Mordhau

Is it too early to bring up the conversation of adding early firearms to Mordhau potentially in the future?

9 20
  • 14 May
 Timur

Now here me out, the two major influences for Mordhau, Chivalry (with Pirates in Deadliest Warrior DLC) and Mount & Blade (with fire and sword which shares the same period with much of Mordhau's content) both saw the appearance of early firearms.

Now many people might say to me "Timur this is a medieval sword fighting game firearms don't fit this period." Well.. You'd largely be wrong. You see at least half of the armor/weapons if not more in Mordhau are actually from the early renaissance (1400s and 1500s). After-all plate armor wasn't as seen in game until the 1400s some even later into the early 1500s, an era where early firearms were found throughout Europe.

6eea3394aa6604c55567dff5fc5368df.jpg This is a historical Angus Mcbride illustration of 1430s Hussites, as you see their infantry who wear armor similar to that seen in Mordhau, are equipped with hand cannons.

The famous Landsknechte which we see the weapons and armor of in game were most prevalent in the 16th century. They were very commonly equipped with Matchlock Muskets as were common in Europe by the end of the 1400s.

1365220557001.jpg In this historical illustration, again by Angus Mcbride, of early 1500s Landsknechte you can see the left mercenary wearing armor that resembles what we would see in Mordhau, carries a Matchlock Musket.

The next logical question is, wouldn't a Musket be over powered? Well in Mount Blade with Fire & Sword multiplayer we see Matchlock Muskets though very lethal, if given a longer reload than Crossbows or Bows are well countered by said ranged weapons, and a sword wielding player can avoid being shot and rush the opponent. Instead a Hand Cannon or Matchlock user in Mordhau could not run havoc alone and would often have to revert to using their weapon as a blunt club by pressing R, or switching to a dagger.

Of course the devs are currently ironing out their game at the moment and not looking to add major content yet, but I think it's important to get this conversation going, and hopefully keep it on people's mind.

Knight 693 1584
  • 14 May
 das

Been addressed before, it's not coming in for many reasons, some as simple as it being an innately repellent idea to melee players and devs not wanting to voluntarily tackle a balance nightmare.

62 153

Yes it's too early. Balancing archery is difficult enough, adding high-damage hitscan weapons is even worse.

I'm surprised anyone who played chivalry: deadliest warrior thinks of the pirates fondly (beyond the voice commands).

9 20
  • 14 May
 Timur

@das said:
Been addressed before, it's not coming in for many reasons, some as simple as it being an innately repellent idea to melee players and devs not wanting to voluntarily tackle a balance nightmare.

I think both those statements have pretty good counter arguments. The Balancing would really not be a nightmare at all, it would be surprisingly easy as seen in Chivalry Deadliest Warrior and especially M&T with fire and sword, and I couldn't imagine it being any more repellent to melee players than Bows, Crossbows, Ballistas, and Catapults.

114 192

The problem with guns is either:

1.)they are late guns, with great accuracy, damage and range, in which case the other ranged weapons are pointless and every match turns into a shooting game because who would choose a sword vs a gun

2.)they are early guns, with poor accuracy(and with this, range) but great damage, in which case they'd be weapons which are completely useless at range, and because of the poor accuracy you couldn't even train to become a good gunner, you'd just be an rng slot machine that might oneshot some dude running at you.

101 172
  • 14 May
 Sektor

hell fucking no

529 278

What if it was just a special item? Like catapult, 1 per team, limited ammo, wouldn't be too bad, ( and you know how much I hate projectiles.) See how open minded I am? Instead of just shitting on this guys idea?

31 31
  • 14 May
 Saoirse

Guns just honestly don't fit and I think it would throw the balance around too much, especially when there is already the balancing of bows that needs to be addressed.

66 91
  • 14 May
 SoRoofless

I think there are enough projectiles in the game as it is, as much as I would enjoy firing an imaginary elephant gun

1 1
  • 14 May
 NoStrings

Please, no. This is not that game. Mordhau is about melee combat and it does it really well. Let's not ruin it by adding firearms. There are plenty of other FPS games for that.

1 0

About to bump this old post, since I've deemed it not only acceptable, but necessary to weigh-in with my opinion.

This may be a game with a first-person (and third-person) POV, however, it's not a traditional FPS game.

This game has no reasonable place for black-powder firearms, despite the historical era in which it is based. There's already enough balancing issues, not to mention there's already enough ways to use projectiles, such as: ballistas, cannons, catapults, bows, crossbows, thrown weapons (javelins, axes, knives, rocks), small blades, horse dung, etc.

My recommendation? If you truly desire firearms as much as this post leads me to believe, then go play Chivalry, Mount & Blade, Verdun, Day of Infamy, Rising Storm 2, Insurgency, or any of the other games further saturating that already over-saturated market, and if it boils down to wanting to use firearms within the engine used for Mordhau, then go develop a traditional FPS for yourself with the engine.

Seriously, who in the right mind would suggest this for a game such as Mordhau? I'm not trying to be an ass here, but are you trolling? You're trolling, right? You must be trolling!

35 62

@Papagenu said:
Seriously, who in the right mind would suggest this for a game such as Mordhau? I'm not trying to be an ass here, but are you trolling? You're trolling, right? You must be trolling!

It's a perfectly fine suggestion, if one that is almost impossible to properly balance- there's nothing disingenuous or malicious in the original poster bringing it up.

As far as the material at hand. Arquebuses, muskets, and any sort of self ignited gun are absolutely out of context for Mordhau. At the very best I could see them as map pickups, but even then what amounts to an armor-piercing hitscan crossbow would be cancer of the worst order. As something like a crossbow skin, though, I'd be fine with it (indeed, would go nicely w/ a Landsknecht build).

Hand cannons as regular weapons would work; perhaps fulfilling a "portable artillery" niche. You'd have to set them on a surface or wall to get the best usage, with either heavy sway or entirely disabled otherwise; and being hand ignited there'd be a "windup" of sorts so it wouldn't be terribly point and shoot. Maul of the ranged weapons, basically; with a high point cost and fairly low ammo as a matter of course.

104 47

i still hope they nerf longrange shiz into nirvana, and then these guys come up with such ideas... one hell of a forum ^^

35 62

@CarnifeX said:
i still hope they nerf longrange shiz into nirvana, and then these guys come up with such ideas... one hell of a forum ^^

More than they already have? Chiv had archer options that could reliably onehit its light classes' torsos; the most powerful (raw damage wise) long-ranged weapon in Mordhau, the crossbow, deals 60 at absolute most (unarmored torso) discounting headshots. Archers are relegated to assists and counter-archery for the most part. That seems like a good choice.

Nerfing them further runs contrary to the Frontline/Invasion aim of grand battles with all sorts of options; if you really can't stand their presence, and prefer your individual skill and melee, why not play ranked or any other mode where they're already not present/banned (as are fire bombs, horses, engineers, artillery, etc.)