Mordhau

High overall FPS loss after recent patches

4 2
  • 10 May
 Marduk

Hi all,

On release day and like 2 days after i had stable 100+ fps hitting the 120 frame cap i have set up very often on Ultra settings. But after recent patches my frames dropped drastically to the 60-80 area and when in full Frontline dropping even below 60.
The patches also introduced another issue at the same time with the main menu. When i first run the game after the intros theres a solid 15sec freeze of the main menu then the game gets going and same situation happens for the loadouts screen where it takes approx 3-5secs freeze to load each loadout i hover my mouse over.

Things i tried so far:

• Updated graphics driver through GeForce experience to the latest released yesterday
  • Verified integrity of game files through Steam
  • Reduced graphic settings in game > this actualy yielded no improvement in fps AT ALL

One of the patchnotes mentioned fixing the low fps but actualy had no effect for me.

• Is someone suffering the same issues?
  • Are there any known fixes for this?(tried google but no results, just complains and no help)
  • Is it a hardware problem?

Im open for any suggestions and willing to try things since this is a problem thats very strange to me and also other games do not suffer with this problem(Destiny 2 on max settings at 100+ constantly for example).

PC spec:
CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080 8GB
RAM: 2xG.SKill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
PSU: Corsair HX750
HDD: 2xWD Caviar Black FZEX 1TB
SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

Mordhau is on the one of the Caviar Blacks with the rest of the Steam games. CPU is overclocked to 4,2-4,3GHz(actualy cant remember).

Thanks in advance for any help.

988 6971
  • 10 May
 marox — Project Lead

Since then we increased servers from 48p to 64p, which is probably causing the performance drop due to having to render/simulate more characters. Were you able to compare on 48p servers?

4 2
  • 10 May
 Marduk

So far ive used only the matchmaker for playing. Ill try the server browser. Hopefuly theres a way to distinguish between 48p and 64p servers?

21 8
  • 10 May
 Defman

@Marduk said:
So far ive used only the matchmaker for playing. Ill try the server browser. Hopefuly theres a way to distinguish between 48p and 64p servers?

Server List shows Player Count in form of <current players>/<max players> so yeah, you'd distinguish them easily.

4 2
  • 10 May
 Marduk

Oh didnt get the correct meaning of the "p" behind the number. Thought its like the number of "pictures" server processes or whatever like the BF stuff where the servers are like "30Hz" or "60Hz".

21 8
  • 10 May
 Defman

@Marduk said:
Oh didnt get the correct meaning of the "p" behind the number. Thought its like the number of "pictures" server processes or whatever like the BF stuff where the servers are like "30Hz" or "60Hz".

I'm not sure what number are you talking about. There's the "Players" column and it doesn't have any p before or after the number :)

pic

219 198
  • 10 May
 recurf

Hey OP, I have all the same issues you mentioned. As Marox said, its the 64p servers that really.... badly drop frames.
I also have a gtx1080 and 4.2ghz cpu....

I kinda wish they didnt up the player count from 48 to 64, but maybe you can optimize? Eg the firebombs are really poorly optimized, they drain fps massively. So do the wound effects, when you strike someone. Seems to drop fps a lot.

219 198
  • 10 May
 recurf

@marox said:
Since then we increased servers from 48p to 64p, which is probably causing the performance drop due to having to render/simulate more characters. Were you able to compare on 48p servers?

Just for reference, I noticed a pretty big FPS drop from when you upped the player count. I was getting around 70-80fps now I get 50-60fps on 64man servers. Also FPS seems to drain as the game goes on, so I will start with OK fps... then as the game goes on it drops to 50-60. Also can you add an option to remove the fire effects or something? Whenever I look at fire I lose literally 10fps.

4 2
  • 11 May
 Marduk

Still 60-80 fps area even on 48 player servers. This is really strange.

