Mordhau

Chase Mechanic

5 1

First, i have to name one facts about the game:
It sais about itselfe that its realistic.

Now a simple question: Who runs faster:
A person, wearing no armor at all and being pumped with adrenaline because it fears death

OR:

A person swinging a weapon wearing full plate armor.

Because of the chase mechanic its the plate armor that runs faster. and thats not only unfair for the longbows, its also unfair for the other characters that want to rely on speed or even engineers. how are they supposed to do their job if a tanky warrior chases them while they only have a hammer for repairing, a tool box to fortify and a medikit to aid their allies. why are they slower? please explain that.

24 18
  • 12 May
 nf_straydog

if you don't want to die as an archer you should position yourself better and stay near allies that can defend you instead of trying to be legolas. the chase mechanic is in to prevent things like exactly what you describe, archers and engineers being invincible to melee. the developers have never claimed that they want a game that is truly realistic, they wanted a realistic presentation and mechanics that are good for game health. sonic the hedgehog archers who run away faster than melee and turn around to fire arrows would not be good for game health.

5 1

have you every played engineer? i know how dangerous it can be to make archers too strong, but im not talking about the archer balancing, im talking about the chase mechanic. thats not only unfair for ranges and engineers, its also unfair for melee. i think archers are annoying. and i also think archers are not fun to play. but i enjoyed playing engineer as long as i had a lack of knowledge about the game. but now that i know "as soon as a melee wants to kill me, im dead" i dont enjoy it anymore. the only valid class right now is melee imo. i even have a character with full armor and skills, no weapons. no archer can do anything against me since they cant kill me. is that fair?

24 18

again, if you are getting caught out by melee, it is a problem of positional awareness, not of the chase mechanic. having no chase mechanic would allow one unarmored peasant to stall skirmish games indefinitely by outrunning everyone. running away is inherently passive and making passive options stronger than proactive options makes games very stale. why do you want to buff running away? the game is about engagement and combat. why should running away be a viable strategy? if you can't run to teammates, you are too far away from your teammates and probably trying to be rambo.

EDIT: the longbow still kills heavy armor in 2 headshots or 3 body shots, so I'm not sure what world you live in where heavy armor makes you unkillable by archers.

5 1

If its too strong to run away, why did people in real life wear armor then? Wouldnt it make "skirmish fights" too strong?
Sorry but your arguments are only speaking for brute force, not for strategy. If you say "the group with stronger melee fighters should win" you also say "there is no place for engineers in this game". because engineers are not fighters. they are strategians. its already very hard for them because of the many paths they have to block. ladders that cant be removed, gates that cant be locked, bridges that cant be destroyed and the pathes they block 1: need time, 2: are destroyed by simply throwing a firebomb or punching it 2-3 times. why is retreat and gather at a better position not possible? because of the chase mechanic. you CANT regather your troops. its just go in and fight at the moment, making this game only hack n slay, not strategic.

24 18
  • 12 May
 nf_straydog

skirmishers WERE really strong, the mongolians conquered basically the whole continent with mounted archery. the problem with running away irl is that cavalry would run you down without a formation. the problem with allowing running away to be faster than chasing in a game is that it encourages running away as a prevalent tactic, and that makes for a very annoying game that is no longer about engaging and fighting, but about running away and plinking with arrows.

if your problem is that it's too hard to coordinate with teammates to move and protect engineers while they build emplacements, I agree. the lack of voice chat makes it very difficult to play strategically, frontline is very chaotic. that is not a problem with the chase mechanic, but the problem of trying to get 32 people to accomplish a task with no communication. making engineers run faster and be able to avoid ever being killed by melee would not solve that problem.

5 1

we are around 5-8 people average when we are playing and are speaking on discord. even the melees hate the chase mechanic and say its unrealistic ( you cant deny the lack of realism in that).
the only reason NOT wearing an armor right now is the points. but in real life there were no points. in fact, do you know how expensive these armors are and how heavy? they still were worn by the armys because of their PROTECTION. what is the point in giving someone protection AND faster movement speed?
you say archers have to positionate themselfes better. do you think you can win a battle with only a bow vs a melee fighter? i dont think so. even if the melee fighter DOESNT throw his weapons and does NOT have a shield. he still can parry the arrows (there are actually tests made on youtube with a 40lbs bow if its possible to block them. iam archer myselfe in real lifee and know that they are much stronger on a medieval battlefield, so even harder to parry).

13 7
  • 12 May
 spoopbeats

This is a game, not real life. Yes, the devs said it was realistic, but what that means is that it has some realistic properties, not that it completely mimics reality. If you want such perfect realism, go LARP or something. But, Mordhau will be balanced as a GAME, as a game should, and prioritize fun and enjoyment.

