Mordhau

Is it fine that you can't hit around a shield?

8 10
  • 7 May
 SFJake

I never had that problem in Chivalry, though its been years since I've played. But in this game, I can never hit around them. Ever. Even in a 3v1, it will NOT go through his block unless its literally in his back.

How is that right? The gameplay this creates is atrocious, the only thing that lefts in consideration in the melee game against shield is "range", everything else is fucking pointless, it doesn't matter that his view is restricted when the block hitbox is so fucking gigantic.

Tell me this is going to get nerfed? Shields were fine in Chivalry, they already exempt you from the big mind games (which is stupid enough already) and they're great against projectiles. But they should be WAY easier to hit around.

Empress 362 853

NAH

NOT REALLY

MATE

SPOSE NOT

NOPE

AH WELL

2 0
  • 7 May
 Tengu

Shield was broken in chivalry and your arm could extend through the hit box to hit around the shield. MOUNT & BLADE would be a better example.

17 8
  • 7 May
 Donaldzimp

ive had good luck stabbing around the shield

tho the kiteshields hitbox seems to extend all the way down when blocking, as long as he is facing you so you cant swipe at their legs even tho they are clearly exposed

Knight 1269 3804
 Frise

Because supposedly it's bad for noobs and will scare off new players. Even though any new player will understand the concept of having to aim their parry way better than floating drags or needing reaction times of a 13 year old cocaine addict on adderall. But if you ever mention the concept of aiming your parry, the euro veterans start crying.

21 19

@Frise said:
Because supposedly it's bad for noobs and will scare off new players. Even though any new player will understand the concept of having to aim their parry way better than floating drags or needing reaction times of a 13 year old cocaine addict on adderall. But if you ever mention the concept of aiming your parry, the euro veterans start crying.

Obligatory "AMEN!"

Knight 934 941
  • 7 May
 afiNity

Both parries and shields need a nerf, or drags (especially stabs) need a buff.

94 217

you can jump stab over shields

Knight 1269 3804
  • 7 May
 Frise

@ParalyzedTortoise said:

not against good players

94 217

@Frise said:

@ParalyzedTortoise said:

not against good players

most shield users aren’t good players

Knight 1269 3804
  • 7 May
 Frise

you seem to think that blocking jumpstabs and being a 'good shield player' requires more than 20 IQ points

182 200
  • 7 May
 Roag

Wew more shield threads. Cross post from my reply in another thread on this topic:

Fighting a shield player of any level in 1vX is a pain, they take ages to kill purely because they're normally super passive/defensive so you can't switch onto them or kick them and getting around the shield is pretty tricky - side stabbing works but not consistently, jump stabbing is better but easily countered by anyone who isn't a bot - not to mention if you have a few other people on you there isn't really time to be focusing on the shield.

Shields at the moment are enabling new players to compete in Xv1 easily and with 0 risk to themselves unless they over agress or get into kick range, all the while preventing the 1 from making switches which are imperative to staying alive in these scenarios.

Is shield OP in a 1v1 scenario? No, not really.
Is shield OP in a 1vX scenario? Absolutely.

Knight 61 42
  • 7 May
 Optimates

Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion but,

I think the devs have done a good job of balancing shields thus far, i don't feel like they are remarkably good in a multi person skirmish, because there is such a limitation on the weapons you can wield, you can't exactly go ahead and swing a huge axe or a maul, or a halberd that has high reach and high damage, you're making a huge compromise and limiting yourself to mostly medium damage and low reach weaponry.

I think there is a bit of a culture in these forums of calling anything that people find difficult to play against as OP, this isn't healthy from a game balance perspective and I hope the developers make additional effort to be objective in the way they balance things, as i feel like they did during the alpha.

It would be nice to see kicks changed a little, and perhaps more of a movement speed penalty on shields to make it harder to simply walk backwards away from kicks. I think it can make a very low armoured, high speed class with a shield much harder to kill than is reasonable for the amounts of points they have invested into their armour.

182 200
 Roag

I agree with some of what you're saying, the issue isn't an urgent one but I feel it does need some tweaks with 1vX in mind, as I said above shield isn't inherently OP however adding a shield in a 1vX scenario stacks the odds in favour of X, not to mention 1vX WITHOUT shields in the mix is already tough vs competent players.

I'm not sure there is an easy solution, but if there is a viable one then I'm sure the devs will be looking into it.

111 53

I had found some agreement in other threads about the following:

Make held parries with the shield cost a lot more stamina.

tenor.gif

Knight 138 303
  • 7 May
 Sir Boring

When they first added shields, they used to have a 100% accurate hitbox. It was pretty much impossible for any tester to accurately block due to swing manipulation suddenly going from head to feet and vice-versa. Impossible to read with a shield blocking your view and way too easy for the attacker to get past.

You can get around shields. Foot drags will work if they're blocking up, stabs and overhead jump attacks will work if they're looking downward, and stabs will go around their sides if done properly. Also, kicks. Learn how to kick properly and it will be no challenge.

529 278

I swear I hit a shield guy in the back once..... blocked ,_,

Knight 1269 3804
 Frise

Jesus christ this thread is a cancerous loop of people proposing attrition based solutions that don't solve anything and saying 'hue just kick or jumpstab' completely missing the point of the whole discussion, that any braindead retard can avoid those and survive for half a minute against 4 people just by holding S and block. Do any of ya'll bother reading the rest of the comments before repeating what everybody else said? Or any of the other shield threads? I can't believe devs let this happen. 2 years of doing nothing and who guessed it, now shields are more cancerous tham in Chiv.

529 278

@Frise said:
Jesus christ this thread is a cancerous loop of people proposing attrition based solutions that don't solve anything and saying 'hue just kick or jumpstab' completely missing the point of the whole discussion, that any braindead retard can avoid those and survive for half a minute against 4 people just by holding S and block. Do any of ya'll bother reading the rest of the comments before repeating what everybody else said? Or any of the other shield threads? I can't believe devs let this happen. 2 years of doing nothing and who guessed it, now shields are more cancerous tham in Chiv.

I hate that I agree with you ,_,

2 0
  • 7 May
 Tengu

@Frise said:

Shield is cancerous in Chivalry? That’s a first...I guess the 2h helicopters and play doe swings wasn’t the cause that almost drove away all the new players, it was the shield.