Mordhau

Is it fine that you can't hit around a shield?

1745 1783
  • 10 May '19
 SWSeriousMike

@Radix said:
Shield HP would fix all of these problems

It wouldn't change a thing. You can already outstam shield users. Please stop perpetuating this non-sense.

Conscript 192 478
  • 10 May '19
 Shovonem

Firstly, it is possible to get around shield. I often morph into side stab against noobs. However, if the shield user is a bit better there's barely any counter except for breaking stamina which is EXTREMELY boring. Even using shield is boring af. Kick stun was never a reliable solution. And if shield backpadel is nerfed even more for more consistent kickstun, good luck playing with shield in 1 v X lol. Shield is NOT in a good state right now and most people who understand this game know that. It's not as simple as they need a buff or nerf. Shield need a completely new approach for balance.

I do not want to banter too much about this because the devs have a lot on their plate right now. I am hoping shield will eventually get more attention.

5 5
  • 10 May '19
 Alby

What if during the initial parry window (375ms?) the shield works as it does now, but if the block is held for longer than that, then the block area for melee attacks becomes accurate to the model of the shield? Shield users would have to be more precise about blocking and they may have to worry about feints i.e. feint left and hit right.

1745 1783
  • 10 May '19
 SWSeriousMike

What if the block area just becomes accurate in general? ;-)

3 6
  • 10 May '19
 keithsboredom

shields need to get reworked. They're just bringing down the game in their current state.

777 1031
  • 10 May '19
 smellycathawk

@SWSeriousMike said:

You'd think this would be worth testing

5 5
  • 10 May '19
 Alby

@smellycathawk said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that it was like this at one point during the alpha but it was changed because it was difficult to actually block.

1745 1783
  • 10 May '19
 SWSeriousMike

I don't now about that. But I wouldn't try with a complicated and inconsistent fix with timings like you proposed. I would go for a simpler approach. Add the complicated stuff later on if it is still needed.

162 125
  • 10 May '19
 Schwarzchild

@Alby said:

@smellycathawk said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that it was like this at one point during the alpha but it was changed because it was difficult to actually block.

Only one shield was affected, the rest was the same because their models were still big

3 6
  • 10 May '19
 keithsboredom

my naive brute force solution would be to add like shield HP or simply increase the stamina hit they take while blocking.

I'm sure there's a more elegant optimal solution out there but i have no idea what that is.

Either way in its current state they are just, dumb.

Knight 61 42
  • 10 May '19
 Optimates

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Radix said:
Shield HP would fix all of these problems

It wouldn't change a thing. You can already outstam shield users. Please stop perpetuating this non-sense.

Agree 100%. Once you lose stamina, bye bye shield, effectively there is already "shield hp".

95 81
  • 10 May '19
 HalldeiMaul

@Pred said:
https://streamable.com/9d0ze

That actually looks like almost a miss, but I've seen this very "effect" (360 personal shield lulzwhynot) happen so many times, I cannot express anymore how sad it makes me.
I don't know why people fight so hard on forums to pretend that they're fine, swing-around-able or otherwise not absolutely in a shape where they need adjustment.

"Its possible to get around a shield" is not the whole truth when it means "there's a 90% smaller window than there should be normally to get around a shield, and sometimes, not even that" in reality.

95 81
  • 10 May '19
 HalldeiMaul

@Shovonem said:
And if shield backpadel is nerfed even more for more consistent kickstun, good luck playing with shield in 1 v X lol.

If a non-shield user would get overrun by 2 people with an even modest sense of timing vs parry timing, why should a shield user get infinite free parry passes while backpedaling at full speed?
And what is more, in a 1v1 scenario, there has to be a way to punish "hold block forever" in some way, and that was the natural role of the kick - so the shield backpedal has to be slow enough that you don't have to kiss the guy before you have a chance of your kick connecting AND it should NOT be feasible to counter-kick at 100% the same speed, either.

There has got to be a tradeoff for infinite parry-up with a shield - all the arguments I keep hearing are basically "I want all the benefits and no downside like being slower in anything at all ever", which boils down to: You are really just asking for the game to have an easymode if you choose shields.