Mordhau

Chivalry is a better game currently

162 104

@FlyingTesticle said:

I do agree though that the current maps quickly (after 100 hours) become boring and am highly looking forward to the city map and whatever comes as well. More game modes wouldn't hurt either.

I think thats not the maps or frontlines fault. Every gamemode would get boring fast, if you had only 4 maps available playing on it. If they add constantly more maps, then it will feel more interesting, especially if modder will be allowed to make custom maps in the future. Because the core gameplay of this game is solid and very fun to do.

I think the different areas on the maps are beautifull designed, with a good eye for little details:

• bushes to hide in
  • houses or stoneformations where you can climb ontop
  • hanging bridge with a hole in the middle
  • a diagonal hanging rope elevator where a platform can slide down and you can make an escape if you get overrun.
  • a river which separates both sides and is on some areas close enough so that you can jump over
  • fallen over siege towers where you can hide in, behind or climb ontop of it to snipe from there
  • a lot of vertical gameplay with a lot of possibility to switch between highground and lowground fast
  • multiple routes to take, if one of the routes gets camped to hard

The only thing bad about the maps is that some of them are build to much in favor for one of the sides. Like Taiga where the red side gets basically a fort behind a river to hide in, while the other side has to cross the river and take the fort. Or Mountain Peak where the one side in the castle can get easily spawn camped. But thats nothing which you cant change with little map tweaks.

@FlyingTesticle said:
On Archers:

A friend of mine has played archers almost exclusively and has way over 1000 hours on Rust which has similar bow mechanics, i.e. he is a very good shot.... Yet, as you said, he is at high middle of the list at best.

Maybe there could be some extra points given for archers for long hits?
Like using distance as a score multiplier on successful hits and kills?

Thats one thing which is very annoying as archer. You get so many assists. Because you have to hit most enemies at least 3 times if you dont hit the head perfectly every time, so that it is highly likely someone else kills your target, before you can do the final shot, especially because pulling the longbow string takes 1.2 seconds everytime you aim. And if your target gets out of sight you can only hold the bowstring for 3 seconds and then you have to reaim again. I like that its skillfull like that, but having low bow damage,very slow flying arrows, a bow pulling time of 1.2 seconds and the aim restriction of 3 seconds all together at the same time is just to much. I could live with almost all of that, if at least the arrows would fly faster.

But i agree you should have a damage stat on the scoreboard which shows your overall damage per round or factors that in somehow, maybe it also should show the teamdamage you have done, so that vote kicks do not feel so random, or the game should start vote kicks automatically on its own, if you do to much teamdamage over the round or in a certain timeframe.

But even then it wouldnt help the archer, because every other class does so much more damage per second.

@Soulcatcher said:
Yeah, if Chiv's TO maps where in Mordhau they would probably be more enjoyable than Frontline.

Frontline maps are too big, and while I FEEL like I'm in a huge medieval battle, you're constantly at the mercy of RNG projectiles/ballista/potshot arrows/people throwing weapons/gambles/sudden groups of people appearing behind you. Chiv's TO maps felt better in the sense they had less massive open spaces, you could funnel some people through a corridor or a choke point and take them out with your own skill.

I heavily disagree. You have allready one choke point heavy map in this game, with a lot of small corridors, which lead to chokepoints, taiga. And taiga does not really feel very good or balanced to play. I think maps where you have a lot of different options to get from one point to the other and switch from highground to lowground are overall more fun to play, then maps where every team camps on one side of the choke point and trys to get through. Trying to get through one chokepoint with 16 players at the same time, while the other team is pushing in the oposite direction, feels like standing in a long line in the supermarket checkout on a saturday, but worse. Thats not fun to do.

Throwing weapons and archer are fine. They add different playstyles to the game. If you wouldnt have them the game would feel a lot more boring way faster. Buildvariety is what keeps games interesting over a loger timespan.

58 29
  • 12 May
 Crumly

@Soulcatcher said:
Yeah, if Chiv's TO maps where in Mordhau they would probably be more enjoyable than Frontline.

