Mordhau

Shields are NOT overpowered OR 'Broken'. Please do not change them.

2 2

@Soulcatcher said:
It takes too long to kill shield users in 1vX

That's the problem

I have 4500 hrs in Chiv and 800 in Mordhau, why should I struggle in 1vX because one player fresh into the game with 15 odd hours or something doesn't have to read or concentrate on anything I do? besides watching if I'm gonna swing in his general direction.

All he has to do is backpedal out of kick range, waddle in every now and then, stab, backpedal while I fight off a few of his teammates, he regains his stamina, waddles back in and does whatever.

I don't think you've actually played enough 2H weapons like longsword/GS/Poleaxe etc to understand it doesn't just take a couple hits to knock the shield off, I don't even know numbers off the top of my head but its 5+ with any of those weapons, with 3/3/3 I guess.

Trying to outstam a shield user, while parrying his teammates just leaves you absolutely fucked, you'll just run out of stamina wasting your time trying to get the shield guy if he blocks. You can't do a switch and cleave through a couple or all of them because it just hitstops on the shield guy.

This is all relevant to 1vX, not 1v1.

Fighting shield users in duels you just find a sledgehammer and pound them for 4 hits and it's a home run, or morph/feint spam and keep kicking into accels, two shots in the head they are gone.

It's a skill based melee game, and people who use shields just don't even need any skill beyond backpedaling, blocking, and watching their stamina.

Someone without a shield has to worry about feints, morphs, accels, decels, sidestabs, footwork, your and your opponents weapon range, being ready to parry an enemy who switches on you, parrying projectiles, it goes on

You see the difference in what's required to play well using all the games mechanics?

Again, all my text is in regards to 1vX, gamemodes like Frontline, TDM, Skirmish etc.

They are NOT a real problem in 1v1.

This is exactly correct. We are not calling for a direct nerf to shields. Simply a redesign that rewards good defensive play while punishing brain dead play (holding block until someone hits your shield)

Shields are not OP. I would MUCH rather go up against a shield user than a skilled 2 hand user if my objective is to win. However, I'll have much more FUN playing versus the 2hand, as I can actually use the feints, morphs, and drags that make this game such a joy to play.

62 29
  • 9 May
 Mechanicus

I wonder if back in chivalry the same argument was going on XD

6 9
  • 9 May
 HaloNoobs

A newbie shield user: its not OP, its completely fine. trust me : )
A good shield user: yea, its not OP at all. (im freaking kidding, its OP af)

Knight 460 891
  • 9 May
 wierHL

@Mechanicus said:
PS: And learn to express yourself in LESSER TEXT XD

I'm not taking advice about the way I write from someone who uses all caps in the middle of a sentence for emphasis. Not to mention unironically using "XD".
We use bold text and reaction images here you boeotian.

double king.gif

Sellsword 41 88
 Xedrik

@Mechanicus said:
YOU CAN out-stam them
YOU CAN get around them
and YOU CAN even bait them

I only think YOU can't XD

In 1v1 situations, sure. Pretty much everyone here is saying that the problem lies in 1vx situations.

You can just hold RMB up in someone's face as they're fighting multiple opponents, and they can't do anything to you and you barely suffer any consequences for doing this. You just linger, effectively can't be stammed or kicked(because it's easy to backpedal and they rarely even have time to engage you), and you can just hold block forever.

It completely breaks the combat and the flow of everything. It'd be a much different story if they had a lot harsher stamina penalties(especially for holding the block for more than a split second). But as of now they're just total cheese boards in team fights. I watched one of the best alpha players get destroyed in a 3v3 skirm with noobs because he was fighting two shield users and one spear user, the shield users would literally just hold block in his face and stay outside of kick range, and the spear user would poke him in between their blocks. He couldn't do anything. Target switch? There's only one target he could reliably hit and he's tucked safely behind the turtle lords. Stam out the shield users? Lol good luck. By the time you land two hits on their shield to try to knock it out the other shield guy is already hitting you or you're getting poked by the spear guy - which you can't get to because again, they can just hold their giant parry boxes in your face for eternity

1340 1401

Sounds like a 1v3 to me.

Knight 918 2523
  • 9 May
 Pred

People who say shield is fine in 1v1 are low key admitting they only play against 20 hour noobs who never heard about half of the mechanics of the game.

Sellsword 41 88
 Xedrik

@SWSeriousMike said:
Sounds like a 1v3 to me.

Well the other 2 didn't last long for the same reasons. Shields take so long to stam out that even multiple people bashing on it will usually just end up doing little to nothing besides exposing yourself to their friends

13 7
  • 12 May
 spoopbeats

@Mechanicus said:

I defend shields. In places such as these we are few against many. AND yes, I read them, I was annoyed by them, I didn't agree.
And what kind of ideas did I bring up here in this thread >/ ?

You disagree, but have zero counterarguments. It's clear that you're wrong, but continue to be dogmatic seemingly just for the sake of being obnoxious.

1757 1412
  • 12 May
 Rergato

So, I think shields are absolutely fucking annoying to get up against, but at the same time I appreciate the challenge.

