Mordhau

Pole Axe Range

5 4

The Pole Axe, obviously a polearm, has the same range as the Longsword and even less range than the Greatsword. It is simply completely useless since it doesnt have the advantage of higher range which makes it obsolete. It has high damage and is rather slow, okay no problem at all, thats how polearms usually are. But I simply cannot understand how someone has higher range with a greatsword than someone with a Poleaxe.
Poleaxes were sometimes up to even 2.4m long while Greatsword were usuall as high as the wielder (ca. 1,7m).

Please increase the Range on the Poleaxe and make it a actual Polearm.

529 278

Pole axe is a joke, if you look at the stats, and compare it to other weapons it's pretty much useless. People know it too, hardly anyone uses pole axe. Maybe if it was just cheaper.

No more content updates until you balance this shit, devs. :P

14 27
  • 20 May
 private_ho

Jax, the community manager, always says it's such a great versatile weapon, so unless he changes his opinion, it's probably not going to be changed. But yes, it should definitely have more range for its point cost (it used to be 6 points during alpha, now it's 7). Should be 120 cm at least (equal to short spear/greatsword/estoc), or maybe even higher.

31 32
  • 20 May
 Saoirse

The range isn't great on the poleaxe compared to other pole arms but it's still one of my favorite weapons.

All in all it's just versatile. Blade on one side for low armor and hammer for heavy armored people with a decent stab.

Some of the morphs with it are tricky to and can throw people off a bit.

523 566
  • 21 May
 Deadmode

I recently had a few games with it and really enjoy it's usefulness and versatility in FL, especially playing a spear-type role and poking in clustered fights. I agree that some chamber-morphing and feints work great too.

I'm surprised to read that the range is less than the GS though, as in gameplay it feels better to stab with. Whilst this may be a case for an increase to length, maybe that would ruin the versatility of the weapon as the slash speeds would end up slower and less responsive. Maybe that's why the devs chose this length?

90 78
  • 21 May
 SushiFish

Looking at the numbers on the Pole Axe. The weapon IS incredible versatile when it comes to both speed and damage compared to other Polearms.

The billhook is slightly faster, but the rest are much slower and the Pole Axe alternate mode has a two shot on a tier-3 with body + headshot. 45 dmg + 60 dmg.

Its range is by far the weakest compared to the rest in the Polearm category, especially with the alternate grip which reduces it down to 90, which is the same as normal gripped Eveningstar, but two having different speed values.

It also loses its two shot with bodystrikes versus lighter armor when using the alternate grip, but you can easily swap the grip versus them.

The weapon IS very versatile, but it just isn't meta.

A slight buff could be justified, whether it would have a slight increase damage overall to increase the chance of landing those two hits to kill, and perhaps a range buff, but not by too much. We're already dealing with a pretty versatile and strong weapon here.

5 4

This is my pole axt. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My pole axt is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my pole axt is useless. Without my pole axt, I am useless. I must stab with my pole axt true. I must swing and slash faster and harder than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must cut his head off him before he slice me into pieces. I will ...

My pole axt and I know that what counts in battle is not the fear we spread, the noise of the hammer when it hits softtarget, nor the blood dust we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit and heads will roll.

My pole axt is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its range, its flexibility. I will keep my pole axt clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...

Before Odin, I swear this creed. My pole axt and I are the defenders of our kingdom. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is Yggdrasil`s and there is no enemy, but peace!

Main pole axt player and not bad at all with it.

16 17
  • 21 May
 Wulfen

@private_ho said:
Jax, the community manager, always says it's such a great versatile weapon, so unless he changes his opinion, it's probably not going to be changed. But yes, it should definitely have more range for its point cost (it used to be 6 points during alpha, now it's 7). Should be 120 cm at least (equal to short spear/greatsword/estoc), or maybe even higher.