Frontline maps are too big, and while I FEEL like I'm in a huge medieval battle, you're constantly at the mercy of RNG projectiles/ballista/potshot arrows/people throwing weapons/gambles/sudden groups of people appearing behind you. Chiv's TO maps felt better in the sense they had less massive open spaces, you could funnel some people through a corridor or a choke point and take them out with your own skill. Don't find Frontline too fun, just reverted to dools since release I guess, I can't even be bothered memeing much anymore

Mind you I fucking hated TO in Chiv and just devolved into a 24/7 FFA jav archer towards the end

First of all, props for a sweet name reference to black company. Amazing books

This game has choke points too, just generally there are more of them than just one. Chiv was 32 player max and it never felt like big battles (there were a couple maps that felt huge but at the end of the day you either had one choke point to go to, or you could go left or right).

Honestly chiv felt small in scale. Compared to the giant maps we have now I can't imagine playing on chiv maps and not just comparing all the little weaknesses.

Besides, having a small map selection on a 2 week old game vs a 7 year old game is meaningless. You can't even rightly say chiv is better "currently", with the caveat the map selection will grow in mordhau, because the rest of the game is just so much better it carries mordhau well past the conversation about maps.

360 332
  • 12 May
 Peacerer

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Christian2222 said:
I have a screenshot of an archer rolling 30/8 and the top of the scoreboard was like a 40 something. Give them time, archers will get good. 30/8 for an archer is more than they deserve.

Stouty had killed 40 opponents in 2 minutes with the Zweihander. Giru has achieved over 110 kills in one game with the maul. GTFO of here with a screenshot of a 30/8 archer that probably had one third of his kills with a melee weapon and one third against archers.

Yeah exactly. It was always funny when 2h elitists during alpha talking bs and lied that i was a bad archer while i was like top 5% aimer and better of any single one of 2h elitists. When i complained about archery being implemented bad on purpose by developers those same 2h elitists would say "look at Pectus" he doesn't complain archery is underpowered and similar nonsense. Like i would say to those f** 2h elitists they are all bad because they can't utilize 2h weapons like Stouty or GIRU or some similar decent skilled melee player.

Basically they were and still are a bunch of hypocrites.

@ǀǁǂÐƦ₳ƓƟƝƁƟƦƝǂǁǀ said:

@LordCommanderJonSnow said:
Mordhau has great graphics, animations, combat mechanics. Archers got shit on, they aren't viable. I have never seen an archer at the top of the chart. Don't get me wrong, I hate archers, and hated them in Chivalry too... but it was fun to play them once in a while and still feel effective, and that you were still contributing to your team.

Archers could be fixed very simply: by adding a damage bonus perk (Bodkin) on heavy armor, equal to Huntsman. They just don't want to do it. Majority of veterans don't want to see archers being effective against melee. But I'm totally with you there; this should be fixed. It just looks like it's not going to be.

Yeah, sadly, archery won't get much love by developers. I gained many hatred criticizing archery during alpha. Basically, developers were afraid to make proper archery with alpha players being mostly Chivalry veterans/2h elitists who already cried hard to nerf/remove archers (and shields).

I'm 100% confident developers could make archery a way better. By better i don't mean (just) more powerful but a way more interesting as well. So little love went into archery it's actually sad.

120 120

@BudSpencer_vs_TheHound said:

@FlyingTesticle said:

I do agree though that the current maps quickly (after 100 hours) become boring and am highly looking forward to the city map and whatever comes as well. More game modes wouldn't hurt either.

I think thats not the maps or frontlines fault. Every gamemode would get boring fast, if you had only 4 maps available playing on it. If they add constantly more maps, then it will feel more interesting, especially if modder will be allowed to make custom maps in the future. Because the core gameplay of this game is solid and very fun to do.

I think the different areas on the maps are beautifull designed, with a good eye for little details:

• bushes to hide in
  • houses or stoneformations where you can climb ontop
  • hanging bridge with a hole in the middle
  • a diagonal hanging rope elevator where a platform can slide down and you can make an escape if you get overrun.
  • a river which separates both sides and is on some areas close enough so that you can jump over
  • fallen over siege towers where you can hide in, behind or climb ontop of it to snipe from there
  • a lot of vertical gameplay with a lot of possibility to switch between highground and lowground fast
  • multiple routes to take, if one of the routes gets camped to hard

Completely agreed, plus I have seen some fantastic work on map object hitboxes, like shooting through different holes in the wooden objects. I have no complaints about the maps, just want to have many more. Once modders get their tools we can expect sky to be the limit what will come!

