Mordhau

What is up with the horrible speed on light armor and “fast” weapons? Needs more balance.

9 3
 Valgys

As of this post, I’ve played light armor configurations almost exclusively for 45 hours in the past 7 days.

Additionally, I’ve gone with a Musketeer type build with light armor and a rapier (no shield). The idea being that I would sacrifice a great deal of protection for speed, but it’s more like I’ve given up all protection in exchange for no/little speed while doing 1/5 the weapon damage. It’s not balanced.

What’s up with the horrible run speed? For example 3 knights in full plate and a two handed can overtake me 100% of the time even with me being several paces ahead of them.

When it comes to climbing, we’re just as slow as a heavy moving up the ladder. Why?

Allow acrobats to lunge forward. The thrust in light armor should be quicker and smoother.

And kicking - shouldn’t a light/no armor be fast with them? Like, 2x as fast. It’s a severe disadvantage to try using a kick against anyone wielding a two-handed. It’s slow and short range, and if you miss you’re dead. A hit, and you maybe can get off an extra hit (assuming you don’t push them out of range), but such a maneuver takes maybe 25% of their health.

When using rapiers, the response time is atrocious. Often I’m getting beat on the draw against 2handers which makes no sense. I’d gladly take a damage nerf just to be able to get the appropriate level of mobility and speed.

Parries should be faster. I would imagine a light using a rapier could parry twice as fast as a two handed, maybe with more stamina drain against a two handed, idk.

Lastly, and probably harder to implement, but slashing strikes should be much, much, MUCH faster. A rapier should be all about speed and combos at a cost to lower damage against a heavy.

I tried a couple times putting on a heavy with a two handed, and just went in swinging like a manic, using a mouse to move into the swing to maximize my sweep, and parrying when I heard a chamber getting off. And while it felt and probably looked terrible to watch, I was easily scoring 3-5 kills each run with little thought. I can lead in both TKs and kills and be the #2 or #3 fighter on my team in a match this way, almost every time.

The mechanics of Mordhau are interesting for swordfighting, but the poor balance to speed and damage for armor/weapon types doesn’t make it worthwhile to learn to be a good swordsman.

Until it’s more balanced, the winning combo is to just get a heavy weapon and armor and go for the 1-shot kills against players actually trying to sword fight like the game was intended.

1 0
 VaTiS

Valgys is right! Light armor is a waste of time because of Valgys mentioned.

The stamina system should be reworked for running and 1h , 2h usage. You cant have a complex combat system with directional hits etc and no stamina drain on attack .It's unfair for the different categories of weapons .Watching guys slash&running with zweihanders is bs.

Spear stabing registers even if the spear point has passed next to you and the enemy just turns the camera. Also explain me how can you be literally having body contact with a spearman and he is able to stab or slash you .

Parry after chamber should be slower for heavier weapons .
Parrying hits from your back should stop .

9 2
  • 6 May
 LordLikhus

The run speed thing is called the chase mechanic, and is to keep you from 'tactically retreating'. I like that heavy armor is superior, it's an investment in points, and this game has roots in realism. However on the attack speed issue, I personally think that most weapons are too slow, but I'm sure its a result from a lot of testing. And I agree that at least kicking should be faster in light armor for sure.

9 2
  • 6 May
 LordLikhus

Also armor should increase stamina drain

9 2
  • 6 May
 LordLikhus

While I'm on it, daggers parrying sledgehammers? c'mon.

9 3
 Valgys

@LordLikhus said:
The run speed thing is called the chase mechanic, and is to keep you from 'tactically retreating'. I like that heavy armor is superior, it's an investment in points, and this game has roots in realism. However on the attack speed issue, I personally think that most weapons are too slow, but I'm sure its a result from a lot of testing. And I agree that at least kicking should be faster in light armor for sure.

I suspected as much - yesterday I noticed that while me and a random teammate were running out from spawn an unsuspecting enemy wandered into my lane, but behind teammate running ahead of me. Can't remember exactly by how much, but teammate immediately dropped like 25% in speed, but as soon as I took the enemy out, it was like my teammate shifted back into 5th gear (he never turned around the whole time).

Seriously, why is this chase mechanic even a thing? I want to be light armor so I can jump in and out of battle. If anything, just make the health regen longer if they are worried about cowards running around all the time.

And I also agree, I think there should be hefty stamina penalties when a small weapon like a dagger or rapier parries a massive two-hander. All part of the balance between weapons imo. I've watched a teammate decimate a pair of heavies with 2handers simply because he parried all the time and did an occasional stab to whittle them down. In 2 or 3 parries he should've lost his weapon.

