Mordhau

PSA: Bows have weight. (Seriously.)

109 165
  • 8
  • 22 May
 Speak

Le read my le reddit post

https://old.reddit.com/r/MordhauUniversity/comments/brvot6/bows_have_a_hidden_weight_penalty/

tl;dr every additional bow in your inventory significantly increases your weight and decreases your speed, and this isn't reflected by the weight/mobility indicators.

I wonder if this is a "bug" (as in maybe bows aren't supposed to slow you down) or just a UI oversight: Presumably they meant to give archers a speed penalty but they forgot to make the customization interface indicate that bows have weight.

The takeaways here are:

  1. If you're using a bow as a sidearm (e.g. crossbow, which fires real quick and is fun as a sidearm for that reason), know that it'll slow you down.
  2. If you're stacking bows in Horde, know that it'll reaaaally slow you down.
  3. If you're just a normal old 0/0/0 archer, know that you're slower than a regular 0/0/0 fella. Hell, you're slower than a 1/1/1 fella. Not sure what amount of armor corresponds to 0/0/0+Bow. (edit: 2/1/3 is pretty close, as is 3/0/0 or 0/3/0)
367 340
  • 23 May
 Peacerer

I wouldn't even be surprised considering developers support 2h elitism.

1083 1717
394 589
  • 2
  • 23 May
 smug

This is a dumb mechanic considering there's already a chase mechanic which does the same thing as this does, which is making archers easier to rush down.

Considering ONLY bows have weight this just seems like a mechanic solely to shit on archers for no reason.

1083 1717

Wonder if shields have weight now too lol

Baron 47 89

@Peacerer said:
I wouldn't even be surprised considering developers support 2h elitism.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.- Now if you would like to go play a shooter FPS you're in luck, there are thousands of them on the market. I probably couldn't count past my fingers naming games of Mordhau's genre, much less the same tier. Get over it wuss archer boy or learn to point and click on heads better :-)

Knight 108 140

Yeah, totally makes sense. Weapons that actually SHOULD slow you down (like huge swords, battleaxes, maul) don't slow you one bit, but bows do. Makes a looooooooooooot of sense.

1757 1412
  • 23 May
 Rergato

How about just play the game and get good instead of finding design features to blame your shitiness on

67 40
  • 23 May
 Kuro1n

@ǀǁǂÐƦ₳ƓƟƝƁƟƦƝǂǁǀ said:
Yeah, totally makes sense. Weapons that actually SHOULD slow you down (like huge swords, battleaxes, maul) don't slow you one bit, but bows do. Makes a looooooooooooot of sense.

Have you tried running with one? It's annoying.

162 104

@Tatornator said:

@Peacerer said:
I wouldn't even be surprised considering developers support 2h elitism.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-

Where did you get that from ? Show me the advertisment which says "this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-" ?
Literally the first thing you see in the video on the main steam page are giant Blide catapults launching rocks in the enemy base:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/629760/MORDHAU/

The video also shows archer running around and shooting in multiple situations and you can also see smaller portable catapults in the video.

The only thing you would get the idea from, that this game is melee only, is from the terminology "Mordhau is a Medieval Slasher", Which is a very vague and missleading term at best. Because there is no fixed definition for the wording slasher. And most people who see bows and catapults being used in the trailer, will belive the trailer more then the wording "Medieval Slasher".

This game does melee combat very well, except of the slow attack and swing speed and that you only have to parry in two directions no matter in which direction your enemy is swinging. But it is definitely false advertisment on the steam page, showing the archer in multiple combat situations in the trailer, when archer are clearly not a viable option and the community said multiple times that they dont want to have archer in the game which play as effective as their own classes do.

190 95

it would be nice if we could parry or chamber up to 3 or 4 attacks with a bow before being disarmed...

9 14
  • 1
  • 23 May
 Rostopel

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:
The video also shows archer running around and shooting in multiple situations and you can also see smaller portable catapults in the video.

The only thing you would get the idea from, that this game is melee only, is from the terminology "Mordhau is a Medieval Slasher", Which is a very vague and missleading term at best. Because there is no fixed definition for the wording slasher. And most people who see bows and catapults being used in the trailer, will belive the trailer more then the wording "Medieval Slasher".

This game does melee combat very well, except of the slow attack and swing speed and that you only have to parry in two directions no matter in which direction your enemy is swinging. But it is definitely false advertisment on the steam page, showing the archer in multiple combat situations in the trailer, when archer are clearly not a viable option and the community said multiple times that they dont want to have archer in the game which play as effective as their own classes do.

From your link:

MORDHAU is a medieval first & third person multiplayer slasher. Enter a hectic battlefield of up to 64 players as a mercenary in a fictional, but realistic world, where you will get to experience the brutal and satisfying melee combat that will have you always coming back for more.

Ranged combat is one of the features of this melee focused game, much like engineering. You can't blame the developers for your lack of reading comprehension or buying a game after just watching the trailer. Also, "slasher" would logically be a game where you slash, you can easily look up the definition of the word slash. If that isn't obvious then I don't know how to help you.