The only thing bad about the maps is that some of them are build to much in favor for one of the sides. Like Taiga where the red side gets basically a fort behind a river to hide in, while the other side has to cross the river and take the fort. Or Mountain Peak where the one side in the castle can get easily spawn camped. But thats nothing which you cant change with little map tweaks.

Like I explained in my original response, I do not have problems for maps to be in favor of the other team and would like even more heavily skewed maps for those rare wins of that default loser team... Those wins feel particularly great and worth fighting for.
... This though when there are more maps and I agree with you that currently having 50% of the maps imbalanced is a bit much

@FlyingTesticle said:
On Archers:

A friend of mine has played archers almost exclusively and has way over 1000 hours on Rust which has similar bow mechanics, i.e. he is a very good shot.... Yet, as you said, he is at high middle of the list at best.

Maybe there could be some extra points given for archers for long hits?
Like using distance as a score multiplier on successful hits and kills?

Thats one thing which is very annoying as archer. You get so many assists. Because you have to hit most enemies at least 3 times if you dont hit the head perfectly every time, so that it is highly likely someone else kills your target, before you can do the final shot, especially because pulling the longbow string takes 1.2 seconds everytime you aim. And if your target gets out of sight you can only hold the bowstring for 3 seconds and then you have to reaim again. I like that its skillfull like that, but having low bow damage,very slow flying arrows, a bow pulling time of 1.2 seconds and the aim restriction of 3 seconds all together at the same time is just do much. I could live with almost all of that if at least the arrows would fly faster.

Agreed! I think adding velocity is exactly the thing that would make it better. Nothing too crazy, just a touch faster animation overall...
Blocking arrows via parry should be harder than it is now as it would become with just faster flight animation.

But i agree you should have a damage stat on the scoreboard which shows your overall damage per round or factors that in somehow, maybe it also should show the teamdamage you have done, so that vote kicks do not feel so random, or the game should start vote kicks automatically on its own, if you do to much teamdamage over the round or in a certain timeframe.

But even then it wouldnt help the archer, because every other class does so much more damage per second.

Doesn't damage already calculate into the points you achieve?
I think any number on the screen directly calculates to the total score.

Team damage visible on the scoreboard is a nice idea and needs a thread on it's own imo!

58 29
  • 12 May
 Crumly

Who decides that, you? Why shouldnt every class be viable and have a chance of being mvp, when the player playing that class earns it. Man your hate against archers, in in this game, is almost pathological.

If you really believe archers are weaker by design, then why ask the fucking question, the dev's decided, it's their game, you already know this. If I play Diablo, I don't cry because I can't choose Jesus Christ as a playable character, they designed the game that way. I'm not saying archers should be weak, just pointing out your question is silly.

It doesnt matter what happens in one single round. If you had evaluated 100 or 1000 rounds and then calculated the average score of all the different classes out of those rounds,it would make more sense, instead of acting like you seeing one archer having in one round a 30/8 score is a valid argument for archer being viable in this game.

Are you saying archers are NOT viable in this game? Who are YOU to say what qualifies as viable?

Why should the archers need more or less time to get good then any other class?

That's easy. Archery is more difficult. Why wouldn't it take longer? You have to aim and take many things into account, including your own safety. It's more mechanically difficult that just LMB into someone's back with executioner sword. Are you implying you shouldn't have to aim?

• arrows fly so slow in this game that it becomes almost random to hit other player, if they only move slightly, at that range.
    If they changed this much, it would take parrying arrows from "very hard" to "way too hard"

• of the low damage output per second, compared with other classes(see scoreboard at the end of the round)
    You are ignoring all of the context around how archery is played and just looking at scoreboard for a equality of outcome result... You want archery to be as easy and the guy walking up behind players and hitting with executioner sword, guess what, nobody else wants that

• of the cost of 11 points for the longbow
    Boo hoo... can't run 3/3/3 heavy armor and use the strongest bow...

