Mordhau

Nerf Cavalry!

34 19
  • 14 May
 Anachoretes

First of all, a long bow and crossbow work great on longer distances. Secondly, why should this game (and any other) have to adapt to all other games?

43 36

@Pariah

So you are saying there is nothing to change and make the game better?

No need for weapons that hit the head of the horse mid charge to make it stop dead in its tracks instead of you getting bumped due to bad mechanics?
No need to give extra damage to footman due to the physics implementation of inertia which is only given to cavalry?
Archer arrows actually traveling at a believable speed instead of at the same speed as thrown projectiles?
Thrown projectiles actually stop footman's swings but arrows do not ... equates ... failed logic.

None of these could be "polished" ? So just get better with broken mechanics?
Meh been there done that, but all I can see is people trying to keep mechanics broken for their own personal enjoyment instead of an actual balance.

There are work around and you can get good but archers will never get to the top no matter how good they are ... that right there is not balance my friend ... balance is when "ALL" classes have an opportunity for it when a skilled player runs that particular build.

34 19
  • 14 May
 Anachoretes

I think, some ppl never shooted from a traditional bows in a moving targets. Also, there is Already too many archers sometimes. Just realise if we made a lasers from a bows. Ofc it's not an options to learn ballistics.. 50 meters it's a bad sighting range for a bow? mmm
Don't forget that in a games, ranges dictated by a game metrics and map designs.

And i saw good archers and they was on top. All you need is just think when you are playing.

954 302

@SWSeriousMike said:
Holy shit. You guys really think you are successful on the horses because you are good players.

sinnokive5t11.jpg

Count 131 218
  • 14 May
 Pariah

@blankc35fd07d35d64832 said:
@Pariah

No need for weapons that hit the head of the horse mid charge to make it stop dead in its tracks instead of you getting bumped due to bad mechanics?
No need to give extra damage to footman due to the physics implementation of inertia which is only given to cavalry?
Archer arrows actually traveling at a believable speed instead of at the same speed as thrown projectiles?
Thrown projectiles actually stop footman's swings but arrows do not ... equates ... failed logic.

Meh been there done that, but all I can see is people trying to keep mechanics broken for their own personal enjoyment instead of an actual balance.

There are work around and you can get good but archers will never get to the top no matter how good they are ... that right there is not balance my friend ... balance is when "ALL" classes have an opportunity for it when a skilled player runs that particular build.

Not at all, I'm saying people should put some time and energy into learning to deal with situations in game before we start crying out for changes.

The game is what, two weeks into it's live release?
Unless you've been playing religiously since alpha with a large group of people with different playstyles, you don't have a decent enough sample set of experience to make judgement calls on what's balanced and what needs changing.

I'm all here for additional features and more nuances to the game, but in due time once the dust settles a bit.

Cavalry is beatable. It's not inherently OP, and doesn't need to be nerfed. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed in the future to fall in line with other changes.

Knight 7631 14008
  • 14 May
 ToLazy4Name

make it so that someone on foot gets momentum damage bonuses against horse and rider, and make it so that you can't couch anything other than the lance

ez

529 278

@ResolutionBlaze said:
idk where all these complaints about horses come from.

The only time I've had real issues with horses is when I don't pay attention and I get blindsided.

The horses are hard to control and whenever they hit a wall they're a free target. Just avoid wide open areas when possible and pay attention.

Exactly, Like I've said, I've been killed by a horse/rider 5 times I think total. All the people complaining about cavalry have never ridden the damn horse, and don't know how to look behind them when they hear horse galloping! Pretty sure I've been killed more by ballistas, and catapults. If a horse comes just dodge, parry, swing pole arm/projectile, get the fuck out of the way. I think it's psychological at this point, you are terrified of the cavalry so the cavalry kills you.

Absolutely sickening thread.

1387 1457

That's because you are on a horse all the time. Of course you are not a good target for cavalry at that point anymore.
The only reliable counters to horses are spikes and hugging walls, flag poles or other geometrical obstacles. The rest is unreliable.

954 302

Cavalry is beatable. It's not inherently OP, and doesn't need to be nerfed. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed in the future to fall in line with other changes.

same with Spears i have never had issues with short Spears or Rapiers but people are asking them to be removed i use a Shield and a Bastard Sword myself and with rapiers i just chamber the stabs and with spears just back up or chamber them too

954 302

@Christian2222 said:

@ResolutionBlaze said:
idk where all these complaints about horses come from.

The only time I've had real issues with horses is when I don't pay attention and I get blindsided.

The horses are hard to control and whenever they hit a wall they're a free target. Just avoid wide open areas when possible and pay attention.

Exactly, Like I've said, I've been killed by a horse/rider 5 times I think total. All the people complaining about cavalry have never ridden the damn horse, and don't know how to look behind them when they hear horse galloping! Pretty sure I've been killed more by ballistas, and catapults. If a horse comes just dodge, parry, swing pole arm/projectile, get the fuck out of the way. I think it's psychological at this point, you are terrified of the cavalry so the cavalry kills you.

Absolutely sickening thread.

yeah horses are a pain to control its simply dodge or take the Disarm when you block it to survive be aware of your surroundings and think befor you act in this game swinging wildly works but timing a chamber or a counter is more effective in the long run

2 1
  • 14 May
 Gream.

