Mordhau

Rapier Spam

1 0

Rapier spam is very obviously a huge problem currently. Even if there are ways to combat it, it requires very little skill and results in very high reward most of the time. Basically you can get away with just stabbing over and over again until your opponent either runs out of stamina or slips up and gets brutally punished. It isn't fun to play against and it's a crutch for players who don't want to learn how to properly play the game. The purpose of this topic is to suggest ways that the rapier could be balanced while still keeping the weapon viable.

Knight 7577 13875
  • 25 May
 ToLazy4Name

no rapier needs a buff it's too weak

Knight 933 941
  • 25 May
 afiNity

rapier is good against noobs but thats it

4 1
  • 25 May
 phermitgb

@ScottishGolfEnthusiast said:
Rapier spam is very obviously a huge problem currently. Even if there are ways to combat it, it requires very little skill and results in very high reward most of the time. Basically you can get away with just stabbing over and over again until your opponent either runs out of stamina or slips up and gets brutally punished. It isn't fun to play against and it's a crutch for players who don't want to learn how to properly play the game. The purpose of this topic is to suggest ways that the rapier could be balanced while still keeping the weapon viable.

I'm not at all convinced that rapier spam is a problem at all, and even if it is, nothing I've seen convinces me that it's a HUGE problem.

Are rapier players annoying? sure. Is the reach and speed of rapiers annoying to play against? sure. Are they in any way more or less dangerous or annoying than mauls, spears, greatswords, etc, etc, etc? Not significantly.

Nearly everything in mordhau requires some measure of skill. Everything stabby still requires at least some capacity to time your strikes and aim a relatively small hit area into your opponent. I know, I've used all the stabby weapons, and I'm almost as good at missing as I am at hitting. Now, you can argue that I'm terrible...but clearly, using stabby weapons of any kind requires SOME skill, as evidenced by the fact that I lack a certain degree of skill to use them reliably all the time.

I have also successfully dodged stabby players - really good stabby players are harder (and more annoying) to dodge, but it can still be done - plus, of course, there are chambering options and feints and and and and and...

Now, I've had an equally annoying time countering...well, just about every other weapon in mordhau (except bows and xbows - for whatever reason, those have never particularly bothered me - they work almost exactly the way I expect them to). All the pole axes and two hand swords with their huge sweep areas, shields that are sooo wildly inconsistent to get around or past, people who have figured out how to do low swings which I still have trouble reading and avoiding, and so on and so forth. Rapiers are just another tool in the box. Long spears. Mauls. All of them - annoy me for a variety of reasons, but they all seem to have their reliable vulnerabilities as well - and rapiers are right up there with all the rest.

Now, would I cry bitter tears of sorrow if rapiers got some kind of adjustment in reach, or damage, or speed? no. Maybe, MAYBE...they are overperforming somehow. But even if they are - it's not by leaps and bounds. Rapiers are exactly as frustrating to deal with as every other weapon in Mordhau as far as I can tell, which in my estimation, makes them balanced. I may HATE rapiers particularly more than some other weapons, but my personal distaste for them doesn't inherently make them unbalanced.

And as for being a crutch - again, nothing about rapiers is particularly better or worse than any other weapon in the game, and your complaint that people need to learn to properly play the game seems silly. At least in front line, the way to properly play the game is to kill the opposition and take capture points. TDM and DM, I imagine the way to properly play the game is to kill people not on your team (meaning everyone else in DM of course). The ONLY place where you might have a cause to complain for people not playing properly might be on duel servers - since they're all privately hosted servers, the rules of engagement might be more specific there than anywhere else in mordhau, but as far as all the official game modes, rapiers are exactly as proper as every other weapon in the arsenal.

133 167
  • 25 May
 Atlas-D

is very obviously a huge problem

Knight 61 42
  • 25 May
 Optimates

I personally have no problem with shit players using an easy weapon that they think is good
if they want to get better, that's up to them.

Rapiers are shit. Low reach, weak and fast slashes giving no room for swing manipulation/dragging. 1H advantage is no more, using a shield is a death sentence since the nerf, I simply cannot agree with anything you are saying.

45 25
  • 25 May
 Digganob

Yeah I dunno man, spamming stabs is a a strat for noobs, and by noobs, it's cheese. Once you get to a certain point in skill, it becomes exceedingly easy to counter it. You can riposte, chamber-morph, kick if they facehug, really, it's not a big problem I don't think. There are much better weapons out there too. Bastard sword is basically a much better rapier but a little less speed. At higher levels, the bastard sword is much more well-rounded and versatile than the rapier.

It's like playing csgo and saying that SMGs are a problem, because it allows noobs to more easily do things, since you don't have to sit still while shooting. But when you are playing at a higher level, and you learn how to play better, you realize that SMGs are just worse rifles but with the added benefit of being able to move while shooting it accurately. That's the best analogy I can give.

If you're having trouble, remember, ripostes are good if they just keep coming, because no doubt your weapon can do more damage than their's. You can chamber-morph. This is extremely easy against stabs, and almost catches anyone off-guard, especially someone with such little experience and skill to be spamming a rapier. And finally, you can kick them if they facehug. Some simple enough counters for you there, they work wonders against cheap tactics like this.

They'll work even better once ranked comes out, because you won't be as easily caught off-guard in a 1v1 vs a chaotic frontline match.

Rapiers may be annoying, but they are most certainly not a problem. There are no doubt many games that have easy tactics like this that destroy inexperienced players who don't know much yet. Just get better at the game though, and they'll stop being as much of a problem.