Its just a development desicion from the devs to give the archer class concrete shoes, so that guys like you dont freak out completely,

If that is true, then you understand, so why argue about it

The rest of your post I either agreed with or am not qualified to speak about

58 29
  • 12 May
 Crumly

@FlyingTesticle said:

Blocking arrows via parry should be harder than it is now as it would become with just faster flight animation.

Show me a video of someone blocking arrows consistently

Only time I'm able to block them much at all is when running basically in a straight line at the archer watching him draw back. I'd say 90% of the time I'm in combat with an archer, I'm not even aware of it, let alone even attempt to parry. Even when running straight at them it's pretty much luck if I successfully parry one arrow. I think last night on my statistics page I had blocked 20 or 25 projectiles, I bet I've blocked 2 arrows from archers in 90 hours. The rest was throwing axes or knives or short spears

Why compare apples to strawberries
What other class does damage from similar range as archer...
Meaningless argument

101 169
  • 12 May
 Sektor

imagine buying a game with the most complex melee system ever only to cry about archery. archery is support as it should be. it does not need changes, and if arrow speed increases, i expect a damage nerf too. regarding chivalry, its dead. get over it. mordhau is by far the better game.

120 120

@Crumly said:

@FlyingTesticle said:

Only time I'm able to block them much at all is when running basically in a straight line at the archer watching him draw back. I'd say 90% of the time I'm in combat with an archer, I'm not even aware of it, let alone even attempt to parry. Even when running straight at them it's pretty much luck if I successfully parry one arrow. I think last night on my statistics page I had blocked 20 or 25 projectiles, I bet I've blocked 2 arrows from archers in 90 hours. The rest was throwing axes or knives or short spears

You are completely right when it comes to being on the field and fighting... Blocking some arrows is the least of your concerts on those times.

But when it comes to archers trying to fend you off from approaching them or them trying to come at you while you are backing away it sounds to me you've never even really tried to parry arrows. It is actually pretty damn easy.

162 104

@Crumly said:
If you really believe archers are weaker by design, then why ask the fucking question, the dev's decided, it's their game, you already know this. If I play Diablo, I don't cry because I can't choose Jesus Christ as a playable character, they designed the game that way. I'm not saying archers should be weak, just pointing out your question is silly.

I like the game and i want to give feedback on how to make it even better. This forum is build for the purpose of giving feedback and thats what i do. So you are not allowed to give feedback if you havent developed the game ? And what has choosing Jesus Christ in Diablo as playable character to do with archer being to weak in Mordhau?

@Crumly said:
Are you saying archers are NOT viable in this game? Who are YOU to say what qualifies as viable?

I play a lot of sniper classes in many games and i like to play this game, so i give feedback on how the sniper class feels in this game. But im not the only archer player who dislikes how archers play in this game. Just ask any other archer player in this game, what he or she thinks about this class, if you dont belive me, or feel im not competend enough to evaluate that.

@Crumly said:
That's easy. Archery is more difficult. Why wouldn't it take longer? You have to aim and take many things into account, including your own safety. It's more mechanically difficult that just LMB into someone's back with executioner sword. Are you implying you shouldn't have to aim?

Where did i say that you shouldnt have to aim? Now you are just putting words in my mouth i never have said. There is a difference between being hard to master and being just random and pure luck based. Again if you dont belive me just ask other people playing the archer class in this game and they will tell you that you cant hit consistently people at a range of 30-40 meter, which are not standing still completely, even if you are very good at aiming.The arrows just fly way to slow, so that the flight time over longer, or even medium distances gets so long, that your enemy has so much time to move in any direction while the arrow is traveling at him, that it becomes pure luck, even on medium distance.

You just simply cant predict where your target will be in multiple seconds from now. No human in the world can calculate the movement patterns of enemies in a chaotic 32vs32 game over multiple seconds. Even the enemy you are targeting does not know which direction he will take in 2 seconds from now. The way your enemy will move depends on how your teammates will move, which depends on how the enemies will move.... thats a complex multi body problem no AI on no super computer in the world can solve for 64 bodies.

