Mordhau

Potential Kickstarter Goal ~ Visually damageable Weapons and Equipment

King 1293 1398
  • 4 Nov '16
 Havoc

Hypothetically let's say that there's a monetary kickstarter stretch goal for Visually damageable Weapons and Equipment, in which, for example, if you chamber a greatsword swing against a greatsword swing there's an audible noise with an actual visible nick on the sword model (dynamic or pre rendered), or if you hit a helmet with a mace there will be a visible dent. If you hit a shield with an axe, there's visible damage, if you stab a leg covered in leather, there's a gash with visible damage.

Another example would be if someone that is wearing a tabard is slashed by a sword, there would a visible bloodied gash on the model/texture, or if a polearm hits a pauldron/cuirass there's a visible dent.

This could also factor into last hit kill visuals (which atm is dismemberment or partial dismemberment), for example if you hit someone who's wearing a kettle hat and it's the finishing blow, the kettle hat is visibly dented and one of the player's eyes pops out.
Or, such as the scenario above, if instead of a kettle hat they're not wearing any headgear, there could be a visible dent in their head.
Another suggestion would be if a player is wearing a Sallet with a half-visor, and is hit at the visor with a mace, the visor could be visibly dented and teeth could fall out (with adequate blood particles as a visual indicator).

Thoughts?

Knight 530 461
  • 4 Nov '16
 Garou

Yea I think this would be awesome. and if it did get added, then most likely the current module of showing damage (being bloody on your entire body) could disappear.

Duke 2702 3723
  • 4 Nov '16
 Jax

They've discussed the difficulties of dynamic armor/weapons before - it would be cool but most likely wreck performance.

622 475
  • 4 Nov '16
 EliteTeamKiller

Too bad. Super awesome idea.

King 1293 1398
  • 4 Nov '16
 Havoc

@Jax said:
They've discussed the difficulties of dynamic armor/weapons before - it would be cool but most likely wreck performance.

It wouldn't wreck performance per say as it requires time (time is money) and skill to implement, either premade or dynamic which would require a tool, or something the devs would have to cook up.

The main issue really is the time it would take to modify the current system to accommodate this, which is why I think a stretch goal is perfect, because this is something that would be best suited for feature creep, without impact on the overall experience of the game.

Count 1152 2350
  • 4 Nov '16
 Smokingbobs

Armour denting is something they will look into. These will be 2D textures that give the illusion of 3D. Pretty cool tbh

Conscript 3704 3817
  • 4 Nov '16
 Sir Zombie

Wouldn't seeing the wounds heal before your eyes when a teammate regenerates be really immersion breaking?

Knight 98 117
  • 4 Nov '16
 SpaceRattu

@Havoc said:

@Jax said:

It wouldn't wreck performance per say as it requires time (time is money) and skill to implement, either premade or dynamic which would require a tool, or something the devs would have to cook up.

The main issue really is the time it would take to modify the current system to accommodate this, which is why I think a stretch goal is perfect, because this is something that would be best suited for feature creep, without impact on the overall experience of the game.

I think he meant it'd wreck performance, as in how the game preforms, might be hard to process all those calculations.

280 382

@Smokingbobs said:
Armour denting is something they will look into. These will be 2D textures that give the illusion of 3D. Pretty cool tbh

Juicy. Mmmmm. Now I want to see plate armor denting from blunt strikes... And wouldn't mind possibility of making holes with spiked side of warhammer.

Duke 2702 3723
  • 4 Nov '16
 Jax

@Smokingbobs said:

I'm pretty sure they've said they'd see what they could do, but there's no promises, especially since there isn't that level of decal support in UE4 (as of their last comment on the subject). I'm sure if UE4 had native support they'd add it to Mordhau, but it's probably not something they'd want to develop over the base game, aka maps or gameplay systems as of now.

Count 1152 2350
  • 4 Nov '16
 Smokingbobs

@Jax said:

@Smokingbobs said:

I'm pretty sure they've said they'd see what they could do, but there's no promises, especially since there isn't that level of decal support in UE4 (as of their last comment on the subject). I'm sure if UE4 had native support they'd add it to Mordhau, but it's probably not something they'd want to develop over the base game, aka maps or gameplay systems as of now.

Which is why I said it's something they will look into, instead of a promised feature. Hate to use the cliché, but only time will tell. Well.. time or Marox.

Duke 2702 3723
  • 4 Nov '16
 Jax

The last part made it seemed more 'confirmed' than 'maybe', but it's hard to interpret connotation through text D:

Count 1152 2350
  • 4 Nov '16
 Smokingbobs

@Jax said:
The last part made it seemed more 'confirmed' than 'maybe', but it's hard to interpret connotation through text D:

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for others then.

King 1293 1398
King 1293 1398
King 1293 1398
Knight 74 102
  • 23 Dec '16
 VampireDuck

I know this is old, but since Havoc posted recently I will give my thoughts.

It would be cool to see visible dents or tears in armour, however this game does have health regeneration. This means that there are two options: either the armour fixes itself or it stays broken.

The problem with it fixing itself is that it would be very immersion breaking as SirZombiethe3rd said.

The problem with it not fixing itself would be that it could trick people into thinking that you have very low health when you actually have full health. You could also end up with so many dents and tears that it looks weird but this can be fixed by limiting the amount you can have, however this would also break immersion as the damage just disappears from your armour (or I guess they could not add any more dents to it).

I think if this is added it should definitely be after they have finished the base game and they should allow it to be toggled on or off due to the balanced advantages and disadvantages.

Count 1152 2350
  • 23 Dec '16
 Smokingbobs

Armour dents show how many hits he has survived.

Level of blood on his body indicates his health.

King 1293 1398
  • 16 Jan
 Havoc

@Smokingbobs said:
Armour dents show how many hits he has survived.

Level of blood on his body indicates his health.

e6a8716496a92a1945c18eac45970013

Duke 2702 3723
  • 18 Jan
 Jax

When you and your friends go out to deus vult but someone fucks with your grill :[