Mordhau

(Stay on Topic)So the game obviously has bad netcode/shitty servers if......

18 9

They consider 100 ping to be high ping. Not everyone has high speed internet and i'm sure its hindering a small chunk of the playerbase cause you can't improve your servers which causes desync and your hits not fucking landing. Other than that everything else is great about the game. This is literally the only game i have had connection issues with, my internet ping is usually between 70 to 120 in any game depending on the server i'm in.

1540 1609

And you suggestion is ...?

18 9

@SWSeriousMike said:
And you suggestion is ...?

To obviously improve the netcode/better servers...Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

20 29

How does having 100ms set to high ping mean that their net code and/or servers are bad?

3 5

God I love it when people who know absolutely nothing throw around dumpster terms like "netcode"

Good "netcode" means that when you have low latency, the game is reactive and feels near real-time. If you arrow someone as they run through a small gap, they'll actually get hit. If you dodge an arrow and go behind a wall, you don't die a quarter of a second later.

Bad "netcode" is where everything is sloppy because they are trying to accommodate high ping players, e.g. you dive behind a wall to avoid an arrow, your client reflects that you totally dodged the arrow, yet you die instantly after it flies past you. That would make the game feel better for you, and worse for those with low latency connections

1540 1609

If your ping is always that high in every game, I don't see how better servers would help you. You can't expect the devs to improve your internet infrastructure for you.
100ms is high for every reaction-based game. You don't have to like that, but it is what it is.

104 70
  • 8 May
 urm

this game shows latency and not just network ping, so it if affected client side processing delay.
in my case, that delay is somewhere in the range of 10-20ms depending on the server
but otherwise, this has nothing to do with netcode, 100ms is very bad in most games. My suggestion would be trying to find low ping servers through the server browser

18 9

@urm said:
this game shows latency and not just network ping, so it if affected client side processing delay.
in my case, that delay is somewhere in the range of 10-20ms depending on the server
but otherwise, this has nothing to do with netcode, 100ms is very bad in most games. My suggestion would be trying to find low ping servers through the server browser

So when i check the leaderboard in-game and it shows 90-120 that is ms which is latency or is it ping? Also to answer the above post about me trying to find lower ping servers....i have and most of them that i do join show the server ping or latency in the 60-80 mostly. I can give an example of ms from another game though....my ms on that one was mostly 5ms but sometimes went to 15.

104 70
 urm

@MetallicCatheter said:

@urm said:

So when i check the leaderboard in-game and it shows 90-120 that is ms which is latency or is it ping? Also to answer the above post about me trying to find lower ping servers....i have and most of them that i do join show the server ping or latency in the 60-80 mostly. I can give an example of ms from another game though....my ms on that one was mostly 5ms but sometimes went to 15.

It is latency
You can test it yourself by running a local server. Your latency is going to be much larger than 0, while your ping is realistically 0, as the server is on the same exact machine

Knight 161 229
 Q

This genre requires low latency. As it is reaction/timing based. Melee combat is also very close quarters. Below 50ms ping is preferable. Over 100ms significantly affects the gameplay, & starts to render the game unplayable.

18 9

So i tested my internet connection multiple times and have concluded that it is the game and not my internet. Maybe the games servers just can't handle my wifi despite it being reliable. My ms is usually 39-40 in my home state and a few states over it doubles to 80 but that's far to the west of my country. This is literally the only game i have had issues with. I can play all other multiplayer games just fine.

1540 1609

@MetallicCatheter said:
my internet ping is usually between 70 to 120 in any game depending on the server i'm in.

-

@MetallicCatheter said:
So i tested my internet connection multiple times and have concluded that it is the game and not my internet. Maybe the games servers just can't handle my wifi despite it being reliable. My ms is usually 39-40 in my home state and a few states over it doubles to 80 but that's far to the west of my country. This is literally the only game i have had issues with. I can play all other multiplayer games just fine.

18 9

@SWSeriousMike said:

@MetallicCatheter said:
my internet ping is usually between 70 to 120 in any game depending on the server i'm in.

-

@MetallicCatheter said:

Your point is. Very rarely do i get a ping of 70 as most of the time in a game server it is 93-100 when it really shouldn't be. I should be getting a ping of 60-70 most of the time at best. If it helps any i rarely get packet loss but sometimes on occasion.

18 9

Seeing how more people are complaining about the same thing on the steam forums like the ping (latency) being bigger than it should despite having decent internet. Its obvious you guys need some server improvements even if a small minority cries about this i will always be here to bitch in this forum or the steam one until i see some form of improvement and experience a much lower ping i should be getting.

1540 1609

I hosting your own server an option for you? I'm not implying that this would be expected of you. I'm just saying that it would probably solve your problem.

101 174
  • 12 May
 Sektor

Its not a matter of internet, this game's servers are horrible. There are countless threads of people who cant play with normal pings and it happens only in mordhau. I am one of them, in all big scale games I play with 60-70 maximum ping on servers located in central europe, in mordhau I play with 90 with spikes to 110.

Knight 161 229
  • 12 May
 Q

MetallicCatheter, wifi was never really designed for playing video-games. It tends to have higher latency, & is intrinsically less stable & secure. Cable is also really cheap. I bet a hard wired connection would significantly improve your ping, maybe even half it. It would also make packet loss near non existent.

Like I said above, 100 ping is high for this genre. It renders the game damn near unplayable. Ask any experienced players.

It is also worth noting that for every additional player on a server, the overall ping will increase for everybody. This is true for any game/server. FrontLine mode has 64 player servers. This may be one of the reasons why you are seeing higher ping than in other games.

18 9

@Q said:
MetallicCatheter, wifi was never really designed for playing video-games. It tends to have higher latency, & is intrinsically less stable & secure. Cable is also really cheap. I bet a hard wired connection would significantly improve your ping, maybe even half it. It would also make packet loss near non existent.

Like I said above, 100 ping is high for this genre. It renders the game damn near unplayable. Ask any experienced players.

It is also worth noting that for every additional player on a server, the overall ping will increase for everybody. This is true for any game/server. FrontLine mode has 64 player servers. This may be one of the reasons why you are seeing higher ping than in other games.

You should of figured out why i'm using wifi and the reason is.....i can't get cable internet where i am. I have to resort to a mobile hotspot and so far this one has been fairly consistent with every game i played. And again my latency is 40 in my home state and around central America to the far west its 80 latency. Also i never experience packet loss, i have on occasion but it never says i'm experiencing it.

18 24
  • 13 May
 Shaw

@MetallicCatheter said:

He uses WiFi and is stumped as to how he can be lagging

Top Kek

1757 1412
  • 13 May
 Rergato

After seeing my South American friend able to reliably parry on North American servers, I will never say this game has shitty netcode.