Mordhau

Website is slower

Knight 644 985
  • 26 May
 VampireDuck

I'm not sure exactly when this started but I'm pretty sure it was around the time of Mordhau's release that the website started getting slower for me. It's not so much loading topics but more when I press the like button or press "Who liked it" on a post it often takes 2 to 5 seconds for anything to appear. Today I have also experienced 3 "503" errors, 1 which was a few seconds after I got back on the site after the previous. The slowness and errors seem sporadic as sometimes a post I liked gets liked instantly but its more often that it takes a while.

Judging by the amount of users online it doesn't seem like it would be too many for the servers to handle and to my knowledge nothing has been changed about my internet recently.

528 282
  • 27 May
 Gambit

I imagine this is just related to the surge in popularity and the servers not scaling properly.

Quote from w3.org about 503 errors
"The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server."

I've gotten these errors too and noticed it being slow sometimes, but it doesn't happen too often at least.

30 20
 FΞNIX

I suppose the website is hosted locally in a potato pc and mediocre bandwidth, defenitely not a dedicated hosting service.

528 282
  • 4 Aug
 Gambit

@FΞNIX said:
I suppose the website is hosted locally in a potato pc and mediocre bandwidth, defenitely not a dedicated hosting service.

That's quite a silly statement.

30 20
  • 6 Aug
 FΞNIX

@Gambit said:

@FΞNIX said:

Can you please state why ? Enlighten me.

528 282
  • 6 Aug
 Gambit

@FΞNIX said:

@Gambit said:

@FΞNIX said:

I didn't think I'd actually need to, but I suppose you need a bit of a hand.

• site is behind a CDN. Clear indication of some knowledge.
  • as far as I'm aware it's using nginx on a Linux system. Also a sign of a competent sysadmin
  • behind a CDN, the bandwith required to run a website like this would be tiny. We're talking 2mbps. The errors displayed also do not indicate issues with bandwidth.
  • dedicated hosting for an international website wouldn't make sense, it should be in the cloud.
  • the idea that at a medium sized company would host themselves is retarded. That's only for extremely poor people or extremely rich
  • a potatoe pc would actually run a website quite well. The machines I use to host websites always have 1gb of ram or less and only utilise one core.

Is that enough?

1333 1382

It's probably an Arduino hidden in a Starbucks leeching off the free wifi.

30 20
 FΞNIX

@Gambit said:

@FΞNIX said:

@Gambit said:

@FΞNIX said:

• as far as I'm aware it's using nginx on a Linux system. Also a sign of a competent sysadmin
  • behind a CDN, the bandwith required to run a website like this would be tiny. We're talking 2mbps. The errors displayed also do not indicate issues with bandwidth.
  • dedicated hosting for an international website wouldn't make sense, it should be in the cloud.
  • the idea that at a medium sized company would host themselves is retarded. That's only for extremely poor people or extremely rich
  • a potatoe pc would actually run a website quite well. The machines I use to host websites always have 1gb of ram or less and only utilise one core.

Is that enough?

Thanks for the explanation, but i still think badwidth/machine hardware does matter when website is on mid-high load, and of course a potato pc will just work if you're working locally or very few users access it.

millions of people use nginx and of course its gonna be a lunix based system, but why is mordhau's forum is the only slow cdn ?

528 282
 Gambit

@FΞNIX said:

@Gambit said:

@FΞNIX said:

@Gambit said:

@FΞNIX said:

Is that enough?

Thanks for the explanation, but i still think badwidth/machine hardware does matter when website is on mid-high load, and of course a potato pc will just work if you're working locally or very few users access it.

millions of people use nginx and of course its gonna be a lunix based system, but why is mordhau's forum is the only slow cdn ?

The website runs fine for me 99% of the time. When it doesn't work, it doesn't mean they're hosting it themselves. It means somewhere along the way its bottlenecking. It might even just be a throttle for a user making too many queries. If it's not a throttle, the site might be on a dedicated server, which nowadays isn't great and in the case of a surge in popularity it won't scale. Meaning too many database queries or reads from a redis server will bottleneck.
I have a feeling the site is on a dedi, so users in some locations will load assets fine (because of cloudflare) but the server response will depend on the ping and cloudflares routing to your destination from the server source.
I also doubt it's even in the mid-high load category most of the time. The forum probably gets 50 people on when its active. A static site could handle thousands of users on a 5-10 dollar server, but with the amount of relational queries and cache lookups for a forum, that is reduced dramatically. This site also renders templates on the server and not in the client, so that's another rather large factor.

Where are you based btw? I'm in the EU and things like making comments can take a bit of time, loading the forum index takes a little less time, but I have a feeling it's not an EU based server or else there isn't much caching so it needs to do a lot of lookups on each load.

UPDATE:
Had a poke around to see if i could figure out where it's hosted and if its a dedi. Because of the CDN it's hard to find the IP.
Historical DNS info shows 3 months ago it was on a Digital ocean server in the Netherlands. They currently have some subdomains pointed at DO too so I presume that is their main provider. Mail servers are also in Germany. DO doesn't offer much in terms of scaling as far as I'm aware, so if everything (database, cache and webserver) are hosted on a single dedi then it could easily break on a regular basis.
I'd say the slow loading is just down to the way the forum is built and how much work it has to do on each request. Also people outside of the EU will most likely get increased load times.

I have a signature