@Crumly said:
You are ignoring all of the context around how archery is played and just looking at scoreboard for a equality of outcome result... You want archery to be as easy and the guy walking up behind players and hitting with executioner sword, guess what, nobody else wants that

Again you are just putting words in my mouth. Where did i say i want archery to be the easiest class to play? The only thing i want is that shooting at a distance of between 30-40 meter does not feel so random and luck based anymore, which it does now. Again if you dont belive me ask other archers which play this game.

Again where did i say that i want: "archery to be as easy and the guy walking up behind players and hitting with executioner sword" ?

At this point you are just completely strawmanning:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Strawmanning

@Crumly said:

• of the cost of 11 points for the longbow
    Boo hoo... can't run 3/3/3 heavy armor and use the strongest bow...

The 11 points alone on its own are not the problem. None of the disadvantages the bow has now, on their own, are the problem. But if you add all those disadvantages together and combine them into one class, then it gets problematic. 11 points where justified if the bow would be actually good and wouldnt feel random to shoot on distance,because of the slow arrow speed. Just show me one other multiplayer game where the arrows of the bow class fly that slow?

Again non of those disadvantages alone on their own would be bad, but combine all of them in one class and the class will be bad.

@Crumly said:

Its just a development desicion from the devs to give the archer class concrete shoes, so that guys like you dont freak out completely,

If that is true, then you understand, so why argue about it

And now we have come full circle. Again i give feedback because i like playing this game and i hope that the developers understand that it is important for the longevity of a game that there is class variety in this game, with a lot of viable classes to chose from, orelse the game gets boring to fast, not for all but for many people.

So and this is the last time i reply to a post of yours, because i have the feeling that arguing with you will otherwise be a neverending story.

58 29
  • 12 May
 Crumly

@FlyingTesticle said:

@Crumly said:

@FlyingTesticle said:

You are completely right when it comes to being on the field and fighting... Blocking some arrows is the least of your concerts on those times.

But when it comes to archers trying to fend you off from approaching them or them trying to come at you while you are backing away it sounds to me you've never even really tried to parry arrows. It is actually pretty damn easy.

Maybe I suck at it, or maybe playing chivalry too much (no parrying arrows) makes me not focus on it as much, in chiv you could only walk erratically to try to avoid them... to me it doesn't seem that easy, and if you made it any harder I bet most players would never even parry once

58 29
  • 12 May
 Crumly

So and this is the last time i reply to a post of yours, because i have the feeling that arguing with you will otherwise be a neverending story.

I know the game isn't going for realism, maybe they could do something where the arrows speed up a bit after so many meters. I just feel like if you speed up arrows, nobody could parry them (as I feel it is already difficult).

I detested archers in chivalry, so I did't play it (I did unlock the level 2 javelin back in 2012, that was it though), so I couldn't really compare from my own experience, but I know in chivalry I dodged many arrows that were coming at me from long distance. I actually feel like it's more difficult to just juke arrows in mordhau than chiv.

I disagree that the archer is similar to a sniper. To me it feels more like a support class, similar to the "protector" pre made.

I got a real life friend to start playing mordhau with me, telling him it was different than chivalry (he tried that for like 2 hours years ago).

He's level 8 i think now, he's ranted to me about archers probably 25% of the total game time we played together. Everytime he dies he's whining about how they should remove archers, and here I am having to stand up for archers...
Majority of players are not interested in archery becoming and top tier killing machine

edit

that it is important for the longevity of a game that there is class variety in this game, with a lot of viable classes to chose from

i feel like archers are viable and important part of a team. I don't play it much so hopefully they buff it a little so archer mains don't get frustrated as easily, but it is a support class IMO.

143 221
  • 12 May
 elToroGuapo

the fuck you guys are talking about?, Chiv maps are bigger than mord ones

18 24
  • 12 May
 Shaw

Playing as archer in this game feels like uphill ice scating.

Ya I get that it sucks being hit from range, but it’s not unbalanced

162 104

@Shaw said:

Wait what? I argue for having faster arrow speed. When did i ever complain in this forum that archer have to much range? Im all for making the arrows at least a little bit faster. You must have misread my comment :)

1756 1406
  • 12 May
 Rergato

I don’t get it, Frontline is basically Team Objective except both teams have objectives. It is a lot more dynamic and cool. It’s not just capturing points.
I think you guys just have nostalgia glasses on.