1 1
  • 19 Jun
 Oskeroツ

Before update, i had many fps (80-100) on high graphic quality, but now it's tragedy! I can't play frontline, my fps hesitite 40 fps (low graphic quality)!!! I do not know what's going on.

11 3
  • 20 Jun
 Septr

@Septr said:
I may have fixed my fps issue.

I reset video settings to default, restarted the game, then put everything back to how I had it before, then restarted the game again, and now performance on Camp and Grad seems to have improved.

I'll update this post if performance degrades again.

from: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/16495/can-devs-please-address-fps-issues/?page=2#c21

11 8

@recurf low fps on high player counts is due to a cpu bottleneck, D3D11 doesn't scale as well with a multicore cpu as D3D12 does. i wish they released this game on a more modern api.

21 9
  • 21 Jun
 qbmax

same issues here, 48p and 64p servers run like trash, ran smoothly as butter on release.

i just want to play frontline again but theres been no confirmation on whether or not theres some sort of fix thats going to be deployed or explanation of why frames are dropping so hard in the first place

53 77

The last few patches have introduced a lot of weird jitter/microstutter for me, even on 48p servers.

I've got 105 hours in Mordhau and since the patches i've had to reduce quality and resolution for the first time since buying the game, and even though my FPS is hovering around 80 - 100+ i still experience microstutter.

The microstutter always seems to happen when i'm in a fight with someone as I approach them.

i7 6700K
16GB RAM
980Ti
NVME SSD
3440x1440 (have now lowered to 2560x1080 to improve performance)

44 31
  • 21 Jun
 'Lock

@marox said:

If this is the case can we get more official 48 man servers? The only european ones are russian, at least in my browser.

11 8

@LumpyCustard Could be 2 things, 1: you have cloth physics on, clothes in this game seem to render when another player enters an imaginary circle that surrounds you, when they enter it the game engine has to simulate them, strangely though this seems to cause an stutter(when at the beginning it was supposed to reduce performance hits caused by the clothes physics simulation). now, once they enter the circle their clothes will be rendered at least 3 to 4 or more times your circle's radio(tested by me). now i believe the stutter itself can be caused by two things, 1: possible bad optimization of the physics assets for the skeleton causing such a high load on the cpu that the cpu won't even try to keep up and as result will generate a huge 100+ ms frametime spike which we will perceive as very annoying a stutter. 2: maybe they just need to increase the cloth physics assets render distance while reducing the quality at longer distances so that once the cpu renders them it's all good and it possibly will reduce or eliminate stuttering. now the other more probable cause of your fps problems is that your 980ti is running out of vram at that resolution, some time ago i was playing taiga at 1080p and i was getting 5,7gb of vram consumed.
oh and by the way, recent patches did indeed reduce performance. i don't see why though.

2 0
  • 26 Sep
 logknees

@FlashoftheBlade said:
@LumpyCustard Could be 2 things, 1: you have cloth physics on, clothes in this game seem to render when another player enters an imaginary circle that surrounds you, when they enter it the game engine has to simulate them, strangely though this seems to cause an stutter(when at the beginning it was supposed to reduce performance hits caused by the clothes physics simulation). now, once they enter the circle their clothes will be rendered at least 3 to 4 or more times your circle's radio(tested by me). now i believe the stutter itself can be caused by two things, 1: possible bad optimization of the physics assets for the skeleton causing such a high load on the cpu that the cpu won't even try to keep up and as result will generate a huge 100+ ms frametime spike which we will perceive as very annoying a stutter. 2: maybe they just need to increase the cloth physics assets render distance while reducing the quality at longer distances so that once the cpu renders them it's all good and it possibly will reduce or eliminate stuttering. now the other more probable cause of your fps problems is that your 980ti is running out of vram at that resolution, some time ago i was playing taiga at 1080p and i was getting 5,7gb of vram consumed.
oh and by the way, recent patches did indeed reduce performance. i don't see why though.

this cured mine - cheers!