Cavalry is annoying only because there's no reliable counter and with weapons like Lance or Spear, they have a ridiculous range and one shoot potential. I see people with this combo at the top of scoreboard without even single death.

367 340
  • 14 May
 Peacerer

@Anachoretes said:
This horses not even a horses. They stucking everywhere ...

I do not care much about horses but this is so true. Developers really made this part bad. However, i think they made horses pretty good. I mean the sound, feeling etc while riding. Maybe they are just a little bit to fast compared to everything else in the game.

About archery i have been saying the same since the 1st day it came out in alpha and I have gained since then enormous hatred by diehard 2h youngsters:

@Peacerer said:
Archers are underpowered. Developers implemented archery badly on purpose! Developers are 2h elitists!

They made archery bad on purpose. Don't think otherwise. Developers basically took a dump on aimers. Im 100% sure they could bring so much more variety to the archery table if they had interest into creating a decent archery. The way they did, was just an useless filler, fake feature to the game.

56 11
  • 14 May
 Sorrow

yes please to strong not to mention horses take 2 to 3 hits to down.

31 32
  • 14 May
 Saoirse

The only map I have problem with horses on is Camp. They are near useless in Taiga, easier to take down on Grad due to narrow paths and Ballista/catapult, and Mountain Pass also has narrow paths which make them easy to take down with a bow or polearm.

Camp though is a pain.Especially if one team ends up with all 3 which happens often and can lead to spawn killing on Red side.

I'm not sure how they could nerf them without completely removing them, but maybe remove the +20 damage and knock back for parrying and just make a parry a parry. As well getting hit on their left side when the pole arm is clearly on the right of the horse is annoying as hell.

9 1

My experience has been the opposite, that cavalry are really easy to deal with. I only play Battle Royale so I can't speak for other game modes.

61 39
  • 14 May
 Ethan

Too many horse counters guys

172 85

@Pariah said:

Not at all, I'm saying people should put some time and energy into learning to deal with situations in game before we start crying out for changes.

Unless you've been playing religiously since alpha with a large group of people with different playstyles, you don't have a decent enough sample set of experience to make judgement calls on what's balanced and what needs changing.

I'm all here for additional features and more nuances to the game, but in due time once the dust settles a bit.

The sexy Irish chick is right. So far, I think that the Horse's collision detection, you know when it bumps into players and makes players flinch, that hit detection should be smaller. That way a competent player can parry the Horse rider's 1 hit kill more reliably. Speaking of that one hit kill, perhaps lower the damage juuuuust a tad so that, if the swing wasn't aimed at your head & shoulder area, you have a chance of surviving? I'm not sure about this though.

@Saoirs: Should keep the knock back and slight damage if the horse is going at full speed. I just learned that horses can jump, lol. As a horse rider, you should be able to jump on light armored people and trample them to death hahaha.

43 36

@Pariah said:

@blankc35fd07d35d64832 said:
@Pariah

I have never stated that cavalry is not something that can't be beat. What I am suggesting is things that would give a more balanced game play.

I have played plenty of games that are in a medieval setting / swords and shields both old and new ... the things I have been suggesting exist in "ALL" of them.
They are the most "basic" of the basics based on physics and historical knowledge.

I have not "once" asked for a nerf to any class just some "additional" mechanics that would fall into skilled play of certain classes.
Especially the archer class which is missing two basic components due to failed logic or made on purpose to avoid having "mob" players bitch and moan about archers killing them.(Which some still do)

So I do believe I can state my point from solid ground seeing as infantry can jon woo arrows by either blocking them without shields or EVEN parrying them ... which is ridiculous on so many levels that I find it funny.

So yes 2 weeks live ... and because of that I have to repeatedly state what would "help" reach balance on the one heavily undermined character class.

That is all.

1081 1715

@Mackintoke said:

@Pariah said:

The sexy Irish chick is right. So far, I think that the Horse's collision detection, you know when it bumps into players and makes players flinch, that hit detection should be smaller. That way a competent player can parry the Horse rider's 1 hit kill more reliably. Speaking of that one hit kill, perhaps lower the damage juuuuust a tad so that, if the swing wasn't aimed at your head & shoulder area, you have a chance of surviving? I'm not sure about this though.

@Saoirs: Should keep the knock back and slight damage if the horse is going at full speed. I just learned that horses can jump, lol. As a horse rider, you should be able to jump on light armored people and trample them to death hahaha.

I use LS from horse often, and it won't 1htk armor sometimes. I think it 1htk helmets which most will find fair. But I think its only 90 damage against T3 torso maybe even T2. Bigger weapons should be 1htk generally though and 1h should only 1htk helmets.

172 85

@Lionheart Chevalier Ohh man I hope its 90 damage against T2 torso, I don't wanna have to put back on my T3 it don't look as cool and takes up more points. And yeah like a big ass lance or a pole hammer should one shot helmets and lower armored guys. I have parried horse rider attacks well enough, its satisfying to block when the guy is at full speed he has to ride off and circle around and try to attack you again. You face the horse rider head on, side step him and parry his attacks ad infinitum, lol, there's nothing he can do except try to ram you trample you......

But he can't do that 'cause horses don't trample people. They should - a horse running at full speed should collide with characters instead of just bump them. Buuut we got a lot of pussies here who don't like horses so I digress. You know I've seen more players actively kill horses as soon as they spawn (animal cruelty) probably because they suck at riding them.