Count 130 216
  • 12 May
 Pariah

They're working on more maps. Chiv didn't have that many TO maps before they brought out the SDK. The last in-house maps were citadel and coldfront, which were both garbage imo.

Give it some time.

18 24
  • 12 May
 Shaw

@Shaw said:

Wait what? I argue for having faster arrow speed. When did i ever complain in this forum that archer have to much range? Im all for making the arrows at least a little bit faster. You must have misread my comment :)

I probably did. But I think the archer class is fine, even perfect, as is. Increasing arrow speed would turn the bow into a hitscan weapon, lowering the skill ceiling dramatically. You shouldn’t be trying to always fire from long range, because you’re unlikely to hit anything. There is a great risk vs reward system when playing archer: the closer to the danger you are, the more shots you can hit. This also allows for melee classes to stand a chance against you, and need not perma shield whenever the enemy has archers.

Edit: I am an archer main. And I can dispatch enemy melee users in a melee most of the time because the combat system is mostly fair.

162 104

@Shaw said:

@Shaw said:

I probably did. But I think the archer class is fine, even perfect, as is. Increasing arrow speed would turn the bow into a hitscan weapon, lowering the skill ceiling dramatically. You shouldn’t be trying to always fire from long range, because you’re unlikely to hit anything. There is a great risk vs reward system when playing archer: the closer to the danger you are, the more shots you can hit. This also allows for melee classes to stand a chance against you, and need not perma shield whenever the enemy has archers.

Edit: I am an archer main. And I can dispatch enemy melee users in a melee most of the time because the combat system is mostly fair.

Sure if arrows would fly super fast, then it would be hitscan. But given how slow arrows travels now, you probably had to increase its speed 300% before it gets in the hitscan range. I dont want that either. I want a small change of 30-50% faster. Just enough to enable you as archer to hit targets consistenly at a range of 30-40 meter. Because the extreme whe have now of not being able to hit targets consistently even at modest medium range of 30-40 meter if they only slightly move is also not fun to play as archer.

Again there is no other multiplayer game with bows in it, where arrows travel that slow, because its just not practical letting them travel that slow.

777 1028

taiga is a blue team walking and losing sim.

Grad is actually a good map.

Camp is a big open area that is way less interesting than it could be as 80% of the time the entire map is red team pushing a wagon until they win. While some horsemen have fun.

Mountains hurt my eyes and are small and symmetrical therefore uninteresting.

The entire frontline mode just feels lame cause i am standing in a circle. Not fighting to defend my brothers bashing down a castle door. Not defending some helpless peasents. Just fucking standing in a circle for no reason.

Parry is op in mord

Drags are underpowered in mord

The skill ceiling in chiv is currently higher
The map rotation, variety, and the way they play out, in chiv is objectively superior.

The voices in chiv have more options and are just leagues better in every way.

The only reason i play Mordhau is cause i have hope they will fix it. It has sky high potential, where playing chiv is like beating a dead horse. That's the only reason i switched.

Fuck off with hours played just duel me if u wanna measure cox like this.

43 36

Based on historic value archers where excellent vs infantry even heavy infantry. The longbow dominated battlefields for great Britain for a very long time before cannons and rifles using longbows in battlefields.
Recurve Bows are faster than longbows but carry less kinetic force, the longbow due to how many pounds of power it exerts on hit would dent and penetrate heavy plating which is why chain mail was also worn to not start bleeding. Result would still end in internal damage though depending on where they are hit.

Devs don't care about archers ... the arrow speed factor is the main principle. The projectile speed is pretty much the same as any other thrown projectile ... throwing knives, etc. Also running speed and no stun or stopping enemies in swing despite being hit by arrows is also a way to make archers easier to kill by people wearing armor.

All in all if you are a good archer you pretty much win in this game if you stay on the positive KDR because it would require you making a lot of head shots or killing people without armor.

Also to me the meme thing is how everyone in Mordhau was trained by Jon Woo in how to block arrows.