Mordhau

How do you guys fight against shields? Is shield too OP?

2 7
  • 6 May
 akaFear

Hello fellow knights.
Currently, my friends and I feel that shield is too OP right now. Here is why:

Shield users can easily counter all possible attack techniques, which includes dragging, feinting, morphing by just holding right-clicking button. Also. it is hard to punish because the only way to punish shield users is kicking them while they are shielding up, and the hit-box of kicking does not reach far which cause you to miss your kick really often (and in turn give shield users a free stab on you) Finally, even if you successfully land a kick on a shield-up player, most two-handed weapons are not fast enough to follow up an punish attack.

How do you feel about shield in the current state? Do you have some good tips to fight against shield players? Especially experienced shield players who do not make naive mistakes?

Love you guys.

Conscript 10 11

shields are not a full 360 block, you have 3 options. Foot work, stam drain, and kick. Kick is easy to maneuver away from if shield user understands food work, so best to face hug. Stam drain works if your in duels and dont have anyone else coming for you. Foot work is generally best. Try to move to where you hit their shield and then back away from the length of their wep. As they start the attack move forward and then hit them once they miss. Or try to dance around the sides with a left or right accel stab. Dragging a hit if your weps long enough can also be used. The best shield players will use shield like a parry instead of holding it up constantly. The only real benefit of having one is being able to parry multiple strikes from opponents. Just keep playing it until you can figure out what works for you.

3 0
  • 6 May
 Sombix

As a shield user, kicks to throw me off as well as leading me in a position to get surrounded or against 2+v1. Typically I use shield characters in a way to allow others to push or to zone out players from an area. I'd say be aware of other players, and maneuver the shield player to get his back turned towards others.

4 1
  • 6 May
 waveb

@Sombix, what would you suggest in a 1v1 situation? (when carrying heavy and slow weapons against spear/rapier +shield)

22 15

In general, I think shields is a good thing for balance.
If no shields - there would be 2h weapons fest. Swing hell.

Shields slows down dynamics of the fight.

Conscript 10 11

Parry, and accel a horizontal slash is a good trick. Or if they turtle immediately after you parry facehug them, parry, kick, accel overhead

2 0
  • 8 May
 Torquemada

So, trick is really simple, don't know if it would work for 1h weapons, definitely works for 2h.
You feint your first attack, then morph next attack into a kick, proceed to beating the poor soul, after beating - teabag, so they would think twice before choosing shield over normal weapons.
Works almost always against heavy shielders, about 70%-80% against medium armored and 50% against light armored shielders.

7 9

I am not a shield user and I don’t believe it’s OP at all. Yes, it takes a second or 3 longer to kill a shield user, but that’s the point. It’s oiterally designed to increase your defense and survivability.

Sellsword 203 244
  • 8 May
 Redeaux

Shields arent broken at all. The simplest way to counter them isnt to kick at all, just kite them out. Bait an attack out and just hit them during recovery. You can also jump stab around a shield if the user is a noob. Most of these "x is OP" threads just stem from people not having enough time ingame to learn the core mechanics, shields simply punish bad footwork. Spears are often called OP by new players for the exact same reason.

777 1029

@Redeaux said:
Shields arent broken at all. The simplest way to counter them isnt to kick at all, just kite them out. Bait an attack out and just hit them during recovery. You can also jump stab around a shield if the user is a noob. Most of these "x is OP" threads just stem from people not having enough time ingame to learn the core mechanics, shields simply punish bad footwork. Spears are often called OP by new players for the exact same reason.

I will duel you with a shield anytime to prove how wrong you are. You can do the same bait tactics against non-shield users as well, the difference is none of the other mechanics this game's combat revolve around are useful at all against a shield.

come fight me if you think this is fucking balanced.

Knight 3284 6718
 Bodkin

Shield in 1v1 isn't broken but they pretty much guarantee a gank will be successful. 1vXing with one of the enemies having a shield is pretty much a death sentence.

Timed parry shields like buckler and targe are different.

1757 1412
  • 8 May
 Rergato

There’s catapults in the game for a reason

Sellsword 203 244
  • 8 May
 Redeaux

@smellycathawk said:
I will duel you with a shield anytime to prove how wrong you are. You can do the same bait tactics against non-shield users as well, the difference is none of the other mechanics this game's combat revolve around are useful at all against a shield.

come fight me if you think this is fucking balanced.

What are: chambers, and 2hander range for 500

Also take it easy man, your brain scan is red hot.