Would've made it way more interesting and forces a light weapon user to both attack and defend, rather than be strictly reactionary. Hell, you can even throw in a new perk in the game where you can hold your weapon longer through parries (reduced stamina from parrying).

...So many opportunities to provide a better balance all over the place.

529 278

I think no armors should move a little faster too, maybe not top speed, but acceleration? Dunno.
As for rapiers those are friggen OP ,_,

If you want a FAST weapon use the carving knife =D That thing is a blast dude.

529 278

@LordLikhus said:
While I'm on it, daggers parrying sledgehammers? c'mon.

I hope they do something about that.

9 3
 Valgys

@Christian2222 said:
I think no armors should move a little faster too, maybe not top speed, but acceleration? Dunno.
As for rapiers those are friggen OP ,_,

If you want a FAST weapon use the carving knife =D That thing is a blast dude.

Sorry, I didn't mention it previously - my teammate took the two heavies down with a dagger, not a rapier, if that matters. I use a rapier decently but sometimes lose to cleaver and dagger users simply because the weapons are quick and they spam left click and I can't get off a chamber. Almost on the other side of the spectrum to the 2handers but a little more excusable since I can take a few hits before I get into the rhythm of the duel.

I've heard people complain rapiers are OP, I think while wearing heavy armor that may be the case (and I won't lie, I felt like a Juggernaut on the field when I tried that loadout). The fact that I'm getting 1-shotted by any weapon larger than an arming sword while in light armor seems like more than a fair trade for the mediocre output of the rapier.

I'm not so much interested in super fast weapons, but rather a weapon that is balanced with a light armor build and allows me to really feel like I'm dueling rather than swinging wildly hoping for 1 shots or overwhelm opponents with a wall of left clicks. I feel the rapier while in light armor was something to do that if the mechanics were more balanced.

5 1
  • 7 May
 Havie

I have to say, im not feelin good about my light armor dagger build... doesnt seem very effective,
my run speed doesnt seem significant enough and the speed at which I parry attacks isnt impressive either.

Also I cant tell if equipping a shield affects my daggers attack speed.. it shud but i see no difference.

Knight 34 30
  • 7 May
 Oatmate

Why are people shocked that using more armor is better?

9 3
  • 7 May
 Valgys

@Oatmate said:
Why are people shocked that using more armor is better?

... Because more armor is just as fast as no/light armor, and by definition makes it imbalanced...?

Did you even read the title of this thread?

22 2

我覺得 遊戲 根本 不需要所謂平衡 機制
因為 我覺得裝備 和使用的武器和技能居然有點數限制 很可笑
你看過 電影或真實世界 為了戰爭 還限制 士兵 穿或使用的戰爭嗎
騎士都不騎士了
I don’t think the game needs a so-called balance mechanism at all.
Because I think the equipment and the weapons and skills used are actually a bit limited. It’s ridiculous.
Have you seen movies or the real world? For war, also restrict the war worn or used by soldiers?
The Cavaliers are not knights.

22 2

要所謂平衡
應該是要使 遊戲玩家每場 都用到 所有裝備 跟武器 來競爭
而不是愚蠢 的限制玩家 裝備 跟武器 要怎麼配 這比想像的還不自由
Balance
It should be to make gamers use all the equipment and weapons to compete every game.
Rather than being stupid, limiting the player’s equipment and weapons, how to match it, this is not free than imagined.

22 2

遊戲其實
可把 一些東西
點數 設置1點
例如 技能的吸血 你是想讓玩家 越殺越驍勇奮戰
而不是越殺 越懦弱
還有建議 官方 出一個 不傷害隊友的功能
例如 隊友在同一個一方 會 隱形 穿過隊友
包括 弓箭手 也是 常常 弓箭手 在戰場上 射出去的 箭矢都被隊友 的視線給擋住 或是被隊友 擋子彈 導致 弓箭手 常常 在戰場上 不好發揮
The game actually
Can put something
Points set 1 point
For example, the blood of the skill, you want to let the player fight more and more bravely
Instead of killing, the weaker
There is also a suggestion that the official will not damage the teammates.
For example, teammates on the same side will invisibly pass through teammates.
Including archers and often archers. The arrows that are shot on the battlefield are blocked by the line of sight of the teammates or blocked by the teammates. The archers often do not play well on the battlefield.