Mordhau

Stab needs serious nerf

530 281
  • 24 May '19
 Christian2222

@KineticWolf said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
Just fucking chamber lmao

That forces a fairly boring style of gameplay, necessitating constant aggression over raw reading skill.

Nothing wrong with constant aggression, that is not whats wrong with it. We already have too much wait for the other guy to attack so you can parry -riposte, and go back and fourth that way ""combat""

78 46
  • 24 May '19
 Cheto

Stab weapons attack too fast, either they keep the speed and lower their damage or they keep the damage and lower the speed, they can't have both sorry.

Knight 7768 14309
  • 24 May '19
 ToLazy4Name

@Christian2222 said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

The point is you just get into a stab chamber war, back and fourth, then when you try to swing..... you get stabbed. There is no reason NOT to stab.

You need to be able to chamber stabs with a swing. It's not that stabs are OP it's that they are the meta.

When in doubt, stab.

"The problem with top players is they are also fanboys, and fanboys are blind to the truth, and don't see faults in anything." -Me

It's amazing how incorrect everything in this post is.

78 46
  • 24 May '19
 Cheto

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Christian2222 said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

The point is you just get into a stab chamber war, back and fourth, then when you try to swing..... you get stabbed. There is no reason NOT to stab.

You need to be able to chamber stabs with a swing. It's not that stabs are OP it's that they are the meta.

When in doubt, stab.

"The problem with top players is they are also fanboys, and fanboys are blind to the truth, and don't see faults in anything." -Me

It's amazing how incorrect everything in this post is.

It's amazing how in denial you are.

78 46
  • 24 May '19
 Cheto

Probably a stab fucking spammer.

Knight 7768 14309
  • 24 May '19
 ToLazy4Name

@Cheto said:

I just tested chamber morph accels with a maul vs a rapier. You can hit every single time. I don't know how to explain to you people that you're bad and i'm not.

1745 1783
  • 24 May '19
 SWSeriousMike

Maybe you should take a weapon that deals damage with swings and not a rapier or short spear if you feel that your only option is to stab.

48 27
  • 24 May '19
 Velindian

Honestly, my only problem is the drags doing max damage despite visually not being as impactful as the actual thrust part. I suggested a way to make stab dragging still useful as a mixup, but retain some degree of visual/mechanical consistency. Making the lingering tracer after the initial thrust have two sections after the initial thrusting motion. The shaft/blade and the point having separate tracers.

You can see the link to the forum post below, and it's probably the only change I think stabbing needs minus some per weapon startup balancing.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/16321/elegant-solution-to-stab-dragging/

Conscript 76 108
  • 24 May '19
 KineticWolf

@Christian2222 said:

@KineticWolf said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

That forces a fairly boring style of gameplay, necessitating constant aggression over raw reading skill.

Nothing wrong with constant aggression, that is not whats wrong with it. We already have too much wait for the other guy to attack so you can parry -riposte, and go back and fourth that way ""combat""

Too much of that? That's what's fun, trying to bypass your opponent's defenses with your superior offense. Mechanics that just encourage both players to be aggressive, that's barbaric, lacks civility and elegance. Fine for frontline, terrible for duels.

7 10
  • 24 May '19
 SirVonBarb

IMO the real issue with stab is how it doesnt seem to take momentum into account. A one-handed spear stab at max reach, where most momentum and energy is already spent should be useless against plate, especially grazing shots. As for daggers, they should be very efficient against plate at very close range, but those catfighting dagger spams at arms length shouldnt even scratch the paint on Milanese plate.

47 14

Sorry Cheto you're in the wrong here.

Accel your chamber morph and you won't lose to stab spammers anymore if that's all they were relying on.

162 125
  • 24 May '19
 Schwarzchild

if you add momentum based combat, damage values will be inconsistent, it just doesnt work as a mechanic for slasher titles and this has been mentioned countless of times during alpha beta

Knight 2272 4089
  • 24 May '19
 Runagate

Imo stabs are usually far easier to parry than chamber. Easier than swings, at least. Timing tends to change much less for stabs.

It's also far more efficient for your stamina.

530 281
  • 24 May '19
 Christian2222

@Schwarzchild said:
if you add momentum based combat, damage values will be inconsistent, it just doesnt work as a mechanic for slasher titles and this has been mentioned countless of times during alpha beta

If you add momentum based combat the game becomes too awesome, and realistic, and fun........gotcha.

Knight 2272 4089
  • 24 May '19
 Runagate

Your idea of fun (Inconsistent, not skill based, random, realism over gameplay) isn't the same as for most of us Christian. Surely someone will make a momentum-based damage mod once the SDK is released, and then we can see how bad it is.

1 0
  • 24 May '19
 Nairus

There really isn't anything inconsistent or random with momentum based combat, it adds another layer of skill in hitting at specific points in your attack animations, and utilizing footwork to increase your attack momentum.

Warband uses this kind of system quite well, and it added quite a few additional maneuvers to the game, such as forcing glances by positioning yourself at the start of your opponent's swing. It also adds another level to both reading an opponent's moves and also feinting, as you can then feint or read based on footwork. Opponent moving to their left? Probably doing a right swing, but might be a feint to get a left swing or stab in.

I don't think mordhau necessarily needs this kind of mechanic, and it wouldn't have that much of an impact on stab-spam, but it is a completely viable and skill based system.

Knight 7768 14309
  • 24 May '19
 ToLazy4Name

yes yes momentum based combat good it will only completely invalidate swing manipulation which is one of the biggest mechanics in the game yes

78 46
  • 24 May '19
 Cheto

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Cheto said:

I just tested chamber morph accels with a maul vs a rapier. You can hit every single time. I don't know how to explain to you people that you're bad and i'm not.

Video proove it against someone spamming stab at you or fucking go away cunt.

47 14

My dude you can see it for yourself in game since there's stab spammers everywhere.

Use the maul and chamber the stab into a morphed overhead then crouch+look down and it's a free kill if all they're doing is spamming stab.

19 9
  • 24 May '19
 Gterry180

Isn't the OP trying to say this?

first person stabs:
second chambers with a stab/ morphs to swing.
gets hit by next stab before chamber/ morph lands?