Mordhau

Make bow vs tier 3 armor realistic to piss off entitled archers

10 14

there was some thread a few days ago that had some shmuck whining about how unrealistic bows are, said they travel way to slow as compared to real life
then some god outta nowhere pulls out the facts ie: unreal engine 1 unit = 1cm and proves they are in fact realistic in speed
lets make bows even more realistic when stacked up against some armor
https://youtu.be/Ej3qjUzUzQg?t=52
^what bow users don't want you seeing^

Count 129 206
  • 21 May
 Pariah

Yeah no.

I'm not a fan of archers, but muh realism isn't a balance argument on either side of the coin here.

188 221
  • 21 May
 smug

This is clearly a facetious argument meant to prove a point, he isnt serious.

133 41

lol i want more realistic spears if someone with a large sword smacks the wood it should break

15 12
  • 21 May
 -db-

Haha if you want realism I suggest adding bodkin arrows to the game. There you go with your tier 3 armor realism, arrows shot from a longbow would go straight through your useless plate armor.
And Antoniokontos watch skallagrim on youtube. You will find out that it's simply immpossible for someone to cut or break a spear with a sword, cause the spear wielder would never block by just holding up the spear for you to hit it straight on. With a spear you deflect a sword to the side very very easy only to then stab the enemy in the chest.

1 0

I was just about to point that out, db. If anything, realistic spears would be better at parrying 2h weapons, and would blow through those 2h weapon parries.

133 41

@-db- said:
Haha if you want realism I suggest adding bodkin arrows to the game. There you go with your tier 3 armor realism, arrows shot from a longbow would go straight through your useless plate armor.
And Antoniokontos watch skallagrim on youtube. You will find out that it's simply immpossible for someone to cut or break a spear with a sword, cause the spear wielder would never block by just holding up the spear for you to hit it straight on. With a spear you deflect a sword to the side very very easy only to then stab the enemy in the chest.

i know but the way the games spears parry it leaves alot of the shaft exposed

7 22

Id much rather spears held at full length didn't damage someone who is face hugging you unless you shortened your shaft grip. Nothing more dumb than closing down a spearmans 9ft shaft to have his elastic go-go gadget arms pull it all the way back for a face to face stab.

686 847

@-db- said:

Bodkin arrows were meant for piercing chainmail and leather and thick padding... not sheets of fucking metal lmao

Knight 3232 6607
  • 21 May
 Bodkin

I know this is probably just being cheeky, but if you want realistic bows then lets also make any melee weapon that isn't a heavy blunt or polearm do next to 0 dmg to armor and make it where only 10% of the server even has access to it.

For real though, most swords wont even cut through gambeson let alone maille/plate

1 2
  • 21 May
 Audit

@SerAveryLongdick said:
Id much rather spears held at full length didn't damage someone who is face hugging you unless you shortened your shaft grip. Nothing more dumb than closing down a spearmans 9ft shaft to have his elastic go-go gadget arms pull it all the way back for a face to face stab.

So much this. Spears should have a dead zone if you get within their reach. That's how spears were countered in real life, you either out ranged them or you got within the spear wielders grip.

188 221
  • 21 May
 smug

@Audit said:

@SerAveryLongdick said:

So much this. Spears should have a dead zone if you get within their reach. That's how spears were countered in real life, you either out ranged them or you got within the spear wielders grip.

That logic doesn’t just apply to spears. Virtually every weapon should do minimal damage at facehug range. The problem is that this is a videogame and a change like this for the sake of realism could make the game less fun in general. In fact it would probably make stabbing even stronger because there would be little incentive to facehug in general making ranged poking more effective.

