Mordhau

Shield Side Story: Buckler and Targe

39 45
  • 14 May
 RyMarq

How do people feel these two shields are?

For me, they seem too weak in comparison to the held shields. I want to want these, but it mostly feels like I am just gimping myself when I have a targe one one of my characters. I keep it up under the hope that it will be a good idea some day, but I am trading smaller shield size and no ability to hold it out (the main power of a shield) for... 1 stamina on block? The turn rate is in theory higher, but I have never noticed the difference ever.

Is there a real tactic that takes advantage of these shields or are they actually the gimmicks they seem to be (compared to other shields)?

104 70
  • 14 May
 urm

afaik they are almost completely useless. the only real reason to use them is to improve your stamina drain during parrying, but most weapons already have the same/better stamina drain. so pair them with a dagger, I guess, otherwise don't bother

9 20
  • 14 May
 Timur

The buckler works perfectly the way it is, the Targe however I believe should at least have a much larger window to parry than a regular sword.

Knight 917 2523
  • 14 May
 Pred

Don't know the stats on Targe, but Buckler saves you 3 stamina on parry, combine that with stam on hit from 1h weapons and you can now outstam Poleaxe or Greatsword.

Targe also lets you hide your attacks.

In comparison to big shields it may be not that much, but Kite and Heater are pretty much game-breaking bugs in this state and shouldn't be taken into account of overall balance.

39 45
  • 15 May
 RyMarq

So is the agreement really that other shields are so OP that these things can just go and suck it?

Assuming the two categories of shield were balanced against each-other, what would this have as its leverage? Better stamina on block? How much would it take for these to be valid choices rather than just upgrading to a 2h weapon? The norm for 2h weapons is 12 or 13, the same as buckler or targe, and I dont think 1h weapons are a better weapon than 2h options, so it would seem this choice makes you lose out on all fronts.

Is it price? Should these pairs be the discount version of a 2h weapon?

529 278

Just make it so you can throw them. Worth :)

7 4
  • 28 May
 Spychopat

I just don't understand why we can't hold buckler or targe. What is it making them so you just physically can't hold them in front of your face ?? They are already smaller shields, so why making them even worse ? Heater shield is the way to go.
If we could hold those, i would probably use those on some loadout for cosmetic purpose. For example, the targe on a viking build, or the buckler with the rapier. But for now... no thank you xD

Knight 693 1581
  • 28 May
 das

@Spychopat said:
I just don't understand why we can't hold buckler or targe.

Same principle on why we can't just hold parries with 2-handers in this game even if you technically could in real life. Holding parries with a buckler is silly because people will just hit around it. I'm no expert, but IIRC bucklers (and shields in general when not part of some formation) were meant to be very "active" with how they intercepted attacks and doubled as weapons. Look at the size of that thing, really seems more suitable for pushing away and deflecting things rather than absorbing blows head on. Gameplay wise, getting to use a shield while maintaining parry risk-and-reward gameplay just feels nice aesthetically. Targe and buckler will be buffed in the future though.

777 1029

they seem experimental... and out of place mechanically.

They could operate a totally different way, or be deleted from the game entirely, I doubt anyone would care or even notice lol

Knight 693 1581
  • 28 May
 das

You're not wrong. They were added incredibly late and it's unspoken but accepted knowledge that they're incredibly WIP right now.