Mordhau

(Old post, new webstore available) Mordhau webshop refunds & buying from Gumroad

963 6833
 marox — Project Lead

This is an older post related to our previous webshop provider Gumroad. Our webshop is now managed by the Humble Store/Humble Widget, which has better provisions against fraud.

We have shut down our webshop for the time being, as we were being hit with a number of fraudulent transactions. The high profile release unfortunately garnered the attention of shady folk who likely wanted to resell keys. Luckily not many were stolen, as our shop was limited to only two thousand or so copies, the vast majority of which were legitimately purchased. However, as a result of the fraudulent transactions, our store provider Gumroad is issuing refunds to what appears to be EVERYONE who has purchased the game in an effort to protect themselves. This is out of our hands. We are going to revoke the truly fraudulent keys, but are not going to revoke those who have purchased them legitimately, even though Gumroad will refund your purchase regardless.

2 21
  • 9 May
 Adesanay

How can I give my money back to you guys?

3 7
  • 9 May
 Disy-tisy

Yeah! I want to contribute! let us give you money!

239 825
  • 9 May
 Cswic

This triangle scheme brought to you by g2a.

2 5
  • 9 May
 JokeCOTF

Honestly the best thing to do would be to gift a friend a copy on Steam. I purchased 3 keys from Gumdrop (One for myself and two for friends) so ill wind up gifting 3 friends so the devs get the money back.

963 6833
  • 9 May
 marox — Project Lead

@Adesanay said:

You can always grab a copy for a friend, or grab something from our apparel store :)

1 5
  • 9 May
 Projekt95

I was wondering why I got that Email but that explains it.
How can I give it back to you now?

1 5

We're just gonna buy copies for our friends probably! keep up the good work guys, sorry you're caught in the middle of all of this

2 8
  • 9 May
 Legbeard

I also want to contribute!

eFfmdb3

2 21
  • 9 May
 Adesanay

@marox said:

@Adesanay said:

You can always grab a copy for a friend, or grab something from our apparel store :)

Gonna grab it for 2 of my friends. I'd have gladly picked up the game at 60$ anyway. Hoping others do the same, and we can make up for those who don't.

Hate to see this kind of thing happen to you guys. Was so glad to see the game get such a strong launch. Hopefully this doesn't derail the teams excitement. All in all hoping it is a small trouble given the huge success you've had so far.

Keep up the great work guys!

2 5
  • 9 May
 JokeCOTF

@marox said:

@Adesanay said:

Marox do you know what the split was between Steam sales and the website sales? Is this a heavy hit? Like I said im gifting my friends with the refund I'm just worried this is gonna hurt you guys

963 6833
  • 9 May
 marox — Project Lead

@JokeCOTF said:

@marox said:

@Adesanay said:

Marox do you know what the split was between Steam sales and the website sales? Is this a heavy hit? Like I said im gifting my friends with the refund I'm just worried this is gonna hurt you guys

It is a very small hit all in all, we've only sold around 2000 keys total. It could've been much worse, but luckily, it was fairly well contained. The fraudulent transactions were a tiny fraction of that only.

1 5
 islander

They sold 500,000 copies.

Looks like less than 1% of us actually bought it through the website. The 1% who - ironically enough - were more interested in seeing Marox and Company get more money.

If there's a practical way for me to get the money back to you, it's just not fundamentally right for me to get this game for free.
edit: Worst case scenario, I'll keep an eye on the shop in the future.

5 17

Welp.. I'm happy to have a free game and all, however if I end up having a friend who has a working PC, I'll definitely buy them a copy of Mordhau!

2 1
  • 9 May
 Unclefacts

I AM OUTRAGED BY THIS AND DEMAND BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

Seriously, I'll take the money you sent back, and buy some swag from the shop.

You wouldn't happen to have any fresh skulls, would you?

1 1
 DeyrickG

Wondered why I had the email with refund, replied with question and got link here.

Will get a copy for my Brother who was looking at game.

Prompt action, fortunate only a few sales in comparison to Steam.

Nevertheless you will get some of my money, even if via Steam.

Deyrick

254 386

delete shields

Count 1452 3388
  • 10 May
 Smokingbobs

Gonna need 5-pack on Steam or something so I can make some friends happy while offering some extra support. Glad this unfortunate situation wasn't too destructive in the end.

8 11

wait, so literally EVERY copy you sold on your personal shop was refounded?

963 6833
  • 10 May
 marox — Project Lead

@FinnTheHuman said:
wait, so literally EVERY copy you sold on your personal shop was refounded?

Pretty much, maybe 100-200 copies were not refunded, everyone that got a refund will have received an email from Gumroad.