Mordhau

Spears (not Britney)

8 3
  • 11 May
 Hawba

Hi,

to me it feels that spears are a bit to easy to use. They kinda act like a ginormous longsword; a ginosword. They absolutely should have the range advantage over other weapons, and should be the ideal poker for defending/pushing choke points, but they should suffer in close range situations. I am most annoyed that they do not have an "ineffective zone". To me it feels that if I face-hug a spear user I should be able to win the 1v1 quickly, but they tend to swiss-cheeze me about half the time (yes, I'm a noob). In tight spaces, like tunnels or indoors, it would make sense to me that the butt of the spear would also hit surroundings and limit the spear use which would then open the player to be shish-kebabed by shorter weapons, by the short spear for example. Of course all of this is just my opinion :)

The "ineffective zone" could also be applied to other weapons such a the Zweihander; unless you switch to alternative grip.

529 278

Agreed, I hate getting insta stabbed by a spear guy when I'm right in his face, and I'm tired of stabbing my horse in the head XD Spears should have to swing when in close range, or just do shaft damage past a certain range.

2 0

Completely agree, the spear is incredibly easy to use and having an effective range on them would up the skill requirements considerably. When going against a spear with a shorter weapon like the war axe or messer is pretty difficult and getting up close to them doesn’t increase your chances of winning the fight because it feels like the closer you’re to them the quicker they can stab you.

Knight 108 140

Then again, it is incredibly easy to get past the spear tip and run to a close range as well. If spears should not be able to stab at short range, then moving in should be made harder. Also, same logic should apply to zweihanders, halberds and most long weapons. They all require quite a bit of distance for optimal use.

Spears are very easy weapons by their nature. That's why they armed peasantry with spears in literally every country. Spears are cheap to make and it's relatively easy to train people to use them effectively, as opposed to most weaponry.

25 41
  • 25 May
 machinegod

The game mechanics don't support this very well. Reach isn't a huge factor in duels due to lunge and morphing extending your range. You really just need to pressure better.

8 3
  • 3 Jun
 Hawba

My one issue with spears at the moment is that they can do "backwards slashes" (I don't know the name for it). It's when the player misses you with an overhead slash (and stabs, it seems), missing you slightly, and then they can correct their mistake by hitting you on their way back, pulling the weapon into you. The mechanic makes sense to me with sword weapons but with spears it feels like an abuse. You have missed me, I have closed the distance, but you get a retry on your pull-back.

129 141

I agree with this. Spears are strong and kinda brainless which I'm OK with, but once you close range they should become a huge liability unless switched into alt mode or swapped for a smaller weapon. The way you can just keep stabbing and somehow shank an opponent right in your face with the same long range grip and animation which feels incomplete and cheesed.

Splinters from the spear shaft ≠ full damage stab.

109 165
  • 4 Jun
 Speak

@Hawba said:
My one issue with spears at the moment is that they can do "backwards slashes" (I don't know the name for it). It's when the player misses you with an overhead slash (and stabs, it seems), missing you slightly, and then they can correct their mistake by hitting you on their way back, pulling the weapon into you. The mechanic makes sense to me with sword weapons but with spears it feels like an abuse. You have missed me, I have closed the distance, but you get a retry on your pull-back.

There aren't any hit tracers when pulling a weapon back. You're not being hit by the pull-back, you're just being hit by surprisingly late parts of the still-traveling thrust. Which I agree is dumb (they're basically hitting you with the side of the weapon for full damage as if they'd stabbed you with the tip). I'd prefer if these "stab-whaps" just did awkward whappy damage. Basically, if you hit the enemy with a part of the weapon that isn't the tip, or you hit them with the tip but also a good bit of the shaft (if you whap them with the side of the end of the weapon), it should do considerably less damage. Stabs should require stabbing. With the tip. Just the tip. Gosh.

Although I recognize that stab-drags add "depth", but while I'm fine with all the other kinda wacky depth layers to this game, I find this particular one overly-ugly.

Knight 2225 3994
  • 5 Jun
 Runagate

If long weapons didn't deal/dealt less damage with the shaft or hilt etc it would be utter cancer. Spears and many other weapons would be completely useless in a 1v1 situation because facehugging is so easy.