16 1
  • 12 May
 Changeling

There should be Weight stat to affect overall speed. But then you should make heavy armour viable, by re-balancing the whole game.
That's another game you want. Maybe a good old Mount and Blade shield system where shield has a maximum durability.

That way shield users could either loose their shield to low stamina OR have it broken into pieces.

Shields are fine how they are now. When I see a Shields I know the fight will be harder. But when i see Rapier, I don't even try to run. I spam stab+kick in hope to land any blow and get some points out of it.

Yeah i'm something of a noob myself.

God Emperor 90 521

Could just turn off the chase mechanic on frontline if you don't want it on skirmish since the goal isn't to eliminate players but to capture zones. The chase mechanic actually encourages you not to play strategically. You're in frontline in a 3vs3 your teammates die and so you're now in a 1vs3. The option to run away and group up with your teammates isn't possible because you'll just get attacked from behind. So you just try to rambo and take them down yourself which is encouraged by perks such as bloodlust and second wind. Wouldn't you think it more strategic to retreat to your team so that you can help in team fights?

13 7
  • 12 May
 spoopbeats

You think people shouldn't be punished for losing a 3v3 and overextending? If there was no chase mechanic, everyone could just run away for free and confronting people would have no risk. The game would become a game of hit and run. Unlike what you're saying, it actually is possible to run away sometimes, especially with tricky movement, making use of obstacles, turning around and fighting a bit before running again, etc. You're exaggerating the potency of the mechanic. If you want to run away that badly, get bear traps, smoke bombs or fire bombs. Don't you think that'd be more strategic than just running away?

523 566
  • 12 May
 Deadmode

People forget the combat and mechanics in this game have been refined and thoroughly tested with the alpha and beta players, most of which were/are very experienced chiv players etc. The chase mechanic is there because it encourages the gameplay the developers and players want - combat.

Being able to flee would mean that players can permanently evade and never be caught, which ruins duels and team games especially when ranged builds are in play.

The ONLY issue I have with the chase mechanic is that it kicks in WAY too quickly. This means that, for example, I run out of the castle tower in Grad stables into 4 enemy who immediately charge for me - I cannot turn tail and relocate to the tower stairwell to stand a better chance because I will have been caught and backstabbed before the doorway. It should take a second or two to kick in giving the fleeing player at least a CHANCE to pick a better fighting spot or apply a bandage before you are cut down.

God Emperor 90 521

If there was no chase mechanic there would be more weight to armor choices. Lighter armor would give you an easier time disengaging and engaging against heavy armor.

Ranged builds are a lot weaker in Mordhau compared to Chivalry. There's cavalry, the huntsman perk, parrying projectiles, you drop your weapon when hit, and projectiles don't flinch. Archers are more like a support class that 1 shot each other and for picking off enemies during teamfights. If that player ran heavy armor melee they'd probably get more kills and be more of a nuisance to your team.

Again, frontline is not about racking up kills but about capturing zones.

529 278

Yes but then archers could just kite all day, you need to be able to catch the fuckers.

529 278

Question, when exactly does a chase mechanic initiate?

Knight 253 682
  • 13 May
 Iodine

Chase mechanic kicks in if
1) both of you are sprinting
2) you're staring at your targets back for roughly a second

954 302

@MantelIndustyle said:

A person, wearing no armor at all and being pumped with adrenaline because it fears death

OR:

Because of the chase mechanic its the plate armor that runs faster. and thats not only unfair for the longbows, its also unfair for the other characters that want to rely on speed or even engineers. how are they supposed to do their job if a tanky warrior chases them while they only have a hammer for repairing, a tool box to fortify and a medikit to aid their allies. why are they slower? please explain that.

i actually have ran in full plate and when i got really pumped up i could go really fast nearly as fast as a full sprint but just not able to do it as long

90 78
  • 14 May
 SushiFish

While I do think the chase mechanic is important in order to prevent light armored targets from cheesing you completely, or archers just doing their hit and run. I think the current chase mechanic is a bit too much to the point where you cannot make a slight retreat to regain your balance before three enemies suddenly teleports behind you and swings at you.

It's much needed, but it shouldn't feel too much.

Knight 365 628

@MantelIndustyle said:

OR:

Technically speaking Medieval knights were rarely cunkly tanks that were slow to move, infact they were alot more noisey than they are heavy.
See: https://www.facebook.com/Thrillist/videos/10155427344020891/

If you were to make naked sprinters faster you'd see the return of untouchable tomato builds.
Besides this is mordhau you're fight to fight for your survival not run away.

Or you could always sidesprint, it wont trigger the chase mechanic in your enemy.

1332 3845

people people this can all be settled in a very simple way just get better at fighting if I can beat down 2 fully armored knights with polearms using only a blacksmiths hammer / dagger you can do it to