Mordhau

Change my mind: Eveningstar is not worth 8 points

38 17
 Marcus
Title

8 points for a 90 range, two shot weapon? Why not just pick up the battleaxe for 2 points less or the executioner's sword for 1 less point which is better in every way except thrusts. Really the only thing the eveningstar has going for it is a stronger thrust attack against the head.

Battleaxe vs Eveningstar

• Is faster
  • Has multi-hit
  • Costs 2 less points
  • Nearly identical hits-to-kill but trades two-shotting T3 body armor for multi-hit

Executioner's Sword vs Eveningstar

• Is faster
  • Has multi-hit
  • Is MUCH longer
  • Costs 1 less point
  • Better hits-to-kill, also one-shots T0 foot armor and two-shots T1 foot armor

Eveningstar

Cost: 8 points
Length: 90cm
Speed: 675 windup, 850 combo, 475 release, 700 recovery
Stop on Hit: YES
Strike damage...
Head Dmg: 100 / 100 / 72 / 70
Body Dmg: 62 / 59 / 57 / 55
Feet Dmg: 57 / 44 / 42 / 40
Thrust damage...
Head Dmg: 60 / 55 / 51/ 50
Body Dmg: 45 / 40 / 36 / 35
Feet Dmg: 40 / 30 / 26 / 25

Battleaxe

Cost: 6 points
Length: 90cm
Speed: 625 windup, 825 combo, 500 release, 700 recovery
Stop on Hit: NO
Strike damage...
Head Dmg: 100 / 100 / 68 / 60
Body Dmg: 75 / 62 / 53 / 45
Feet Dmg: 65 / 47 / 38 / 30
Thrust damage...
Head Dmg: 23 / 22/ 21 / 20
Body Dmg: 13 / 12 / 11/ 10
Feet Dmg: 13 / 7 / 6 / 5

Executioner's Sword

Cost: 7 points
Length: 110cm
Speed: 650 windup, 850 combo, 500 release, 700 recovery
Stop on Hit: NO
Strike damage...
Head Dmg: 100 / 100 / 80 / 70
Body Dmg: 100 / 90 / 60 / 50
Feet Dmg: 100 / 60 / 45 / 35
Thrust damage...
Head Dmg: 50 / 45 / 30 / 25
Body Dmg: 35 / 30 / 20 / 15
Feet Dmg: 25 / 15 / 10 / 10

529 278

I thought I liked it, but I haven't used my evening star mace merc for days..... it definitely feels lacking =/ And the only mace guys I see are in the default merc skin =/ Hardly see anyone with a custom made guy using it. Maybe it should do something useful, like break hands when you parry it with a little dagger, or knock shielders on their ass, or leg sweep people with a leg shot, or actually do something interesting.

38 17
  • 14 May
 Marcus

@Christian2222 said:
I thought I liked it, but I haven't used my evening star mace merc for days..... it definitely feels lacking =/ And the only mace guys I see are in the default merc skin =/ Hardly see anyone with a custom made guy using it. Maybe it should do something useful, like break hands when you parry it with a little dagger, or knock shielders on their ass, or leg sweep people with a leg shot, or actually do something interesting.

I've put probably 30+ hours into the eveningstar, about half in duels and half in frontline. I wanted to love it, I really did, mostly because of the sick looking 50,000 gold skin it has. Truth is I loathe using it now that I've used the battleaxe in frontlines, which is so much better for 1vX. I'm almost always in the top 3 on my team when I use the battleaxe in frontline, K/D usually 2:1, when I pick the eveningstar I usually end up with a 1:1 K/D and not as high on the scoreboard.

In duels it might have a place though, the two-shot thrust attack against the head is not to be underestimated, and it can two-shot thrust against the body if you use it in alt-fire mode which lowers the length from 90cm to 60m -- 60cm is maul range.

Mercenary 1845 6968
  • 14 May
 ThunderDuck

Executioner's sword can't combo, also Eveningstar has much stronger stabs than Battle Axe

Knight 61 42
  • 14 May
 Optimates

My vote is in the next patch it's changed to a 7 cost. I think that is what it is worth.

395 451

lol eveningstar is the best weapon out there, insane damage and eats up stamina of your opponent. It was banned recently in the mordhua tournament.