523 566
  • 1
  • 23 May
 Deadmode

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-

Where did you get that from ? Show me the advertisment which says "this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-" ?
Literally the first thing you see in the video on the main steam page are giant Blide catapults launching rocks in the enemy base:

On the steam page it's a 'medieval slasher' and the kickstarter campaign was 'medieval melee game'.

That said, they do say, in the features list:

Huge arsenal of weapons & equipment: Take on enemies with a greatsword, rain arrows from above, or even sit back and build fortifications.

So they are not marketing it as a pure melee game. Anyone who's been following development since the kickstarter, like me (who missed the campaign by hours), know it as a melee-focused game from that campaign pitch, though.

367 340
  • 23 May
 Peacerer

@Tatornator said:

@Peacerer said:
I wouldn't even be surprised considering developers support 2h elitism.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.- Now if you would like to go play a shooter FPS you're in luck, there are thousands of them on the market. I probably couldn't count past my fingers naming games of Mordhau's genre, much less the same tier. Get over it wuss archer boy or learn to point and click on heads better :-)

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but in this game i'm playing mostly 2h only since release - topping the #1 score in most FL rounds i play. Incase you haven't noticed it's probably due to you dying to fast upon meeting me on the battlefield.

About your BS trying to spread lies Mordhau was solely advertised as melee only game is nothing but enlarging your small penis IRL via two-handed weapons ingame.

Although i don't give a rat's ass about your small pee pee syndrome, probably 'coz i prefer big ones, the fact stays - developers support 2h elitism.

523 566
  • 23 May
 Deadmode

@Peacerer said:

@Tatornator said:

@Peacerer said:
I wouldn't even be surprised considering developers support 2h elitism.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.- Now if you would like to go play a shooter FPS you're in luck, there are thousands of them on the market. I probably couldn't count past my fingers naming games of Mordhau's genre, much less the same tier. Get over it wuss archer boy or learn to point and click on heads better :-)

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but in this game i'm playing mostly 2h only since release - topping the #1 score in most FL rounds i play. Incase you haven't noticed it's probably due to you dying to fast upon meeting me on the battlefield.

About your BS trying to spread lies Mordhau was solely advertised as melee only game is nothing but enlarging your small penis IRL via two-handed weapons ingame.

Although i don't give a rat's ass about your small pee pee syndrome, probably 'coz i prefer big ones, the fact stays - developers support 2h elitism.

I know, the devs hurt your feelings.

Come here, let's hug it out. It's okay to cry.

162 104

@Knaris said:

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:
The video also shows archer running around and shooting in multiple situations and you can also see smaller portable catapults in the video.

The only thing you would get the idea from, that this game is melee only, is from the terminology "Mordhau is a Medieval Slasher", Which is a very vague and missleading term at best. Because there is no fixed definition for the wording slasher. And most people who see bows and catapults being used in the trailer, will belive the trailer more then the wording "Medieval Slasher".

This game does melee combat very well, except of the slow attack and swing speed and that you only have to parry in two directions no matter in which direction your enemy is swinging. But it is definitely false advertisment on the steam page, showing the archer in multiple combat situations in the trailer, when archer are clearly not a viable option and the community said multiple times that they dont want to have archer in the game which play as effective as their own classes do.

From your link:

MORDHAU is a medieval first & third person multiplayer slasher. Enter a hectic battlefield of up to 64 players as a mercenary in a fictional, but realistic world, where you will get to experience the brutal and satisfying melee combat that will have you always coming back for more.

Ranged combat is one of the features of this melee focused game, much like engineering. You can't blame the developers for your lack of reading comprehension or buying a game after just watching the trailer. Also, "slasher" would logically be a game where you slash, you can easily look up the definition of the word slash. If that isn't obvious then I don't know how to help you.

Again nothing on the steam page says strictly that it is "melee focused". Show me where that stands on the steam page? You cant expect all the people who buy this game to be alpha kickstarter backer, who have followed the development of this game for years.

Most people just see gameplay of it on twitch or youtube. Gameplay in which you also see a lot of archer playing. And then they maybe browse on the steam page or look up a few trailer on youtube and that it. You cant expect everyone being an alpha player.

If ranged combat is a feature in this game, then it is a broken and very badly implemented feature. And most people who want to use Archery, will not have a lot of fun using that feature. If a feature is as badly implemented as archery is then its no feature at all in my opinion. At least for the archer player who wants it to be viable. For the melee player Archery may be a feature of getting free, or at least very easy kills on Archers. That may be a feature yes, but its not a good one for the Archer player.

162 104

@Deadmode said:

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-

Where did you get that from ? Show me the advertisment which says "this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-" ?
Literally the first thing you see in the video on the main steam page are giant Blide catapults launching rocks in the enemy base:

On the steam page it's a 'medieval slasher' and the kickstarter campaign was 'medieval melee game'.

