Mordhau

chat in mordhau dont need any filter/moderation

178 188
  • 15 May
 Roag

I mean there are explicit rules re: chat moderation... the whole idea behind a chat filter is it removes the grey area for mods as to when to step in and when not to. No one likes being told what they can/can't say, but the devs need to enforce their rules, having a chat filter would make everything a bit easier, especially for the mods

4 1
  • 15 May
 Amish

Imagine Drake is playing Mordhau, with 628k people watching him play, and then the N word is dropped 50 times in chat.

With the major success of the game, you're going to have a wide range of people playing Mordhau from casual players to competitive. I think it's very believable that a percentage of the casual population do not want to see hate speech about certain ethnicities or genders while they are trying to play a video game. As we know the team that created this game is on the smaller side, and manually sending reports to them & the moderation team is only putting a bandaid after the injury occurred. Having a chat filter (be it toggleable or not) will help decrease this, as if someone can't type racial slurs, then there's no need for those reports anymore.

What I would like to know is why anyone would be against a toggleable chat filter? What harm does this have you in any way?

@muNt said:

@Amish said:
Agreed. It would be nice for there to be some sort of chat filter to help prevent the racism in the chat.

unagreed, why

Knight 7442 13578
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

Except those rules are for official servers, not private. Mandatory shit, if it's going to be added, should only be on official servers.

101 169
  • 15 May
 Sektor

Games that require effort and are competitive in nature will always have trash talk. No better feeling than killing the fucker who killed you 3 times in a row and then pointing at his corpse and typing EZ in the chat for the lols. Trash talk has been existing in real sports since forever and will continue to exist in any kind of competitive environment. Sick and tired of snowflakes getting hurt by words nowdays, hello kitty online is there for you, go play that. Can't change the nature of a man or how he expresses his victory or dissapointment. Also stop trying to make this a black lives matters game, you're probably white, cry about your own issues.

15 9

@Amish said:
Imagine Drake is playing Mordhau, with 628k people watching him play, and then the N word is dropped 50 times in chat.

With the major success of the game, you're going to have a wide range of people playing Mordhau from casual players to competitive. I think it's very believable that a percentage of the casual population do not want to see hate speech about certain ethnicities or genders while they are trying to play a video game. As we know the team that created this game is on the smaller side, and manually sending reports to them & the moderation team is only putting a bandaid after the injury occurred. Having a chat filter (be it toggleable or not) will help decrease this, as if someone can't type racial slurs, then there's no need for those reports anymore.

What I would like to know is why anyone would be against a toggleable chat filter? What harm does this have you in any way?

@muNt said:

@Amish said:
Agreed. It would be nice for there to be some sort of chat filter to help prevent the racism in the chat.

unagreed, why

Official servers at least need a higher level of moderation, be it a filter or in-game moderators or whatever. I've seen pretty rampant abuse, and derogatory language / epithets and it certainly won't help this game grow or reach a wider audience. It's also just unpleasant for the current player base.

210 196
  • 15 May
 recurf

There is 0 reason for any1 to use racial slurs like,
nigger, kike, chink ect.....

I have seen all of these used multiple times, its just uncalled for.
Tbh you could make a joke out of it by adding a parser that changes the word to another word. Some words just dont need to be typed at all.

Knight 7442 13578
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

@recurf said:

Wtf there's 0 reason to use those words why did you just use them you n

210 196
  • 15 May
 recurf

@ToLazy4Name said:

@recurf said:

Lol, I mean in the game chat obviously.

Knight 7442 13578
  • 15 May
 ToLazy4Name

@recurf said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@recurf said:

Lol, I mean in the game chat obviously.

Oh so it's cool to do it here got it my ni

64 91
  • 15 May
 SoRoofless

What an interesting thread. I learned a lot of philosophy from reading it!

1244 1281

@Sektor said:
Games that require effort and are competitive in nature will always have trash talk. No better feeling than killing the fucker who killed you 3 times in a row and then pointing at his corpse and typing EZ in the chat for the lols. Trash talk has been existing in real sports since forever and will continue to exist in any kind of competitive environment. Sick and tired of snowflakes getting hurt by words nowdays, hello kitty online is there for you, go play that. Can't change the nature of a man or how he expresses his victory or dissapointment. Also stop trying to make this a black lives matters game, you're probably white, cry about your own issues.

When I put poop in your mailbox it won't kill you and it won't hurt you. But you'd be all for restricting it.
You can brag about your tolerance all you want, but it's missing the point. It's not about trash talk and never has been.
I'm not saying that chat filters and moderation are good or necessary. But your arguments are really weak.

