently (I'm guessing these are "different departments" so to speak, and that creating duel maps is just days worth of work compared to Frontline/Siege maps that take months) so we can finally nolife a ladder/improve fastest by playing people near our skill level rather than learn nothing either stomping 30 - 0 or getting milked as a new player by alpha testers without knowing wtf just happened.

Competitive Mordhau is in its awkward adolescent stage because it wasn't designed as a duel-centric or strict-format 5v5 game or anything like that, so its defining comp mode is up for grabs.

TF2's history with competitive play is... long and complicated. 5CP is a very flawed mode that encourages hard turtling after the midfight if you don't have a severe numbers or uber advantage or something of that sort. People often play unoptimally and aggressively because it's just way more fun that way, but if you were playing to win, 5CP gets really slow and stupid quite often. A/D like Gravelpit has the same problem as Chiv TO and Overwatch's non-KOTH modes: less fun to watch, more stressful psychologically for the team that has to play catch-up/speedrun, a lot less dynamic especially in regards to pacing. The incredible imbalances of TF2 at launch have necessitated the need for class limits like 1demo 1medic, and it hasn't gotten better in the past nearly 12 years lol. All the unlockables that would make less used classes often serve to make the game even slower, less fun, less skillful, and more stalematey. Spy had a chance to be as viable as Scout by fulfilling a weird mid-range McCree-ish role when Deadringer + Amby first came out, but it was honestly a kind of stupid playstyle that completely went against the class's core design so Valve nerfed it after like two days lol.

As far as pubbing goes, TO is indeed quite a good and beloved mode. Competitively, it was far from perfect. There were a lot of times you'd just know the game was over even though you just won a teamfight and are pushing the cart because lol not enough time left, dumb from both a playing and spectatorship point of view. Speedrun/time attack comparison game modes in general have this problem. This is different from other taking-turn modes like Counter-Strike or Rainbow Siege siege rounds. Whether your team plays aggressively or methodically, it's ultimately about winning the rounds, and there's always an opportunity to comeback (and hell, it's happened - my brother lost a lot of money betting on Hellraisers, who won 14 - 1 on CT side Nuke, only to lose 16 rounds in a row). There is a guaranteed finale and playing-to-the-end, and teams always feel like there's a chance to come back.

There's still hope for "esports" Mordhau though, even if gamemode hasn't been settled. But it will NOT be skirmish simply because it's so boring to watch and gets stale to play (zero strategy). 2v2 and 3v3 skm would be completely fine as auxiliary competitive modes though.

Counter-Strike took a while to settle on the competitive mode we know today. de maps weren't even a thing at the very start, instead it had cs and some weird escape maps. The very first de and, tbh, vast majority of official de maps were terrible imbalanced: dust, foption, aztec, cbble, nuke, rotterdam, storm, torn, train, and so many more. Inferno was an excellently balanced map, Dust2 is slightly imba but fun enough that teams for the most part didn't mind. But it was ultimately the community (e.g. CPL making cplmill/tuscan, mirage, and cpl_fire and stuff) that had to make the balanced de maps. But even before these maps, the format itself had to be settled. CS experimented a lot with cs maps, 6v6-8v8, 12 rounds per half, really short warmup times, and other shenanigans. Mordhau has to go through these growing pains too. I think it will find its own de equivalent, hopefully without needing arbitrary archer and loadout limitations.

534 286
  • 28 May
 Gambit

@das said:
In case anyone is wondering, BR isn't showing up because you can't find official BR servers through browser anymore.

Duel is showing up to be REALLY popular. 1v1 mode should be top priority after the new maps release/worked on concurrently (I'm guessing these are "different departments" so to speak, and that creating duel maps is just days worth of work compared to Frontline/Siege maps that take months) so we can finally nolife a ladder/improve fastest by playing people near our skill level rather than learn nothing either stomping 30 - 0 or getting milked as a new player by alpha testers without knowing wtf just happened.

Competitive Mordhau is in its awkward adolescent stage because it wasn't designed as a duel-centric or strict-format 5v5 game or anything like that, so its defining comp mode is up for grabs.