It’s always good playing skirmish with friends and working together to bring someone down that has a shield, it just adds variety to the game.

When I first started playing I was on the “nerf shield” train but after some hours I figured out how to deal with them. You need to be erractic and you really do need to make use of chambers.
Best way to beat them is to bait them into swinging a miss at you, and before they can raise their shield, hit them.

I think a perk should be added though, or, that one perk that allows you to do greater damage to structures should be updated to allow you to take away more stamina from a shield user when they block you. That would make a lot of sense, in my opinion. I’m gonna bold this because I’m very happy with my little brain.

Knight 108 140

Shields were really shitty a few updates back. Now they can stand their own against 2-hander superiority. Not that it would be easy to win a duel against a good two-hander user, but at least you don't die in a second. You still don't see almost any of the alpha veterans using them, since 2-handers are still more effective. But of course they bitch about "shield OP", because they cannot roflstomp on shield-users like they used to. It's natural.

Shields still lack many things that they should have. For instance, you lose your ability to kick, if you are holding only a shield. What a ridiculous idea is this? If you want to counter someone's kick and you don't have a weapon except a shield, you need to drop the shield in order to be able to counter kick. Pavise shield is held in a two-handed grip, a solid wall of protection... but melee weapons go right through it, and it cannot be used to block. Umm...?

Still, I'm hopeful that these issues will be looked into, and am generally happy about the work the developer team have done with shields, with buckler-implementation and all. (Like said in another thread, though, buckler still seems to need work. It's not currently a 3-points weapon, by just adding to the parrying box. It should be given other functions, like eased chambering, or maybe a buckler-bash t o replace kick, for more damage. Or alternatively point-cost should be lowered appropriately.)

62 29

@spoopbeats said:

@Mechanicus said:

I defend shields. In places such as these we are few against many. AND yes, I read them, I was annoyed by them, I didn't agree.
And what kind of ideas did I bring up here in this thread >/ ?

You disagree, but have zero counterarguments. It's clear that you're wrong, but continue to be dogmatic seemingly just for the sake of being obnoxious

Have one more counterargument: It's clear that YOU are NOT skilled. (Anything more would simply be too high I guess.)
Edit: But no srsly ... most of you shield nerfers cannot be argued with anyway.
Trying is futile.

7 10
  • 13 May
 Gormsson

Maybe make shields a little like in chivalry.
Holding up the shield for a longer time starts to drain stamina.
Also slow movement while shield is held up.

Knight 7590 13879

Shields aren't OP, but they're definitely cancer and need changes.

Edit: I personally think they should get rid of held blocks and make shields have better stam negation and/or a longer parry window.

32 119
  • 13 May
 Earraigh

Slower movement speed while holding up a shield should do just fine. Perhaps twice the slow for large ones like the kite shield.

26 31
  • 13 May
 Cro

My wife sometimes plays on my account. The only way for her to not get completely destroyed in melee is to use a shield. She just hasn't played enough to be able to compete otherwise.

I also grab a shield if there is a heavily defended choke point that my team needs to break through.

Yes it's easier to block but you also loose the ability to perform a riposte.

I don't think it needs much change besides maybe a stamina drain for holding up the shield too long.

Knight 7590 13879
  • 13 May
 ToLazy4Name

@Cro said:
Yes it's easier to block but you also loose the ability to perform a riposte.

No you don't.

1340 1401

"Sure, it is game-breaking on frontline - but it's fine because my wife uses it."

62 29
  • 13 May
 Mechanicus

@ToLazy4Name said:
Shields aren't OP, but they're definitely cancer and need changes.

Edit: I personally think they should get rid of held blocks and make shields have better stam negation and/or a longer parry window.

get rid of held blocks ... why not get rid of shields completely :P

53 77

Just adding my vote to the list of people tired of shields.

Hilarious -- shields are not OP? No, they're not, but they don't need to be OP to be a boring pain in the ass to fight. Shields are unbearable and I make every effort in front line to avoid them because they simply aren't fun to fight.

I spend so long working on feints, morphs, accels, decels, drags, etc, but a shield user doesn't have to do anything other than hold right click.

The issue with shields is that the fight revolves around them, rather than the bigger fight at hand. In a mosh pit with a dozen people swinging wildly at each other, shield users simply hold right click and prevent you from being able to riposte, as colliding with the shield cancels out your swing.

The combat is fun and visceral -- there's no better feeling than chaining multiple kills as enemies run toward you and get cut down, but then a shield enters the fight and the whole fucking thing comes to a stand still as you attempt to kick him with your midget legs, out stam, or in general screw around with the 180 degree force field of safety.

Feints? Morphs? None of that matters. Shield user holds right click, then as you wind up for your next attack he rolls mouse wheel forward for a quick stab with his little short spear/rapier. "OH!!! AN OPENING!!", nope, he glues his finger to the block button as soon as he's done stabbing you.

Shield users aren't difficult to fight, it's just that the fight drags on for far far far too long, making it impossible to effectively fight them as they simply hold their shield up until help arrives.

Shield users need to lose stamina at an increasingly quicker rate the longer they hold it up, and they need to move slower. They can be compensated for the nerf by giving them a shield bash attack or something.