Mordhau

Change my mind: Eveningstar is not worth 8 points

25 41
  • 15 May
 machinegod

The eveningstar is one of the best weapons in the game, with 2HTK ability to T3 chest, comboing, and more going for it...and you guys want to buff it?

523 566
  • 15 May
 Deadmode

I don't use it much in duels as I favour the longsword or battleaxe, but the evening star in frontline can destroy. It does require more thrusting in packed fights, but given the room to swing, switch and drag and it just bashes heads. For me it feels like a maul with better range and combo ability.

I think its point cost is okay and it might be OP if dropped, imo. It would be interesting to see the impact of that though.

114 195

All the players who have actually been playing for a ridiculous amount of time say the Eveningstar is one of the best weapons in the game, and I'm inclined to believe them. It two-shots literally anything and drains the stamina of your opponent super quickly, which is one of the key aspects of a good weapon at a higher level. As much as I personally struggle to use it because at a level where you just get hit by dumb shit it's not that great, you shouldn't buff weapons that you need to get good for in order for the weapon to be good.

23 15
  • 15 May
 Radix

@Lord Petyr Baelish said:
All the players who have actually been playing for a ridiculous amount of time say the Eveningstar is one of the best weapons in the game, and I'm inclined to believe them. It two-shots literally anything and drains the stamina of your opponent super quickly, which is one of the key aspects of a good weapon at a higher level. As much as I personally struggle to use it because at a level where you just get hit by dumb shit it's not that great, you shouldn't buff weapons that you need to get good for in order for the weapon to be good.

Then again stmaina means jack shit in forntline so there is that

114 195

@Radix said:

Then again Frontline is the meme gamemode and nothing is or should be balanced around it so there is that

10 3
  • 15 May
 HoneyBadger

my first match i used the eveningstar with only a lvl 2 body armour i got 40+kills with >2.0 kd
so no i don't think its weak

23 15
  • 15 May
 Radix

@Radix said:

Then again Frontline is the meme gamemode and nothing is or should be balanced around it so there is that

Then even further again, frontline is THE mode that made mordhau popular and profitable. The elitist approach wont do this game any good while the mainstream pays the bills

523 566
  • 15 May
 Deadmode

@Radix said:

@Radix said:

Then even further again, frontline is THE mode that made mordhau popular and profitable. The elitist approach wont do this game any good while the mainstream pays the bills

This is being discussed in another thread. But TL:DR - The game was made by 'elitists' and it's the exact crowd this game was actually made for, FYI.

23 15
  • 15 May
 Radix

@Deadmode said:

@Radix said:

@Radix said:

This is being discussed in another thread. But TL:DR - The game was made by 'elitists' and it's the exact crowd this game was actually made for, FYI.

Too bad it became succesful then I suppose?

523 566
  • 15 May
 Deadmode

@Radix said:

@Deadmode said:

@Radix said:

@Radix said:

For those that think it will change things, yes.

23 15
  • 15 May
 Radix

@Deadmode said:

@Radix said:

@Deadmode said:

@Radix said:

@Radix said:

I wonder if developers share you conviction

114 195

@Radix said:

@Deadmode said:

@Radix said:

@Deadmode said:

@Radix said:

@Radix said:

Let's build the pyramid of Gisa

523 566
  • 15 May
 Deadmode

@Radix said:

The 'elitists' are the core community of this game. There will be a lot new new influx from the success, many of which are on the path to elitism themselves. Fantastic. However there are thousands more casual and fad players, who are just that. The game needs to appeal to its designed and core community first and foremost, otherwise it will go like this:

• Game dumbed down to appeal to new audience
  • Core community leaves
  • Honeymoon period ends, fad players leave for next fad game
  • Casual players move on
  • Game dies

It's the core community that will keep this game alive long after everyone else has moved on to new pastures. Ignore them and you seal the fate of the game.

This is getting off-topic but there is a thread here .

Knight 7631 14008
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

Evenimgstar is worth 8 points for its 1v1 potential alone. Decreasing its cost won't make it better for 1vX, so just leave it alone and accept that it is designed for high single target damage.

Duke 5477 13080
  • 15 May
 Jax — Community Manager

weapons are more or less effective at different levels of play, for example the rapier and the ES

At low level of play (just starting out) the rapier is great because people don't have great defense and you can overwhelm them due to the speed and 3-stab-headshots for a kill. At high level of play (500+ hours) that speed is useless and actually makes it super easy to defend against due to easier reading on feints, the defending player knows how to chamber, and one-dimensional damage model (slashes are garbage), and then its damage/reach is bad compared to weapons like the poleaxe etc.

ES is the opposite - at low levels of play you're not going to be able to utilize what makes it amazing with just basic attacks, and you might be better of defeating lesser skilled opponents with a faster weapon (spear stab feinting until they die), but at higher levels of play the eveningstar is a top-tier weapon because the ability to 2 shot everyone and great offensive potential. The cleave you get with bladed weapons is nice, but good players will consistently parry attacks that go through their teammates so that cleave loses a lot of utility, and having hitstop can actually be a plus.

This isn't bad balance - different weapons and different mechanics are more or less effective at different levels of skill, for example stab feints are great against players who aren't comfortable chambering, but against good players you'll have to morph or use other mechanics to get a hit in.

Take CoD4 or MW2 for an example- the 'noob tube' guarantees an easy kill for new players, but if you're experienced you're actually losing potential kill-output since reload times and DPS compared to using a gun that shoots actual bullets, a good player could take out 3 targets in the same amount of time if they have better aim.

1315 3824

I love you Jax

Mercenary 1855 6979
  • 15 May
 ThunderDuck

Thread summary: OP got fucking dabbed on

23 15
  • 15 May
 Radix

@ThunderDuck said:

This community is quickly becoming worse than rick and morty's, why is it that every time a bunch of people waste ridiculous amounts of time to master an irrelevant gaming skill some sort of elitist aura develops and anyone daring to question the mighty elite must succumb to ridicule.

You guys realise that this is a game and it wont get you a promotion at job?

114 195

@Radix said:

@ThunderDuck said:

This community is quickly becoming worse than rick and morty's, why is it that every time a bunch of people waste ridiculous amounts of time to master an irrelevant gaming skill some sort of elitist aura develops and anyone daring to question the mighty elite must succumb to ridicule.

You guys realise that this is a game and it wont get you a promotion at job?

Why is it that every time a game is made people with 5 minutes of experience tell you how you should balance it?

2 2
  • 15 May
 Meingott

The eveningstar is a great 1v1 weapon. Looks beast too

Usually will top duel servers here in asia. Come at me saracens.

mordhau

I loved using the final tier mace in chivalry, and feel right at home with the eveningstar.