Its the only weapon i can think of that has decent range and has an effective stab, slash, and blunt strike all in one weapon. I think it is very versatile. I like it for it relatively cheap cost to wield as well. Increasing it's range is just gonna ramp up the cost. At that point, you might as well you a spear or halberd i think

777 1029

@HansTragarsky said:
**It is simply completely useless

Then how do i get so many kills with it? When you are trying to make a point, should ask yourself... "is this true? Or is it going to make it obvious i donno what i'm talking about?"

14 27
  • 22 May
 private_ho

Another problem is that the poleaxe alt blunt side simply turns it into a slightly faster but worse eveningstar. Same length (90 cm), same stab damage with 25 ms windup difference. More importantly, alt poleaxe swing only does 45 damage to T3, meaning no 2 hit kills. The only way I've found any use for the alt mode is hit them twice with the poleaxe, then follow up for a quick finish with the dagger, but most of the time this isn't very practical. So when people say it's so versatile because it can do blunt damage, I don't know what they're talking about. The only useful blunt weapons are the mace/eveningstar/maul because they can 2HTK on T3 torso. For this same reason, you don't see anyone using the warhammer because it's not only blunt but needs 3HTK.
One small buff that could help would be to increase T3 head damage to 65 (currently) 60, so if you bonk a T3 in the head with the hammer side, you can finish them with a stab to T3 torso (35 damage). As it stands, the poleaxe alt mode is mostly useless.

12 6
  • 22 May
 Beffagorn

@smellycathawk said:

@HansTragarsky said:

Then how do i get so many kills with it? When you are trying to make a point, should ask yourself... "is this true? Or is it going to make it obvious i donno what i'm talking about?"

Anectodal evidence, the most common form of evidence used in online forums.

Also known as worthless evidence.

90 78
  • 22 May
 SushiFish

@Beffagorn,

You couldn't be more correct, and don't forget that everyone is an expert of their own too !

777 1029

@Beffagorn said:

@smellycathawk said:

@HansTragarsky said:

Anectodal evidence, the most common form of evidence used in online forums.

Also known as worthless evidence.

Do you need me to lay some anecdotes up the side of your head?

1081 1716

I think a slight speed buff to main mode slashes would be in order. The weapon feels sluggish when trying to fight multiple people. The stabs may be the opposite, too fast but I would appreciate a slight speed buff to specifically slashes even if this takes away from it's drags.

25 41
  • 23 May
 machinegod

I've posted about this before, but yes. For 7 points, pollax is undertuned. Greatsword is pretty much better in every single way right now. The pollax should have a point decrease, or increase its length/damage/speed to be worth 7 points. It was intended to be a longsword equivalent, but now that its 7 points it is now a GS equivalent and is lacking in this department.

5 4

I really forgot about the toxic "but why am I so gud with it? you suck, Im so great" snowflakes
If you get along with that weapon, well good for you. But dont turn into an asshole just because you want to represent yourself as the allmighty one.

Knight 7636 14014
  • 23 May
 ToLazy4Name

Pole axe is one of the few weapons that I agree is underwhelming.

1081 1716

@ToLazy4Name said:

Thoughts on messer? I find it relatively useless compared to longsword and it fails at killing lightly armored rats... which it should actually excel at instead of dragging the shit out of knights who can't run away.

Knight 7636 14014
  • 24 May
 ToLazy4Name

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

Thoughts on messer? I find it relatively useless compared to longsword and it fails at killing lightly armored rats... which it should actually excel at instead of dragging the shit out of knights who can't run away.

I think it's fine where it is. It has really good accels, 2 shots t2 to the chest and 2 shots t3 to the head. The only frontline match i've got over 100 kills in was with a messer.

777 1029

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
I think a slight speed buff to main mode slashes would be in order. The weapon feels sluggish when trying to fight multiple people. The stabs may be the opposite, too fast but I would appreciate a slight speed buff to specifically slashes even if this takes away from it's drags.

Just make it like every other axe in the game then...

No