Mordhau

Combat in this game in it's current form is trash...

274 320
  • 20 May
 DrGert

“I’m not a realism whore”

Complains about all things unrealistic about the game

Knight 7569 13855
  • 20 May
 ToLazy4Name

@Botas said:
The combat is basically a feint spam fest that makes it feel like a fucking roulette. Parry should work like in sekiro, doing a well timed parry should reward you with an opening, righ now parrying is absolutely pointless and this is why everyone is relying on feints to get hits on their opponents, it looks retarded as fuck.

dude epic then Mordhau could be the Dark Souls of funny ragdoll sword games!!!!!! xdDDDD

95 87
  • 20 May
 BOBOLOJOE

go play for honor if you don't like the combat in this game
mount and blade or kingdom come deliverance might be more your style but I like this one.

this game makes you feel like you are a soldier who is good with his weapon.
attacks and parries etc make more sense and feel more real to me, imho, than any other game on offer.

529 278

The problem is is this feels like half of the combat mechanics are missing or something. They just took chiv, added a couple of things. It still feels like clunky turn based combat where you trade parries XD. It's missing some weapon mass, and physics, and a proper parry system.

Knight 7569 13855
  • 20 May
 ToLazy4Name

@Christian2222 said:
The problem is is this feels like half of the combat mechanics are missing or something. They just took chiv, added a couple of things. It still feels like clunky turn based combat where you trade parries XD. It's missing some weapon mass, and physics, and a proper parry system.

It's missing something that could mean anything, a damage model that completely invalidates half the mechanics and adds inconsistency to every strike, and another thing that could mean literally anything/a complete rework of one of the fundamental mechanics which would also need the entire game to be reworked

cool ideas man haha

172 85

@Fusha said:
I've been on the Internet long enough to know not to read any post with more than one ellipsis per three paragraphs

DOT DOT DOT

172 85

@Faith said:

hey Faith how yah diddlin? You manage to learn a bit more? 'Cause most of the shit you posted was frustrated newb talk. I feel yah there definitely is a learning curve to this beast of a game. So? Are we learning yet?

Do you still have faith?

172 85
  • 20 May
 Mackintoke

@Botas said:
The combat is basically a feint spam fest that makes it feel like a fucking roulette. Parry should work like in sekiro, doing a well timed parry should reward you with an opening, righ now parrying is absolutely pointless and this is why everyone is relying on feints to get hits on their opponents, it looks retarded as fuck.

My god bud did you ever miss out on Chivalry lol

172 85
  • 20 May
 Mackintoke

@BOBOLOJOE said:
this game makes you feel like you are a soldier who is good with his weapon.

FUCK YAH bud couldn't a said it betetr myself quadruple post jsut for you have a drink lad my uncle dropped off 24 botles of red wine here have som

95 87
  • 20 May
 BOBOLOJOE

I'd rather toke on whatever you are bud lul

seriously though, if you think sekiro or whatever has a better combat system then you have never played around with edged weapons.
this "chiv" system is the most realistic in terms of being able to control the swing of a weapon in the way you would in real life. All these other games involve spamming the A button on your xbox controller to do the same animation over and over... yeah that's heaps more realistic and fun!

feint spam?
if someone is spamming feints, they are open for your attack. swing at the same time as them and yours will hit first.
if you keep falling for feints, learn to relax a bit, don't panic block. wait for the weapon to come at you before trying to parry.
trading parries?
try aim your swings and positioning your body to get around the person who is good with timing his parry.
move in and out of range, tempting your enemy to swing at you out of range, missing you and leaving them selves open without enough time to parry.

172 85
  • 20 May
 Mackintoke

I toke only the best chronic in Canada yo, its legal now, I can blow smoke in a cops face and he be like "FUCK YAH THAT'S SOME DANK CUSH!"

1330 1380

Please stop calling it the current parry system. It won't change.

Knight 2225 3992
  • 20 May
 Runagate

@Botas said:

Right, because that totally would not result in people playing super defensively and as such making the game unbearably stale.

150 58
  • 20 May
 Botas

@Runagate said:

@Botas said:

Right, because that totally would not result in people playing super defensively and as such making the game unbearably stale.

That is why parry should not really be a button but the game should be based on chamberings and make them a bit simpler to pull off and feints could still exist but with a cool down.

382 575
  • 20 May
 smug

@Botas said:

yeah dude parrying should give you a free hit

Knight 34 30
  • 20 May
 Oatmate

This thread has been closed.

