Mordhau

Chivalry is a better game currently

42 17

Chivalry has better maps and more of them

Taiga and Mountain Peak are super unbalanced toward one side, and that's half of the 4 maps currently in rotation

So half of Frontline is unplayable

Chivalry has closer matches more often = more consistent fun

...before you say "then go play Chivalry", I'm currently playing Chivalry

Mordhau has great graphics, animations, combat mechanics. Archers got shit on, they aren't viable. I have never seen an archer at the top of the chart. Don't get me wrong, I hate archers, and hated them in Chivalry too... but it was fun to play them once in a while and still feel effective, and that you were still contributing to your team.

People running around naked with 3 firepots. Dudes afk in a corner playing a musical instrument in an online combat game, with 3 afk people around him spamming emotes.

Devs made lutes louder, good call, seems legit.

Mordhau is great if all you like to do is duel. Comp is probably more fun too.

Lol @ perks.

/end rant
flame on
(p.s. I have 2.2k hours in Chivalry. You have less than 100 hours in Mordhau. Your opinion doesn't really matter to me.)

58 29
  • 12 May
 Crumly

i have 3500 hours in chiv, sit down newb

plus if you're the same Jon Snow from chiv who ran around with claymore, nobody liked you, and it's because you're a tool. So what's your opinion fucking matter lul

I did see an archer at the top once. But what's that matter anyway, why doe an archer need to be #1 to "feel effective"

3 fire pots useless

Yeah I agree the lute is retarded. Whoever made "lute bot"... gtfo

If you're main argument is that the maps are more varied in Chiv (they are, no argument, and I note that you used "currently" in your title, so you obviously recognize the maturity of chiv vs mordhau as a factor), that's not good enough IMO.

I played chiv since october 2012, and since mordhau came out i've played it about 60 minutes.

I love chiv, but what's the point of playing it when mordhau is out.

IMO, I like the mordhau maps much better in terms of theme. They all feel like you're in a war. Chivlary did have that on a couple maps, but it just wasn't as good looking as these maps

42 17

Great sword, not claymore

sure the maps have more polygons, they are going to look and feel better, but they aren't balanced

In terms of value, I've had 100 great hours in Mordhau. At 25$, that's .25 cents every hour, which is about 4x the value of a 90s arcade.

At 60 minutes in, I felt the same way as you do now. Why play Chivalry if Mordhau is out?

After about 100 hours, the PUB scene is boring. It's fun on 2 maps, not fun on the other 2.

I'm sure the masses don't mind because they just play whatever side they want, and don't really care about balance.

I can play red on Taiga and win every game and feel great about myself too.

Yes my argument is the maps are sub par. If we had more maps that were balanced, then my opinion would change. Currently we don't. For now, it's enough for me to go back to Chivalry for the time being. I love fun balanced pub matches that feel like a fight. I don't like to sit through 2 shitty maps for an hour just to get to the good maps. Seems like a waste of time when I could be playing something else that feels more like a game.

Knight 7446 13585
  • 12 May
 ToLazy4Name

@LordCommanderJonSnow said:
(p.s. I have 2.2k hours in Chivalry. You have less than 100 hours in Mordhau. Your opinion doesn't really matter to me.)

lol

510 271

Can we stfu about archers? they aren't SUPPOSED to be MVP, and also I have a screenshot of an archer rolling 30/8 and the top of the scoreboard was like a 40 something. Give them time, archers will get good. 30/8 for an archer is more than they deserve.

I thought arrows would actually glance off of heavy armor when I first saw this game, but no :P

Why lol at perks? it's a way to design your character instead of just having 4 crappy classes to choose from. And just having better combat mechanics should be enough really.

Give them time to balance maps.

64 91
  • 12 May
 SoRoofless

Wow this OP is a total jerk

42 17

@SoRoofless said:
Wow this OP is a total jerk

100%

4 2
  • 12 May
 Sayon

I agree about the maps. We need more, and Taiga and Mountain Peak are currently imbalanced. Doing something about the spawns on both maps could help (blue spawns are way too far back on Taiga, and red team only has one way to leave their spawns in the castle on Mountain Peak).

The game is only a few weeks old, so I'm willing to give them that, just feels that making and testing more maps should've been a priority in their long ass beta/alpha.