That said, they do say, in the features list:

Huge arsenal of weapons & equipment: Take on enemies with a greatsword, rain arrows from above, or even sit back and build fortifications.

So they are not marketing it as a pure melee game. Anyone who's been following development since the kickstarter, like me (who missed the campaign by hours), know it as a melee-focused game from that campaign pitch, though.

The Kickstarter page says also:

"RANGED COMBAT. The game’s arsenal includes ranged equipment such as bows and crossbows. You can also throw your sword, preferably into someone’s face. Projectiles will collide with other projectiles, and even attacks. See an axe flying towards you? Bat it away."

But what good is that "RANGED COMBAT" if it is implemented like it is in this game. It only serves the melee players who just want to have archer in this game as free kills and thats it. For the archer player themself it feels mostly terrible. What good is it to create a class which plays that underwhelming just to have easy kills for the mindless twohanded no brainers in this game who just run into enemy groups with almost 360 degree swings and farm kills with that method?

I get it combat should be skillfull when it comes to archery but when it comes to your favorite weapontypes, the large two handed weapos, it cant be op and braindead enough.

Thats also the reason that the same people who say "Archery is fine" argue against nerfing the horse combat, because in their mind:"Horses where op in real life so they have to be also op in this game". The same people who say that: "Arrows dont need to fly faster, because its only a game and not real life".

As said you are just a bunch of hypocrits which changes arguments on the fly to their liking. The only continuity in your argumentation is:

" I want the weapons i use to be op and all the weapons which can be used against me to be nerfed in the ground".

Thats all your argumentation is.

523 566
  • 1
  • 23 May
 Deadmode

But archery is viable. They just won't top the leaderboards because arrows don't 1-tap and archers typically face less opponents per match than a melee player. Skilled archers do very well and you can often see/feel their impact in a game if they are playing good counter-archer strategies. I would bet that 1 in 5 of my deaths are by ranged, usually being picked off when I'm weak in combat or trying to heal. The good archers are also far harder to locate, get to or chase and if you do catch them, have decent melee skills to back themselves up with.

Yes, ranged is heavily nerfed, but that is to preserve the flow of the melee combat. If archers had a quicker TTK, quicker projectile speed or damage then melee players would be dying every few seconds to a bow.Melee is what people come to this game for primarily, so gameplay like that would suck. The balance right now is good, in my opinion.

That said, if larger-scale gamemodes were offered, such as a seige or open-field, or some kind of gamemode that allowed more unit freedom, then ranged should be allowed to flourish accordingly. I would love to experience running towards a castle, dodging volleys of arrows from the ramparts in the hope that I can get in range of the enemy to deal damage.

I just think that in the current gameplay meta of Mordhau, the balance between ranged and melee is right, even if it's obvious that ranged has been heavily stunted to achieve this.

I'm not saying that playing an archer is easy, but their impact on gameplay is in a good place.

162 104

@Deadmode said:
But archery is viable.

Pls leave that decision to the people who actully play archery on a regular base in this game. And are interested in playing archery. Most Archer in this forum including myself say its not viable, at least not as viable as all other classes.

Sorry if i belive my own experience of playing as archer in this game and other archer in this forum more then a person like you who is clearly biased towards playing with two hander most of his time.

Ask almost all people who like to play as Archer and they tell you its not equally viable then all the other classes.
Ask melee player and they tell you "its fine, archers where support classes in real life and arrows dont need to fly faster because its not real life but rather a video game"

Who would you belive more as Archer player who never played this game?

Baron 47 89
  • 23 May
 Tatornator

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:

@Tatornator said:

@Peacerer said:
I wouldn't even be surprised considering developers support 2h elitism.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-

Where did you get that from ? Show me the advertisment which says "this game is entirely advertised as a -melee game.-" ?
Literally the first thing you see in the video on the main steam page are giant Blide catapults launching rocks in the enemy base:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/629760/MORDHAU/

The video also shows archer running around and shooting in multiple situations and you can also see smaller portable catapults in the video.

The only thing you would get the idea from, that this game is melee only, is from the terminology "Mordhau is a Medieval Slasher", Which is a very vague and missleading term at best. Because there is no fixed definition for the wording slasher. And most people who see bows and catapults being used in the trailer, will belive the trailer more then the wording "Medieval Slasher".

This game does melee combat very well, except of the slow attack and swing speed and that you only have to parry in two directions no matter in which direction your enemy is swinging. But it is definitely false advertisment on the steam page, showing the archer in multiple combat situations in the trailer, when archer are clearly not a viable option and the community said multiple times that they dont want to have archer in the game which play as effective as their own classes do.

Screenshot_20190523-113001_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20190523-112942_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20190523-112835_Samsung Internet.jpg

You whinny, privileged potato complaining about false advertisement. They are in no way required to make archers how you fucking want them to be. They will make archers balanced in the way that suites their melee game and the general populace of their community. Stop crying and moaning and play archers for what they're intended, a casual break from melee for variety. You wanna point and click on heads? Go play CoD you filthy casual, you disgrace this game.