15 12
  • 21 May
 -db-

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

Bodkin arrows were meant for piercing chainmail and leather and thick padding... not sheets of fucking metal lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

Educate yourself before you spread bullshit. Yes, bodkin was initially invented to penetrate chainmail, but it worked as well against plate armour. Why didn't it work in the video you posted? Because that armour is astonishingly well made. Something they didn't have in great numbers in medieval times. The plates are too thick, compared to most historically accurate armour. They were much thinner for several reasons: they didn't have the knowledge we nowadays have of creating sturdy but lightweight alloys. So if in medieval times you wanted to achieve the armour you provided in the video it would have been much thicker. Something which was rarely made because first the armour would be so heavy you could only move limited and secondly it was very very expensive and only few could afford such stuff.

For those who are too lazy to look up the links. Video shows historical armour penetrated with ease by a longbow. Wikipedia link is about the encounter at Agincourt (1415) the french had with the english army during the Hundred Years War (1337 to 1453). The english army consisted of a few knights (about 20%) and the rest archers, with only a tiny fraction having had a crossbow already. The french army was mostly knights, many of them mounted. The englishmen set up the knights (dismounted with spears) between two hills, covered with forest where the archers were positioned. The french thinking having the upside charged right in. Rest is history, archers wreaked havoc amongst the french.

And yes trust me, I'm a captain. Studied this shit at university :)

1658 1299
  • 21 May
 Rergato

Q and E should move the legs individually. W to contract/extend the knee.

118 154
  • 21 May
 LoPan

@-db- said:

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

Educate yourself before you spread bullshit. Yes, bodkin was initially invented to penetrate chainmail, but it worked as well against plate armour. Why didn't it work in the video you posted? Because that armour is astonishingly well made. Something they didn't have in great numbers in medieval times. The plates are too thick, compared to most historically accurate armour. They were much thinner for several reasons: they didn't have the knowledge we nowadays have of creating sturdy but lightweight alloys. So if in medieval times you wanted to achieve the armour you provided in the video it would have been much thicker. Something which was rarely made because first the armour would be so heavy you could only move limited and secondly it was very very expensive and only few could afford such stuff.

For those who are too lazy to look up the links. Video shows historical armour penetrated with ease by a longbow. Wikipedia link is about the encounter at Agincourt (1415) the french had with the english army during the Hundred Years War (1337 to 1453). The english army consisted of a few knights (about 20%) and the rest archers, with only a tiny fraction having had a crossbow already. The french army was mostly knights, many of them mounted. The englishmen set up the knights (dismounted with spears) between two hills, covered with forest where the archers were positioned. The french thinking having the upside charged right in. Rest is history, archers wreaked havoc amongst the french.

That’s working very well to you? That’s like an eight inch penetration lmfao. I get you LOVE bows and all but that was laughable.

58 44
  • 21 May
 Cheto

@-db- said:

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

All TC BS destroyed.

15 12
  • 21 May
 -db-

@LoPan said:

@-db- said:

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

That’s working very well to you? That’s like an eight inch penetration lmfao. I get you LOVE bows and all but that was laughable.

You realize that it is enough to take you out of the battle? Eight inch at the right spot is enough to kill you, and even if it doesnt hit a vital spot the momentum crushes your bones.
And no, this doesn't mean I love bows, what I love are facts :)

118 154
  • 21 May
 LoPan

No. And eighth inch anywhere would not kill you.... MAYBE straight in the jugular and that’s only if you are dumb enough to not put pressure on it. What kind of silly university did you study anatomy at?😂

I love bows. I hunt w bows. And still.

Could take 10 of those silly shots in a breastplate and not drop an egg.

686 847

@-db- said:

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

Is this guy serious? Posts a video with some idiots shooting at aluminum and says "educate yourself".

Likes comments disabled.

You're either a decent troll or i feel sorry for you for spending money on whatever you're trying to call an education

15 12
  • 21 May
 -db-

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

@smellycathawk said:

@-db- said:

Is this guy serious? Posts a video with some idiots shooting at aluminum and says "educate yourself".

Likes comments disabled.

You're either a decent troll or i feel sorry for you for spending money on whatever you're trying to call an education

So you read the video description? Says it's carbon steel. So your education failed obiously :)