162 104

@Christian2222 said:
Can we stfu about archers? they aren't SUPPOSED to be MVP

Who decides that, you? Why shouldnt every class be viable and have a chance of being mvp, when the player playing that class earns it. Man your hate against archers, in in this game, is almost pathological.

@Christian2222 said:
and also I have a screenshot of an archer rolling 30/8 and the top of the scoreboard was like a 40 something.

I have also a screenshot, a screenshot of you drawing one of the death match maps, while having one of your mental breakdowns:

@Christian2222 said:
Easy spawn solution.jpg

source: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/15467/fix-archers-shooting-from-safe-spawn-point/#c17

Pretty funny stuff.

It doesnt matter what happens in one single round. If you had evaluated 100 or 1000 rounds and then calculated the average score of all the different classes out of those rounds,it would make more sense, instead of acting like you seeing one archer having in one round a 30/8 score is a valid argument for archer being viable in this game.

@Christian2222 said:
Give them time, archers will get good. 30/8 for an archer is more than they deserve.

Why should the archers need more or less time to get good then any other class? Sure player get better with time, but that counts for every class.Archer will get better, but so will their competition, so it equals out. Hitting someone on a 30-40 range is not that hard, because archer player practice not enough. Its that hard, because:

• arrows fly so slow in this game that it becomes almost random to hit other player, if they only move slightly, at that range.
  • of the long string pulling time of 1.2 seconds for the longbow you have to go through before every shot
  • of the low damage output per second, compared with other classes(see scoreboard at the end of the round)
  • you can only ads for 3 seconds before you have to re aim
  • of the cost of 11 points for the longbow
  • of the random spread everyone of your shots has coded in from the devs

Its just a development desicion from the devs to give the archer class concrete shoes, so that guys like you dont freak out completely, while playing against archers.And even with all those hard nerfs against archers, you still freak out in forum posts like this one here:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/15467/fix-archers-shooting-from-safe-spawn-point/#c17

Playing as archer in this game feels like uphill ice scating.

Knight 906 2497
  • 12 May
 Pred

I agree to an extent tbh.

Mordhau has everything better except having Team Objective. And without Team Objective the only mode enjoyable for me is duels, and in rather small amounts, so I often feel like I would like to play Mordhau, but end up quitting after 20-30 minutes out of boredom.

FFA obviously sucked in both Chiv and Mordhau.

TDM is practically FFA with extra steps. Scores are meaningless.

Frontline is practically TDM with extra steps. Objectives are totally meaningless, maps are unbalanced and boring, game is often decided long before it's actually over. And it's a mindless spamfest with an additional dose of cata, firebombs, horses and throwables with their random unavoidable deaths. I know 60k people are playing and I can understand they can find it enjoyable for a time because "bik epic battle with swords lmao" and it's something new for them, but it does nothing for me. TO carried Chivalry, Frontline is just plain bad.

Skirmish is slow and people often want to duel the last alive guy, which makes it even slower,

BR is kind of OK, I sometimes run it for 2-3 rounds.

361 332
  • 12 May
 Peacerer

Archers are underpowered. Developers implemented archery badly on purpose! Developers are 2h elitists!

Empress 347 847
  • 12 May
 Soulcatcher

im still in denial too

let go

Knight 907 925
  • 12 May
 afiNity

It's true though, Team Objective is more fun than Frontline

Empress 347 847
  • 12 May
 Soulcatcher

Yeah, if Chiv's TO maps where in Mordhau they would probably be more enjoyable than Frontline.

Frontline maps are too big, and while I FEEL like I'm in a huge medieval battle, you're constantly at the mercy of RNG projectiles/ballista/potshot arrows/people throwing weapons/gambles/sudden groups of people appearing behind you. Chiv's TO maps felt better in the sense they had less massive open spaces, you could funnel some people through a corridor or a choke point and take them out with your own skill. Don't find Frontline too fun, just reverted to dools since release I guess, I can't even be bothered memeing much anymore

Mind you I fucking hated TO in Chiv and just devolved into a 24/7 FFA jav archer towards the end

havent played since mord release

cant even believe its over

so depressing

game was so full of energy

now it's just a withered flower surrounded by empty bottles

Knight 161 227
  • 12 May
 Q

The other day I seen what looked like an awesome new TO map for Chiv called Whitenest ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1343871088 ). Reminded me of Age of Chivalry. These are the kind of maps I would like to see more of.

