Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

FPS getting worse for no reason.

Baron 93 112
  • 17 May '19
 AngryLemur

I don't know what the problem is but I am having pretty bad FPS drops. It goes as low as 40 sometimes. I have always been playing the game 120 FPS with no issues. When the game was released I was still playing on 120 no problem. But as time went on, about a week ago, my FPS has dropped to 60 on average and no matter what settings I change it won't stabilise. If it was a stable 60 even I wouldn't mind but it drops to 40 as I mentioned and probably lower cause people start flashing on some occasions and its pretty unplayable cause you cant block 1 guy let alone fight multiple people.

My specs are:
Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core 3.40 GHz
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
16 GB DDR4 RAM

I tried uninstalling the game. I uninstalled the game with Revo Uninstaller Pro so It would be completely cleaned. But when I started the game up it was still the same.
The FPS cap was on 120 and I didn't turn on VSync. I tried turning it on in hopes that it would stabilise the FPS on 60 but I was still getting the same amount of drops.

I have no clue what the problem is since the game was working perfectly before. I don't have any viruses or malware that could be causing this.

I would appreciate any sort of feedback since the game is becoming unplayable as of late.

53 96
  • 17 May '19
 Fusha

Frontline was increased from 48 players to 64, which might be part of the cause. Try hopping on a community frontline server and see if it's more like it was before.

Baron 93 112
  • 17 May '19
 AngryLemur

@Fusha said:
Frontline was increased from 48 players to 64, which might be part of the cause. Try hopping on a community frontline server and see if it's more like it was before.

Yup, tried it on a 24 player server right now and it still can't even reach 120. It was dropping to 20 fps at the start but it kinda kept around the 70-80 mark after that. But it still had random drops from time to time.
What the hell is going on.

41 30
  • 17 May '19
 RoninTheRonin

@AngryLemur said:

@Fusha said:

Yup, tried it on a 24 player server right now and it still can't even reach 120. It was dropping to 20 fps at the start but it kinda kept around the 70-80 mark after that. But it still had random drops from time to time.
What the hell is going on.

I almost always have stable fps, in frontline this goes down the drain when the server gets especially populated which kinda sucks. sometimes I get a big skip in duel servers aswell.

404 607
  • 18 May '19
 smug

building things will drop fps for some people in frontline

Baron 93 112
  • 18 May '19
 AngryLemur

@smug said:
building things will drop fps for some people in frontline

This might be the problem since more and more people are playing builders but it wouldn't be permanently down. :/

7 2
  • 19 May '19
 Ryse Slade

I don't know if this will help with your problem but maybe other people with low fps or performance issues in frontline mode will find this information useful.

My computer isn't that good and the CPU is actually slightly below the minimum requirements (i5 4570) but I can play Horde mode with most settings on/ultra without any problem with 6 players and 60 enemies on screen. Frontline mode on the other hand... felt like a picture show (probably very low fps) everywhere all the time no matter where I look (even without any players visible). I changed all settings to off/low - still the same. Nothing changed. Exactly as bad as everything on/ultra. It got slightly better when I changed the game process priority to "high" in windows. So it might actually be the CPU usage. But what finally "fixed" my problem: I disabled Steam Overlay and Streaming options. With everything off/low and Steam Overlay disabled the game runs perfectly smooth. As my graphics card is pretty good (compared to the other hardware) I started enabling graphic options to find a decent balance and avoid all settings that use too much CPU power.

Baron 93 112
  • 19 May '19
 AngryLemur

@Ryse Slade said:
I don't know if this will help with your problem but maybe other people with low fps or performance issues in frontline mode will find this information useful.

My computer isn't that good and the CPU is actually slightly below the minimum requirements (i5 4570) but I can play Horde mode with most settings on/ultra without any problem with 6 players and 60 enemies on screen. Frontline mode on the other hand... felt like a picture show (probably very low fps) everywhere all the time no matter where I look (even without any players visible). I changed all settings to off/low - still the same. Nothing changed. Exactly as bad as everything on/ultra. It got slightly better when I changed the game process priority to "high" in windows. So it might actually be the CPU usage. But what finally "fixed" my problem: I disabled Steam Overlay and Streaming options. With everything off/low and Steam Overlay disabled the game runs perfectly smooth. As my graphics card is pretty good (compared to the other hardware) I started enabling graphic options to find a decent balance and avoid all settings that use too much CPU power.

Dude, thank you so much. I don't know if it's going at 120 cause I don't have the overlay. But at least from what I can guess its 60+ FPS. What happened to the games optimisation after the updates. I guess they have some major problem with steam overlay (captain obvious I know).
I did all three things and it's finally playable, thanks again man.

Baron 93 112
  • 20 May '19
 AngryLemur

Update:
Yeah, It's much better but I feel like the fps/game is still still not as smooth as it can or should be. Stutters still happen from time to time but much much less than before and it varies from game to game.

I don't know what the hell they did but they messed it up real bad. With my specs I should be and was able to play on a steady fps without stutters on high settings. There are people with better and worse PC who have the same issues even though devs were bragging how the game will be optimised well so even low tier rigs could run the game at a steady frame rate. Welp, at least I can play the game now I guess.

1 0
  • 20 May '19
 NooK

what do you mean by disabling streaming options? like in steam or windows?

7 2
  • 20 May '19
 Ryse Slade

Steam streaming - had it enabled for friends to watch me playing.

7 2
  • 21 May '19
 Ryse Slade

After playing some more games I have to admit - it helps quite a bit - but there are still some problems on full 64 player frontline servers in close combat.

So right now these changes helped me a lot...

• Change game process priority to "high"
  • Disable Steam Overlay
  • Change all graphics options to off/low

Actually I play with textures "ultra" and antialiasing "FXAA" so the game looks at least a little bit better.

What makes me wonder... according to task manager CPU and GPU usage hardly ever increase past 50% but the FPS still suffer heavily the more players are on the battlefield. I guess we will have to wait for the developers to improve performance.

185 205
  • 21 May '19
 Roag

Might be worth checking out my guide on improving FPS, hope it helps

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/16346/roags-keybinds-controls-graphics

1 1
  • 2 Jun '19
 KingofDreams

rtx 2080ti, i7-9700k, 32gb ram, ssd samsung evo 970 1tb, 144hz monitor 1440p. Ultra settings in game. PC is absolutelу new.

At first I was happy. Yes! I found my game. I just set the frame limit to 144 in the game settings and enjoyed the game. FPS didn't fall below 144, even during mass battles. But some time ago (2 or 3 weeks) I started the game and noticed that FPS isn't stable: 144-100-80-120 and so on. I do not know why. No, i see that cpu usage causes these spikes. I tried to update nvidia driver - no luck. I even reinstalled OS, but all the same: cpu usage 60%, gpu 80%. The average number of FPS is 100. Even the lowest graphics settings in the game do not help. fps increases by 20 frames, but drops are still present.