Mordhau

The Stab Crutch

56 11
  • 11 May
 Sorrow

this is ridiculously to powerful and im tired hearing people say OH CHAMBER IT not that easy with two handed weapons not to mention some weapons stab better then other but even the worse stab motion is still better then and side overhead or kick. so explain that how one mechanic is so damn strong. not to mention it can 2 hit a level 3 decked out armor person. this needs to have a more dedicated swing like all the other not to mention heavier weapons like the war axe maul hammers need faster overhead because yes heavy weapons have faster down swings.

Knight 469 913
  • 11 May
 wierHL

Why do you say heavy weapons have faster down swings?

56 11
  • 11 May
 Sorrow

I am not im saying they should. make sense its science a more weighted weapons should have stronger n faster overheads. I mean cuz face it heavy vs light only dif is the slowness in there swings the windups the releases but they are not all that much stronger then a poke from a dagger to the face or a rapier to the face doesn't make sense if anything the slower weapons with more damage should just one shot if they make light weapons two shot fully decked out level 3 armor.

67 92
  • 11 May
 SoRoofless

You must chamber your stabbing opponent with a stab of your own, friend.

10 3

It's not OP but it's maybe a little too punishing in terms of damage, or how long the window of damage is.

15 19
  • 11 May
 Unseul

Why would a heavy weapon have faster overheads? A heavy weapon is always going to have a slower windup and swing, and take longer to then control. And the quickest route from A to B is always going to be a straight line (i.e. a stab).

I would like to see more of a difference between using weapons with one or 2 hands, since recovery and windup should be faster, but doesn't seem greatly effected when I read the stats.

Knight 7682 14090
  • 11 May
 ToLazy4Name

i'd recommend chambering it my dude :^ )

38 17
  • 11 May
 Marcus

Stabbing IS a crutch. I used the Estoc (rapier's big bro) for my first 20 hours or so and absolutely wrecked most people by simply alternating alternating left and right stabs (and angling them to stab into the enemies side, not front) and occasionally feinting a left stab into a right stab or morphing or an overhead into a stab (mousewheel back to mousewheel forward). If they got cocky and tried chambering me I'd just spam it right back at them and always win that fight. Sometimes these chamber battles would go back and forth 5+ times before they'd mess up and lose.

I then switched to learn and main the eveningstar and things are much more challenging. I'm not calling for a stab nerf but I agree with OP these weapons with strong stabs are far far easier to secure kills with. They are a crutch just like the shield that will keep people from getting truly good the more they lean on it.

38 17
  • 11 May
 Marcus

Also the most newb friendly weapons are clearly fast, strong stab weaps. Short spear, rapier, and estoc.

529 278

Someone told me you could sword clash a stab with a swing ( obviously you have to be swinging first) But I don't know If I've ever done it or not.

Edit; are you mostly talking about rapiers, and bastard, short spear, and arming sword?

Knight 7682 14090
  • 11 May
 ToLazy4Name

@Christian2222 said:
Someone told me you could sword clash a stab with a swing ( obviously you have to be swinging first) But I don't know If I've ever done it or not.

Edit; are you mostly talking about rapiers, and bastard, and arming sword?

Any attack can clash, outside of couched lance.

529 278

@Marcus said:
Also the most newb friendly weapons are clearly fast, strong stab weaps. Short spear, rapier, and estoc.

Agreed, when I don't feel like trying anymore I'll just roll rapier/shield.... but I start feeling too bad after a few effortless kills then I switch back to something else.

1418 1495

@Sorrow said:
make sense its science a more weighted weapons should have stronger n faster overheads.

You know that gravitational acceleration is independent of mass, right?

Knight 100 370
  • 11 May
 McMercy

@Sorrow said:
make sense its science

its science

1757 1412
  • 11 May
 Rergato

Stabbing is the most optimal thing to do with a lot of medieval weapons, realistically..

I’m not one of those guys that shout, “errr realism”, but it just seems silly to me to complain and want to nerf something that is pretty much suppose to be devastating.

If stabs were nerfed, then someone would complain about slashes being too powerful, if slashes get nerfed, someone will complain about stabs being too weak, etc...

You gotta adapt to the rules of the game.

Although with the Maul and other similar weapons, I agree the stab damage for them need to be lowered.

Knight 3296 6740
  • 11 May
 Bodkin

There's nothing crutchy about stabs, new players are just new and can't deal with them

3 2
  • 11 May
 ΛCypheir

Sorrow, not sure if you knew this... but in "science" as you chose to reference, the acceleration of a falling body due to gravity is the same for a pebble, or a bowling ball...

48 27
  • 11 May
 Velindian

Chamber with a thrust. And if they thrust again to chamber your chamber, morph into a slash. If they start parrying after their chamber, feint the morph and react to whether or not they attacked (parry if they attacked into a riposte, kick their parry/guard or attack if they tried to parry/block).

Of course kick needs a range buff for that last part though... and thrust active full damage time is too long leading to drags that realistically make no sense and are kinda like mini slashes with full thrust damage.

523 566
  • 12 May
 Deadmode

Yes, many people stab in this game repeatedly. Turns out many weapons are designed to do this (the Estoc you mentioned, the Rapier, spears etc) so I wouldn't expect less. Yes, it's an easy mechanic to abuse (1 button) but it's also easy to counter.

If people DO use this as a crutch and fail to improve at the game...great; more fodder for people who learn the combat properly.

Let people do what they do. You just do you.

PS. Someone said that to me when I had a pretty off day shortly after release and it sat with me. Now I don't care about people's build or fighting choices, I just try and see each thing I encounter as something I need to learn to beat and I have a FAR more enjoyable time on the field.

4 4
  • 12 May
 AJ93

Tired of hearing people cry about smaller one handed swords (rapiers/daggers/bastard sword) being faster than there massive 2h swords like bitch please.
Use your brain dude! You pick up and 6ft iron sword swing it up over your head, I'll pick up a butter knife and we will see who is faster.... Literally 1iq xd

It's easy counterable. Try and use it yourself you can learn alot about a weapon weakness if you use it for yourself