38 17
  • 14 May
 Marcus

@JasonBourne said:
lol eveningstar is the best weapon out there, insane damage and eats up stamina of your opponent. It was banned recently in the mordhua tournament.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/14267/closed-beta-tournament/

I hate having to ban anything intended for ingame use. And as such I used the polls to get player feed back what you want. So Halberd, Cleaver and Messer are back in. Just the Evening star will be the only weapon banned for this tournament. Next tournament we shall see it back in. I'm confident it will be a ready then.

So it's only good in duels? Good luck getting into a stam fight in frontline. Rare to have someone alone for the minute it takes to drain their stam.

Knight 693 1590
  • 14 May
 das

Has a LETHAL, versatile stab rather than a purely flinching one. Exec Sword stab is just pitiful, Battle Axe stab only serves the purpose of flinching.

Eveningstar is significantly more likely to 2HTK plate than Battle Axe in practical situations. Exec Sword cannot 2HTK off a torso strike + stab headshot.

Since the stab is slower and actually threatening damage wise, the ES's threatening range is kinda longer in a sense.

529 278

Or just one shot full armors with a maul =/. I dunno, maybe I should give it another chance. also the stab is only good in the alt mode isn't it?

38 17
  • 15 May
 Marcus

@das said:
Since the stab is slower and actually threatening damage wise, the ES's threatening range is kinda longer in a sense.

Yeah in duel mode for sure. But people give me a MUCH wider berth in frontlines when I'm 720 noscope combo swinging the battle axe like a madman. They rush in when you swing the eveningstar in a similar fashion. I can see it's gonna be tough balancing this game for all the modes they've created.

529 278

So does anyone actually use this on FRONTLINE, AND TDM games? Or the only people thinking it's good only use it in duels?

90 78
  • 15 May
 SushiFish

Least the Eveningstar has a powerful thrust compared to the other weapons shown in the post.Screenshot_1.png

395 451
  • 15 May
 JasonBourne

@Marcus said:

@JasonBourne said:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/14267/closed-beta-tournament/

Whats ur point ?

301 875
  • 15 May
 Naleaus

People are discounting hitstop as a bad thing. It negates the need to CFTP in a 1vX, and allows better mixups than combos, as you can morph a very fast follow up after a successful attack. It's a very strong weapon.

12 6
  • 15 May
 Beffagorn

In all the games i've played, balancing around dueling tournaments has always been an incredibly bad idea, especially when said tournaments have polls for deciding what is banned and what isn't. The only pass i'd give there, is banning shields.

While the Eveningstar is good for dueling, and i completely agree with that, i feel that is kind of underwhelming when playing in either frontline or small scale fights (between 4 and 8). I've had much more success with either a Maul or a Battleaxe.

Even in duels, i feel like the Executioner Sword is the better choice (for me, at least) thanks to superior speed and reach. Yes, it has a bad thrust, but It's also 1 point cheaper.

I think the cost should be reduced to 7. It's nowhere near to being a weak weapon, but imo, the 8points investment isn't worth it.

Count 131 218
  • 15 May
 Pariah

@Optimates said:
My vote is in the next patch it's changed to a 7 cost. I think that is what it is worth.

This.

1308 2875
  • 15 May
 Monsteri

Eveningstar is an S tier weapon in both duels and teamfights. It's only a poor weapon compared to long cleaving ones in pubs, and that is because the average joe can't defend themselves from the simplest of drags or anticipate that a teammate might fail to parry. Point cost also matters nothing as long as you can afford 3/3/X, so ES is in the clear.

Count 131 218
  • 15 May
 Pariah

@Monsteri said:
Eveningstar is an S tier weapon in both duels and teamfights. It's only a poor weapon compared to long cleaving ones in pubs, and that is because the average joe can't defend themselves from the simplest of drags or anticipate that a teammate might fail to parry. Point cost also matters nothing as long as you can afford 3/3/X, so ES is in the clear.

Agree here, you can pull off a 3/3/2 + ES loadout which is pretty strong, but I'd still like to see the impact shaving off a point would have in testing. Especially if the perk system plays any part in comp TO/FL in the future.

210 197
  • 15 May
 recurf

Eveningtstar is a beast

90 78
  • 15 May
 SushiFish

Perks seem to be permitted in scrims at the moment.