Combos are also still way better in Chiv.

120 120

I do agree though that the current maps quickly (after 100 hours) become boring and am highly looking forward to the city map and whatever comes as well. More game modes wouldn't hurt either.

But why there has to be perfectly balanced maps in a medieval fighting game?

Why can't some maps be what they are... i.e. Attack / Defend scenarios with different ratios of power.
I mean, if you don't like to fight difficult losing fights (which are interesting too, mind you!) you can always join the attacking team. Maybe it would be better if this would be more obvious... Like a map of a fortress where attackers would have to spawn relatively far away, and the fortress was difficult to attack to.... But the attackers had, say, 150-200% more manpower.

Maps could be balanced in a different way by gathering data on statistical wins and losses and calculating a new ratio of available slots for each team instead of making the map itself completely fair for both team... Which is a recipe for boring CS type map design.

Sometimes though it is all about will however.
I was playing yesterday with 5 friends and we were able to win Taiga with blue team 2 times when we actually focused on that task... Which involves first holding the camp well and not going too greedy straight attacking. Then when you hold the camp with good defense, the fight really turns against the red team. It is all about who has the control of the camp and while blue team has worse spawns in this matter, it is far from impossible if you actually play the objectives.

On Archers:

A friend of mine has played archers almost exclusively and has way over 1000 hours on Rust which has similar bow mechanics, i.e. he is a very good shot.... Yet, as you said, he is at high middle of the list at best.

Maybe there could be some extra points given for archers for long hits?
Like using distance as a score multiplier on successful hits and kills?
Maybe especially headshots from certain distance could give you an extra bonus?

I don't feel like archers should get damage buffs other than maybe against naked / low armor people...
I'm not a medieval armor expert, but weren't arrows really ineffective against the best armor while crossbows were quite powerful and scary for their projectile ability to penetrate?

On firebombs:

The answer to stop excessive pyromancing is simple...
Make the cost of a firebomb at 4 or 5 points each.

Secondly, I think firebombs should have a radial damage model where if you stand in the middle it does full damage and if you touch the edge it does something like 25%... So you'd have a chance to feel the heat and remove yourself from the fire before you are melting max damage... I am kinda tired going around firebombs and dying because I touched the edge of it slightly.

Knight 48 163
  • 12 May
 owen

fucking 2H ELITIST MAKE ARCHEUR BAD ! fils de pute arker bad in meleé game ! .....

1255 1284

@Christian2222 said:
I have a screenshot of an archer rolling 30/8 and the top of the scoreboard was like a 40 something. Give them time, archers will get good. 30/8 for an archer is more than they deserve.

Stouty had killed 40 opponents in 2 minutes with the Zweihander. Giru has achieved over 110 kills in one game with the maul. GTFO of here with a screenshot of a 30/8 archer that probably had one third of his kills with a melee weapon and one third against archers.

Knight 108 140

Mordhau has great graphics, animations, combat mechanics. Archers got shit on, they aren't viable. I have never seen an archer at the top of the chart. Don't get me wrong, I hate archers, and hated them in Chivalry too... but it was fun to play them once in a while and still feel effective, and that you were still contributing to your team.

Archers could be fixed very simply: by adding a damage bonus perk (Bodkin) on heavy armor, equal to Huntsman. They just don't want to do it. Majority of veterans don't want to see archers being effective against melee. But I'm totally with you there; this should be fixed. It just looks like it's not going to be.

People running around naked with 3 firepots. Dudes afk in a corner playing a musical instrument in an online combat game, with 3 afk people around him spamming emotes.

Firepots aren't that effective. If you are bothered with them as they are now, get a Fireproof perk. That's it. They're not an issue. Lute playing and goofing around with outfits and emotes are considered fun by many. If you don't feel the same way, too bad. It's expression. You can't expect everyone to play super focused and result-oriented in random matches.

36 12
  • 12 May
 Taki7o7

i loved chiv, but to be honest, i have more hope in Mordhau. It feels more "partially dynamic" to me ^^