God Emperor 90 521

The way you "Parry" if that's what it's meant to be (ONLY in two directions, keep it simple for the simpletons) is honestly only that way due to LAZY design work. Now I like realism but I'm not a realism whore... but seriously who honestly attempts to block EVERY strike someone throws at you like that ? I have done some sword play over the years it's fun but if I started trying to block every blow someone throws at me like that I would be pretty dead pretty quick ?! I won't even ask HOW that style of block stops a thrust attack, if anyone wants to explain that would be great....

It's a videogame.

The current system of a cool down on your " parry " leads to just dumb back and forth play till someone throws a feint and owwwwwww now I must eat a hit.... dumb lazy design work...

Footwork and dragging.

The combat feels slow, sluggish and clunky as hell and tbh it's boring ! I feel like if you sped aspects of combat up and implement something like the block listed below the game would feel so much better...

It's a videogame. Learn to accelerate and riposte or use a dagger for fast attacks.

I like the idea of the "Parry" but just not as the ONLY way to block. Why can't there be like a more basic block function similar to what you have now but without a stupid cool down timer or be able to hold it in that direction.... Using the standard block should drain stamina or something to make it have a downside obviously and maybe you can't attack straight from a blocked strike like you can in the current melee from a " Parry "?

They're called chambers. Did you play the tutorial?

Now the " Parry " should stay in it's current form but have some positive for landing a well time parried in a similar (__) angle to the attack that was thrown at you. This would make people throw other things that just left and right as I imagine they would be the easiest parries... Maybe this could have a knock back which could turn into a free hit maybe drain a lot of the opponents stamina ?

Chambering.

You have a cool system atm when people drop weapons due to lack of stamina which honestly I would like to see used more I don't understand why blocking doesn't drain stamina ?! I am attacking an archer who has a cleaver and I have a great sword, how in the world of fuck can he trade blows back and forth with me, blocking a great sword with a cleaver "or most other swords / maces " your loosing a few fingers and that thing is getting knock outta your hands sharpish !!

Besides the fact that it would be hurt the game if one handed weapons got knocked out of hands in single hits there are videos of daggers parrying longswords in real life.

Left and right side ripostes are useless in there current form. In honest the thrust riposte is also pretty useless, cool idea poor implementation.

No idea what you're talking about.

The feint thing is just lazy imo... feels like this and the parry where just thrown into the game to get it out the door. You should be able to feint later on strikes "pulling your strike" but even then without a blocking function the whole feint this just feels cheap with the current parry cooldown. not sure what I would do with this tbh : /

So you complain about feints giving you hits and suggest making feints even stronger. Are you mentally ill?

The kick... ha the kick, it's far far to slow and this should not be the only way to get around people with shields. You should be able to use the kick while moving forward, it's pretty useless in it's current form. Shields need a lot of work in this game atm they are hellllaaa strong with very small negatives.... really you should be able to strike someones left / right and head with a sword. Or when in full block they shouldnt be able to see nothing but the back of their own shield..

Yes, kicks are bad. You will get punished more often than rewarded if you use them.

being able to set your strikes, left right top bottom etc on to keys is honestly not healthy for the game.... WHY would anyone think that is a good idea ?! I can see why loads people would use it but come on ppplleeeaaseee it's a combat sym that is STUPID. You should have to use your mouse to attempt to get the correct angle ?! Surely you can see how that is an easy mode, hell make a Harcore version where u can't do that or something.... Perfect head height swings 0 effort execution sword ... Simpleton mode. "If you implemented an actual parry function these people would get eaten alive"

You want this game to pull an Overwatch and make everyone play with the same settings? Again, chambers.

I would welcome some other ideas on how to make the combat and game feel less sluggish / running around in circles swinging left to right.... Otherwise I imagine when Bannerlord comes out this game will be in the dust....

You're using an IP whose multiplayer is known for having coked up ballerinas as a standard to aspire to. High level duelling looks absolutely cancerous to watch. I'd rather replay Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods than touch mount and blade multiplayer again.

295 235
  • 20 May
 LoPan

This is a long winded way to say you don’t understand the game mechanics.

Shields still need to be reworked. Otherwise everything you are complaining about is completely manageable.

Feints are easy to read. Calm down and be patient. Lag time on blocks makes duels practical time wise and more skill based and less mash block button forever based. Morphs are a little harder to read starting from stab which is why you should not face huh and keep some distance. This will also save you shield crutches from the new kick buff which I think was more or less just a bandaid for a more thorough rework to shields. But I didn’t have many issues from the beginning.

Tl:dr. Remain calm and patient and learn the mechanics and tells a little better. Maybe spend some time in duel servers to better yourself.

529 278

Another problem is certain things are not intuitive at first. For example, why is combo-feint to parry faster than just parrying after an attack, when you have to wait for animation? If it is to make it so non combo weapons can't parry after attacking then just do so.

Combat should be intuitive. There are many other non intuitive game mechanics as well =/