Mordhau

Rapier Balance

837 1447

Rapier is really fast. Rapier is really long. Rapier is really fast and long, I am amazed when people can react correctly to even 1 out of 3 feints/morphs or side stabs. It also flinches not only people's swings/combos but it also flinches parries which is prolly what's most dangerous. Someone spamming rapier will continuously flinch my parries and so other peoples attacks hit me too. And ofcourse, these players often hide behind a shield until it's time to flinch you while fighting multiple of their friends. 1 rapier poke = another free rapier poke and someone elses attack hitting you while in flinch.

Rapier might be an easy chamber but it will just keep spam chambering you, Day 1 players learned this fairly early on. They might eat a chamber morph BUT a day 3 rapier player has by now learned there stab will hit first if they circle to the opposite side of where ever your swing is coming from and buy some time.

Rapier may be too predictable and punishable at high level but it's just too powerful at low to moderate level play and it's really over powered in ganks, especially when paired with a shield. Rapier becomes more common in FL every day... when it should be a duel server only meme option.

We can do any combination of the following:

A: Remove rapier. It looks out of place and I don't think it's right that people are using a renaissance weapon en masse in a medieval game. And it's just too fast and do we really need norse sword in a post-chivalry medieval title? Can we like, move on?

B: Nerf it's range. So reduce stab release so it drags and has less reach and misses more AND reduce it's physical model length a tad. Yes actual rapiers are sometimes as long as longsword but please, we don't want to make long sword obsolete like it was in the time of the rapier.

C: Remove it's ability to flinch since this is what's most disastrous about it in team play. Also, its gambles are no longer rewarded with flinch. Yes, this the most oog boog caveman solution but good players can just parry after landing hits and honestly, I think it might be a fun weapon to play with or against if its flinch went.

Increasing point cost is pointless, it wouldn't change how cancer it is and it's not like anyone needs a side arm with it. Making it do less damage to armor would be nice but the real threat of rapier is the constant flinch it puts you in and less damage wouldn't change that. I would love to see it deleted, if guns aren't in the game why should rapier, which came after I'm pretty sure, be in the game? It just looks so out of place on the battle field, especially when everyone is using it.

But because someone spent time designing the model and what not, I doubt it will be deleted. So both C and B together might be a really nice option. This is a discussion so feel free to share how you really feel about rapier and shield users :) Don't hold back

48 66
  • 14 May
 Fusha

Incorrect.

837 1447

Please elaborate my precious dinosaur. Do you main rapier? Or are you a chad who mains nothing but fists and beats the living shit out of rapier users. Each. And every. Time.

Knight 855 2314
  • 14 May
 Pred

Not to brag or anything, but Rapier is playing out exactly as I said it would, noobs are flockign to it because other noobs can't defend against it for shit because of retarded speed. And we're talking simply parrying without any feints, hides and other tricks noobs haven't discovered yet.

Fastest weapons are simply too fast. If you fix Rapier, Bastard Sword (actually a better weapon) is next in line as a zero-effort king of noob-on-noob violence. Then (F)Arming Sword.

Maybe it would be better if 1h procedural animations weren't so bad, but oh well.

Knight 5917 10249
  • 14 May
 ToLazy4Name

I'd be fine with just removing it. It doesn't have a good place in the meta.

837 1447

I liked the game better when things scaled by size/point cost/speed.

The linear progression from Dagger, shortsword, AS, BS, LS etc all the way up to Zwei.

Adding cleaver, messer, estoc, rapier etc makes it difficult to balance because now a 4 point weapon has the range of longsword with short sword speed. Also range = speed, so its actually faster than whatever number the stats give it. I really don't like where the fore mentioned weapons sit. No they're not broken or even meta but I think they should have been balanced very differently. Variety is great but we don't need norse swords or SoWs... and messer should not have been a copy/paste from chivalry minus trades.

47 51
  • 15 May
 takemura

@ToLazy4Name said:

Fuck off you hypocrite piece of shit.

455 236

The problem in this game is things don't have any mass, swinging big 2 h weapons should break your wrist if you try to block it with a little dagger or something. Every weapon is parried like it's made out of cardboard, and it doesn't matter what you are parrying with.

837 1447

@Christian2222 said:
The problem in this game is things don't have any mass, swinging big 2 h weapons should break your wrist if you try to block it with a little dagger or something. Every weapon is parried like it's made out of cardboard, and it doesn't matter what you are parrying with.

You can literally parry a maul with a dagger. In the real world.

8 5
  • 15 May
 bmsd

Bad players keep crying about rapier untill they realize how to counter it. Same with shields.

153 54
  • 15 May
 Mackintoke

Rapiers are for fags in drag

89 134
  • 15 May
 Speak

I don't even play Rapier but that comment from Mack makes me wanna play Rapier just so I can kill him with it while he's playing the lute. And I like his lute playing.

153 54
  • 15 May
 Mackintoke

lmao it wouldn't be the first time lol.

I'm just kidding I don't care if you use Rapiers. Hell I used to use Rapiers when playing Chivalry Deadliest Warrior as t he Pirate Class, until I unlocked the Sabre and Boarding Axe.

You guys use whatever weapon you wan't, sa'll gud

Knight 5917 10249
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

@takemura said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

Fuck off you hypocrite piece of shit.

What? lmao you're an angry incoherent creature learn to control yourself you weirdo

Knight 3218 6543
85 148

Rapier is dogshit, swings do no damage, stabs get chambered and you lose it in a few seconds unless you have a buckler which makes the whole combo 7 cost and even then its damage is pathetically weak. Yeah, sure, it's fast. But even if you get hit 5 times it doesn't really matter since you hit the enemy twice with a real weapon and they fall over. Which is not hard when all your stamina gets drained in mere moments while using the rapier. All the rapier is good for is memeing new players, if anything it should be removed because everyone would be outraged with the only other viable option, which is buffing it.

10 3
  • 15 May
 HoneyBadger

both rapier and shield are diserving of balancing, but they are counterable you just need the correct loadout just like everything else in the game.
It is NOT a even playing field you need to know what you are doing.
I do agree though that for 4 points the rapier is a tad too good.
either lower point cost and damage/speed or make it as expensive as the messer which imo it outclasses anyway

85 148

@HoneyBadger said:
both rapier and shield are diserving of balancing, but they are counterable you just need the correct loadout just like everything else in the game.
It is NOT a even playing field you need to know what you are doing.
I do agree though that for 4 points the rapier is a tad too good.
either lower point cost and damage/speed or make it as expensive as the messer which imo it outclasses anyway

Rapier.

Outclasses messer.

Lmfao.

Knight 295 682
  • 15 May
 AngelEyes

We all know they are counter-able people It’s nice to see new guys just figuring this out and all that real nice.

Now go into a duel server against two non first weekers and tell them you wanna work on your 1v2’s with one playing rapier. Take footage come back ty

Knight 295 682
  • 15 May
 AngelEyes

I could care less if rapier never even changes but it really truly has become a dogshit first impression for new people facing off against a bunch of literal needle dicks

Rapier noobs will sooner or later catch on to chamber baits so they can get that glorious Gohan on meth ez riposte