TF2's history with competitive play is... long and complicated. 5CP is a very flawed mode that encourages hard turtling after the midfight if you don't have a severe numbers or uber advantage or something of that sort. People often play unoptimally and aggressively because it's just way more fun that way, but if you were playing to win, 5CP gets really slow and stupid quite often. A/D like Gravelpit has the same problem as Chiv TO and Overwatch's non-KOTH modes: less fun to watch, more stressful psychologically for the team that has to play catch-up/speedrun, a lot less dynamic especially in regards to pacing. The incredible imbalances of TF2 at launch have necessitated the need for class limits like 1demo 1medic, and it hasn't gotten better in the past nearly 12 years lol. All the unlockables that would make less used classes often serve to make the game even slower, less fun, less skillful, and more stalematey. Spy had a chance to be as viable as Scout by fulfilling a weird mid-range McCree-ish role when Deadringer + Amby first came out, but it was honestly a kind of stupid playstyle that completely went against the class's core design so Valve nerfed it after like two days lol.

As far as pubbing goes, TO is indeed quite a good and beloved mode. Competitively, it was far from perfect. There were a lot of times you'd just know the game was over even though you just won a teamfight and are pushing the cart because lol not enough time left, dumb from both a playing and spectatorship point of view. Speedrun/time attack comparison game modes in general have this problem. This is different from other taking-turn modes like Counter-Strike or Rainbow Siege siege rounds. Whether your team plays aggressively or methodically, it's ultimately about winning the rounds, and there's always an opportunity to comeback (and hell, it's happened - my brother lost a lot of money betting on Hellraisers, who won 14 - 1 on CT side Nuke, only to lose 16 rounds in a row). There is a guaranteed finale and playing-to-the-end, and teams always feel like there's a chance to come back.

There's still hope for "esports" Mordhau though, even if gamemode hasn't been settled. But it will NOT be skirmish simply because it's so boring to watch and gets stale to play (zero strategy). 2v2 and 3v3 skm would be completely fine as auxiliary competitive modes though.

Counter-Strike took a while to settle on the competitive mode we know today. de maps weren't even a thing at the very start, instead it had cs and some weird escape maps. The very first de and, tbh, vast majority of official de maps were terrible imbalanced: dust, foption, aztec, cbble, nuke, rotterdam, storm, torn, train, and so many more. Inferno was an excellently balanced map, Dust2 is slightly imba but fun enough that teams for the most part didn't mind. But it was ultimately the community (e.g. CPL making cplmill/tuscan, mirage, and cpl_fire and stuff) that had to make the balanced de maps. But even before these maps, the format itself had to be settled. CS experimented a lot with cs maps, 6v6-8v8, 12 rounds per half, really short warmup times, and other shenanigans. Mordhau has to go through these growing pains too. I think it will find its own de equivalent, hopefully without needing arbitrary archer and loadout limitations.

BR servers are actually being displayed, I'm using the Steam API so I think everything is listed. There's 261 BR players online at the moment.

I thought this would happen and I'm a retard. I wasn't parsing the gametype for a lot of the servers, so data wasn't being saved for some game modes properly. I've deployed a fix and Frontline is clearly the leading game mode now. Sorry for misleading anyone, I'm going to test it thoroughly in the morning and make sure its displaying the correct stats. I'm fairly sure it is displaying accurately now though.

529 280

It's weird because the game mechanics for 1v1 are really lacking. The game revolving around group play feels more fitting.
But it's weird because you would just think more players were playing frontline.

534 286
  • 28 May
 Gambit

@Christian2222 said:
It's weird because the game mechanics for 1v1 are really lacking. The game revolving around group play feels more fitting.
But it's weird because you would just think more players were playing frontline.

I screwed up. Frontline is the most popular. Read my last post, apologies.

399 593
  • 28 May
 smug

@Christian2222 said:

Duel is the easiest mode to get better in hence people will join duel servers with the intent on improving mechanics. Whether or not they will actually play a ranked 1v1 Duel mode is another story. Once you introduce any sort of high stakes most people won't be able to handle the stress this is a trend thats been happening with videogame players for almost 10 years now. Atleast with team modes they can use teammates as scapegoats and not have to take accountability for failure. Fucking around in a duel server is not equivalent to what an actual ranked 1v1 duel environment would entail.

The updated graphs make a lot more sense.