• 15 May
 Sektor
This comment was deleted.
  • 15 May
 Sektor
This comment was deleted.
101 169
  • 15 May
 Sektor

@Sektor said:

@Sektor said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Sektor said:
blablabla

When I put poop in your mailbox it won't kill you and it won't hurt you. But you'd be all for restricting it.
You can brag about your tolerance all you want, but it's missing the point. It's not about trash talk and never has been.
I'm not saying that chat filters and moderation are good or necessary. But your arguments are really weak.

There is no arguement. People will always trashtalk. Even if you filter the chat, they will add on steam and do it. I am obviously against someone using racial slurs because its tasteless and the purpose is to cut deep, but I won't act shocked or act like I give a shit. If only I could count of how many people called me 'broke greek' on chat I would still be counting. Not having a thick skin is a bad thing, and if people feel bad about how someone treats them online then they obviously have issues outside of the 'online'. There is a chat window tick box, untick it. That's all you need it to do. Yesterday I had someone asking my real life address because I TKed him while he TKed me before about 4 times with the catapult. Should I go to the police? Should I drag his name here? Please grow the fuck up. And that does not go to you, it goes to people with this whiny crying snowflake mentality.

Duke 536 881
  • 15 May
 Goatie

Honestly chiv lasted so long because of the toxic chat lol. It's always entertaining and fascinating to see how screwed up some people are. Trash talk also makes you play better it's a fact.

777 1028

Exactly, bans and censorship doesn't do anything to solve the problem, just on top of the natural toxicity there are now bans making people more toxic. And people purposefully trying to get you to do something that'd get you banned by pissing you off. And i don't even blame them, i consider it a form of protest.

4 1
  • 16 May
 Amish

@Sektor said:

@Sektor said:

@Sektor said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Sektor said:
blablabla

There is no arguement. People will always trashtalk. Even if you filter the chat, they will add on steam and do it. I am obviously against someone using racial slurs because its tasteless and the purpose is to cut deep, but I won't act shocked or act like I give a shit. If only I could count of how many people called me 'broke greek' on chat I would still be counting. Not having a thick skin is a bad thing, and if people feel bad about how someone treats them online then they obviously have issues outside of the 'online'. There is a chat window tick box, untick it. That's all you need it to do. Yesterday I had someone asking my real life address because I TKed him while he TKed me before about 4 times with the catapult. Should I go to the police? Should I drag his name here? Please grow the fuck up. And that does not go to you, it goes to people with this whiny crying snowflake mentality.

I think the majority of people agree that trashtalking is not where the concern is, but rather the issue is specific words and phrases that are not mutually exclusive to trash talking, such as racism. It seems like we both agree that some change should be taken against these types of communication.

Goatie

Honestly chiv lasted so long because of the toxic chat lol. It's always entertaining and fascinating to see how screwed up some people are. Trash talk also makes you play better it's a fact.

Odd, I don't remember that being the reason my friends and I played for so many years.

smellycathawk

Exactly, bans and censorship doesn't do anything to solve the problem, just on top of the natural toxicity there are now bans making people more toxic. And people purposefully trying to get you to do something that'd get you banned by pissing you off. And i don't even blame them, i consider it a form of protest.

How are bans making people more toxic? If you are removed from the game, what can you do to people that are in the game?

1244 1281

@Sektor said:

This is more reasonable. It goes more in the direction of "filters and moderation won't change a thing" instead of "spouting racial slurs is in our nature and everyone is and should be an asshole". Much more agreeable.
I still think there should be some kind of moderation and punishment for severe abuse. An obvious example would be doxxing in combination with murder/rape threats. Of course that case is a pretty clear-cut and the lines will get blurry in others.

Also I see no harm in simple filters although I would probably keep them deactivated.

8 5
  • 18 May
 GreyCoyote

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Sektor said:

This is more reasonable. It goes more in the direction of "filters and moderation won't change a thing" instead of "spouting racial slurs is in our nature and everyone is and should be an asshole". Much more agreeable.
I still think there should be some kind of moderation and punishment for severe abuse. An obvious example would be doxxing in combination with murder/rape threats. Of course that case is a pretty clear-cut and the lines will get blurry in others.

Also I see no harm in simple filters although I would probably keep them deactivated.

in my personal opinion, those things fall into "harassment" wich, again, in my opinion, is a completely different topic.

one thing is to come into the server saying hi ala etika (it seems these days its heresy to say it, but you know how etika says hi anyways, i dont see the point on hiding the "n word" even to give an example, i think its stupid, but i guess i dont want to get banned.), yes, it would offend some people, but its not with bad intention.

ANOTHER thing is to start doxing and rage-PMing someone.