Mordhau

Balancing weapon pickups in light of 3/3/3+Perk builds

109 165
  • 15 May
 Speak

The fact that you can equip 3/3/3 + Perks and then just pick up a Spear off a dead player and have 26 points of value in your kit seems like something of an issue. I mean, it can be deliberately exploited by having a teammate suicide to give you a weapon. (Can you suicide yourself with one character to drop a weapon for another one of your characters after you respawn?)

A really straightforward solution (that would probably feel annoyingly limiting to people) would be to just prevent you from having 16 points of value equipped at once. So you have to drop some weapons if you want to pick up a high-value weapon. This would be better if you could also unequip armor (although that would require some kind of support for under-clothing so that could be complicated.) Easier if you can just unequip your helmet though.

Alternately, give weapons some weight of their own so someone who's 3/3/3 is even slower when wielding a spear/halberd? Sounds weird. I don't think weight makes enough of a difference for anyone to care, at this point.

It's not a massive issue either way, but I do think it's gross for frontline balance that a super-powered unit like that is so easily achievable.

Knight 7643 14027
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

Perks or 1/2 pieces of extra armor aren't going to make up for actual player skill. This is such a small advantage that it basically doesn't matter.

109 165
  • 15 May
 Speak

I dunno man, I think 3/3/3 + Bloodlust + Zweihander is a pretty significant advantage, maybe not too much for 1v1, but it's definitely better for 1vX than actually buying a Zweihander yourself.

Knight 7643 14027
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

It's better, yes, but not better enough to be worth doing balance changes for it.

Knight 925 2541
  • 15 May
 Pred

Going over 16 should not allow you to sprint.

Knight 7643 14027
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

The only reason this thread exists is because bloodlust exists. Your suggestion would make it so that people who get disarmed are screwed 50% of the time if they can't find their exact weapon on the ground, not to mention make it so you can't trade out your weapon for a better one ever.

This is a pointless issue without bloodlust, and even with bloodlust it hardly matters.

523 566
  • 15 May
 Deadmode

@ToLazy4Name said:
The only reason this thread exists is because bloodlust exists. Your suggestion would make it so that people who get disarmed are screwed 50% of the time if they can't find their exact weapon on the ground, not to mention make it so you can't trade out your weapon for a better one ever.

This is a pointless issue without bloodlust, and even with bloodlust it hardly matters.

+1

523 566
  • 15 May
 Deadmode

@Speak said:
The fact that you can equip 3/3/3 + Perks and then just pick up a Spear off a dead player and have 26 points of value in your kit seems like something of an issue.

It 'seems' like an issue just because the maths doesn't add up or because you have actual evidence of it outbalancing the game?

From my own experience, my 3/3/3 bloodlust build doesn't score noticeably different than any of my other builds. What is does offer me is variety when I'm playing, though.