Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Server Stability

56 8

Hello!

As we catched a lot of feedback from our customers we have detected a in my opinion big issue with the servers "stability" on Linux.

At some random point (can happen after 5 hours, less or even more) all players will loose connection to the server. When they try to join back they can't. The server is still online and the live console doesn't print any suspicious. When they restart the server all works fine again.

From our side we didn't detect any issues... Ports are ok, enough performance and so on. The servers run very smooth and with no lag. The only issue is this "freeze" bug.

Is that known or any fixes planned?

56 8

Also: Often it happens that the server responds with "Failed to reserve slots".

56 8

We just added -BeaconPort=XXXX to the start parameters with unique & open ports. We will look if that will fix the issue.

7 0
  • 8 May '19
 Its_Spin

Would be really great if this was fixed soon.

Failed to reserve slots and connection interrupted errors within 20mins of server running usually.

Thanks

988 6974
  • 9 May '19
 marox — Project Lead

@Infravider.comDominicIllu said:
We just added -BeaconPort=XXXX to the start parameters with unique & open ports. We will look if that will fix the issue.

Should be unique ports, at the moment it doesn't handle the case of multiple servers on a single port correctly. Let me know if it works!

56 8

The "-BeaconPort" didn't fix the issues.

Servers still "freeze" and tell people "failed to reserve slot".
Restarts fix it for some minutes or sometimes even hours.

Also the server often goes into this state when switching maps. It's random and we do not understand the issue. Performance is good, network is good, ports are good & so on. All ports are unique aswell. All perfect - it's just the server itself where we can't do anyting against it.

Also: The windows servers has that issues aswell - so it's not only Linux.

It's really frustrating at the moment as customers might try to charge for refunds as they can't play on their servers. We could also loose a lot of customers to this. So it's no fun atm.

56 8

I think I might found a weird acting to track the bug down. I joined my server and all was ok. Then I was afk and got kicked for inactivity. Then I tried to join the server and it's loading "joining..." for like 3 minutes afterwards I get a message telling me that it failed to reserve slots.

So I think the inacvitiy kick or any kind of kick does freeze the server. But some customers also told me it also will freeze like that for no reason in middle of match or when changing maps.

Logs:

https://pastebin.com/03ZuxQ7u

988 6974
  • 10 May '19
 marox — Project Lead

We're looking into it, not sure why this is happening only on some servers

56 8

Alright, all I can say is that it must be something from Patch #3 to Patch #4. Something between that versions made the bug exist.

The server was not 100% stable in Patch #3 and did freeze some time too but not as often as it does now. It's unplayable.

988 6974
  • 10 May '19
 marox — Project Lead

@Infravider.comDominicIllu said:
Alright, all I can say is that it must be something from Patch #3 to Patch #4. Something between that versions made the bug exist.

The server was not 100% stable in Patch #3 and did freeze some time too but not as often as it does now. It's unplayable.

If this also happened before, it's likely an issue specific to your setup, as we're not seeing this behavior elsewhere, so it might be hard for us to track down. :(

2 0
  • 10 May '19
 ck1521

Hello guys, same thing happened on my windows server too.
It just says "failed to reserve slot" whenever I try to join.
Tried "-BeaconPort", no luck.
Also I don't think it's the firewall since I turned it off and tried once, same error.
My server only hosts 1 instance of Mordhau server and nothing else,
and I didn't do much to the config file except maplist and server name.

I could paste it if you need the log, although there's likely nothing useful.

By the way I could assure you this is not a rare case.
Here's a screenshot from China, server browser at 9PM:

ss.png

Mordhau servers here are usually at full capacity so those 0/xx are definitely not normal.
Could it be related to timezone or locale stuff?

56 8

Yeah I also share the opinion that the patch did something which bugged a lot of servers. I don't know what exactly is going on. It could be a little package/driver on the Linux/Windows machines which is different to others and that's why it works. It is really hard to say.

If you got your log make sure to post it here - it always helps!

4 2
  • 10 May '19
 SerpentDrago

Per the last patch >
Joining a server will now reserve a slot in advance, fixing the issue of being booted after loading.
Server owners will have to make sure that the beacon port (15000) is reachable; it can be overridden on the command line with BeaconPort=<port>

Make sure whatever you have Beacon Port set to is REACHABLE !! , this is SUPER important . You need to forward / or do whatever you need to do / firewall / iptables / etc . Make sure the Beacon port is getting though to the server . by default it is 15000 , its not good enough to just add BeaconPort=xxxxx to your command line option . you need to forward it !

I'm having 0 issues running a windows server or linux server for hours and hours at a time . with all 4 ports forwarded .

7777 / 7778 / 27015 / 15000

by default all need to be getting to your server

56 8

Explaing "port forwarding" when you port forward a port then you basically reroute it to an other one.

Or do you understand port forwarding as giving them free in the firewall?

As in open port XXXX UDP for incoming/ougoing connections?

2 0
  • 10 May '19
 ck1521

I've got my logs here: https://pastebin.com/Ndew1C1q
Basically log of "start server -> see it in server browser -> try to join -> fail to reserve slot"
I didn't notice any change before/after I attempt to join my server though.

My server is on a public cloud service provider (alibabacloud) so I don't NAT is a thing.
The only thing related is firewall rules which I checked both on the VM and on the cloud management portal, nothing potentially could block the ports. So I'm not sure what went wrong.

btw I tried joining a few 0 player server I found in the server browser, it turned out most of the servers were actually joinable. Still I managed to find 2 servers shared the issue. (probably because those that had issues were all closed by now)

Anyway, server issue or not, if there's anything I can try, please let me know.

4 0
  • 10 May '19
 DGT

Same issue here. Running 3 servers on linux, i can't join one of them. Commandline looks like this:
./MordhauServer-Linux-Shipping -server -log -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27115 -BeaconPort=15000

988 6974
  • 10 May '19
 marox — Project Lead

@DGT said:
Same issue here. Running 3 servers on linux, i can't join one of them. Commandline looks like this:
./MordhauServer-Linux-Shipping -server -log -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27115 -BeaconPort=15000

Make sure your beacon port is different for each server

4 0
  • 10 May '19
 DGT

@marox said:

@DGT said:

Make sure your beacon port is different for each server

it is.
bpwd6N1.png

56 8

yepp.. ports are all open, rights for files correct. All perfect - it's a game side issue I think. Does anything new since Patch #4 require any newer dependencie?